It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronavirus Is Killing NYC Residents At a Rate Of 1 Death Per Hour...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: choos

Seems to me the steps being taken are to spread it out over more time. I'd think a better solution would be to concentrate on increasing capabilities in the long term. If you look at prior scares, they never seem to lead to long term solutions, so when it happens again and it will, they are ready to go right up front.

Quite right. And it's hilarious people are pretending this is Trump's fault, like he singlehandedly caused our country to become unprepared. Medical experts have been warning something like this was possible for years, and no one did anything. Not Obama, not Congress under either party, and to be fair, not Trump since he has been office.

It would be like blaming Bush for the country not being ready for 9/11, which some people did. Like it was Bush's fault the Cold War had been over for a decade but our national defense posture was still based on planes coming in from overseas. So when the disconnected, inefficient system we had on 9/11 finally did get fighters in the air, they flew out to sea, because that was the SOP at the time. Sure, blame Bush. Military and intelligence experts had been bitching at Congress for years to take terrorism seriously, but the public barely paid attention to it and our elected representatives didn't either.

So blame this on Trump. Don't blame us and our representatives for failing to take this seriously for years and not preparing. People who prepared for things like this were objects of scorn and ridicule (not necessarily on this forum, but in society in general). Well, now people need to wake the # up like people did after 9/11. Terrorism is real. So are pandemics. We need to prepare. We don't need to overreact like we did after 9/11 though. There is plenty of middle ground between doing nothing and going balls to the wall.

And what I'm saying is the public needs to be better prepared. How many things have to happen like Katrina, Sandy, Florence, etc, and now this? Uncle Sam will not come to save you! Be prepared!
edit on 21 3 20 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I think too much of the panic is due to it being in our faces thanks to the media's constant pandering for clicks and viewers and to a lesser extent, politicians needing to be seen doing something.

I have no issue with common sense measures, but the market crash and supply disruptions did not need to happen.

Seems to me the steps being taken are to spread it out over more time. I'd think a better solution would be to concentrate on increasing capabilities in the long term. If you look at prior scares, they never seem to lead to long term solutions, so when it happens again and it will, they are ready to go right up front.

They used to call it management by stomping out fires. Reactive instead of proactive. It's bad management no matter what it's applied too.

Have you listened to this guy on the front lines...

edit on 21-3-2020 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I think too much of the panic is due to it being in our faces thanks to the media's constant pandering for clicks and viewers and to a lesser extent, politicians needing to be seen doing something.

I have no issue with common sense measures, but the market crash and supply disruptions did not need to happen.

They used to call it management by stomping out fires. Reactive instead of proactive. It's bad management no matter what it's applied too.

Have you listened to this guy on the front lines...

Eh, videos of doctors talking about how bad it is need to be taken with a grain of salt after I saw this post earlier tonight about a doctor who got caught blatantly lying about how bad things were at his hospital.

Now, I'm sure, just like with cops, that one bad apple doesn't represent the bunch. But, just saying, if we can't even trust the doctors, what the #? Does any of us really know what the hell is going on?

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Did you listen to it ?

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Where is this info coming from ?

I can't find it.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:15 PM
link   

"They" had better find a way to get more Americans killed by this minor virus, or those who were laid-off or fired due to the MSM/Governors/NBA hysteria, are going to be VIOLENTLY pissed.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Jaellma
I think the real fear of COVID19 is based on current death rate and lack of acceptable and tested treatment for the disease. The infection and death rates of the common Flu is probably a linear rate, year over year, regardless of various strains.
The current infection and death rate of COVID19 is exponential and has the potential to skyrocket unless they come up with ubiquitous and standard treatment for it.

There is no way someone can sanely compare a 0.1% death rate of the Flu with the ever increasing death rate of COVID19, now at 4.2%.

Until they contain it, it must not be taken lightly and they must do everything in their power to control the fear and hysteria surrounding this virus.

The death rate of Covid is not 4.2%. It is closer to 1% now and even that number is specious because it is based on known cases, not number of infected.

Here is a very good article talking about the breakdown of the known numbers / data and how a lot of it is misleading.

Covid - Evidence over Hysteria

I am not sure where you are getting your sources from but the CDC and WHO both indicated weeks ago the world death rate from COVID19 was 3.4%. That number has now risen to 4.2%, as can be confirmed by several sources. I am not sure which site is as irresponsible enough to post 1.1% death rate totals when even the current 4.2% is most likely inaccurate as many countries have failed to report any cases or low cases. Some have not even counted cases/deaths from many nursing homes and assisted living facilities due to lack of resources.

I suggest you check out various sources and do your due diligence before spouting fake articles and numbers here.

Worldometer COVID Numbers
COVID19InfoLive
WHO

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Did you listen to it ?

No. It's 12 minutes of a guy we're told is a doctor telling us how bad things are.

How do I know he's any more credible than the one I linked to that got caught lying about how bad things are?

I don't see the incentive to waste my 12 minutes listening to something that may or may not be true. It's a #ing blue screen on YouTube for 12 minutes, how do I know the guy is even a doctor?

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Not sure.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Ok your choice...

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Seasonal flu numbers are estimates, we have never counted numbers like that in real time. When they did count them in the 2009 pandemic it was under 20,000 worldwide and 3,338 in the US.

That said, let's use last year's death numbers just for the heck of it. In the US the CDC estimate was 34,157. That amounts to 93.5 a day. This covid virus will easily eclipse those numbers with its exponential growth rate. Today alone had 63 new deaths.

On a worldwide scale the most cited flu death estimate is the 2017 Lancet figure of 291,243 - 645,832. I'll just use the middle number which is 468,538. That is about 1,284 deaths per day. Today according to worldometer stats the number of new confirmed deaths just today hit 1,663. It is hard to fathom just how insane those numbers are even though they look innocent enough at a distance.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   
There are in excess of 11 million people in NY...many undocumented and many who over stayed their visas... That 8 mil number is 20 yrs old.a reply to: Edumakated

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Ok your choice...

Do you have any particular reason to believe a voice behind a blue screen is a doctor?

There's been thousands of hours of media coverage of this the past few weeks, interviewing hundreds of doctors.

Surely we can find better sources than a voice behind a blue screen.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

Ok your choice...

Do you have any particular reason to believe a voice behind a blue screen is a doctor?

There's been thousands of hours of media coverage of this the past few weeks, interviewing hundreds of doctors.

Surely we can find better sources than a voice behind a blue screen.

I'll agree with that.

Be careful of news from unknown sources that confirm your cognitive biases..

That goes for everyone.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Jaellma

That 3%-5% number is likely absolutely accurate for the data.

Therein lies the problem though. It isnt something that necessarily increases proportionally as tests become more common either. The raw numbers increase, of course, but with medical issues like this, we tend to focus on testing severe cases. And.. Celebrities (I guess..).

Meaning, it has a 3-5% rate in tested cases. Sounds obvious, and comprehensive (deceptively), but until mild cases are tested consistently.. Which will inherently be the majority infected.. That 3-5% is likely to roughly define the upper, general limit.

There is also the issue of attributing deaths solely to Covid. I actually believe an argument could be made for this, but as it exists, this is not necessarily how other diseases are tracked. This makes comparison difficult, at best.

All that said, other than the raw numbers themselves, the stats we are seeing are more likely to be indicative of stats for worst case scenarios (and.. Uh.. Celebrities. I guess).

*insert obligatory "but that doesnt mean we shouldnt take it seriously"*

I think regardless of where one stands on this, there is a little something for all of us to take VERY seriously though. Things are very wonky, and we are in a position where we must trust people are organizations that have proven time and time again to be untrustworthy. Again, regardless of what side of that political aisle or whatever.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

This is a great post on perspective that everyone needs. Unfortunately, there are those who want this to be a #ing apocalypse so they're not gonna be interested in this kind of common sense.

ETA: I'm probably about to get a vacation for telling off an anti-military coward on another thread, so see ya'll!

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

If you're referring to USA numbers, you have to say that in your posts. Sometimes a few times, due to the international nature of this virus. The numbers here are much lower/better than the global average.

In the USA right now, 1.2% of those who have caught Covid-19 have died.

www.worldometers.info...

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:52 PM
link   

ETA: I'm probably about to get a vacation for telling off an anti-military coward on another thread, so see ya'll!

One of those types that my hero General Patton slapped, for whimpering in the hospital, while surrounded by brave soldiers who were injured in battle?

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

One of those types that my hero General Patton slapped, for whimpering in the hospital, while surrounded by brave soldiers who were injured in battle?

Just look at this. My response was already removed.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The death rate of Covid is not 4.2%. It is closer to 1% now and even that number is specious because it is based on known cases, not number of infected.

Edumakated,
The “official” death rate is calculated using those not dead yet as surviving the disease. Look at the outcome of cases. . .Death rate appears to be 66% in the US.

edit on 21-3-2020 by AlbatrossMaker because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join