It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do poor women have a right to have children

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I may be wrong but I think the point being made was the irony behind talking about freedom while calling for the government to control people’s reproductivity.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Liquesence

I've worked long and hard in life to be beholden to absolutely nobody.

You should try it sometime.

In America, we call that freedom.

Annnd:

Not too long ago in Texas, you didn't receive food stamps as a woman with kids unless you also got a birth control implant.

That should be a Federal law.

Tell me again about "freedom."

Sweetie.

Easily done.

I hit a low point in my life once where I was trying to divorce a bastard of a husband and left with the kids without a job or anything else.

I got the kids to my family, went looking for work, got on food stamps for the kids and lived on the streets for a bit to save money.

I eventually worked my way out of that, worked my way off the streets, worked myself off of food stamps, worked my way to eventually purchasing a house, then put a kid or two through college, then purchased a part of a company, then bought out the other owner, then bought a big piece of land, worked hard and built my house, kept working and I can now retire when I want to but I want enough in the bank to not rely on social security.

Any questions?

Questions, no. I'm not going to judge or criticize you from what you have gone through or experienced.

We all hit low points, and I'm not an asshole.

So I'm glad you're well.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

This is not a black and white question. I grew up poor, in the country, in a very devout Catholic household, and we were poor.

My Dad worked three jobs, and my other went from cleaning houses and sewing, to going to school at night to become a nurse.

My Dad died young from a cerebral aneurysm, and my Mother worked and manage to put eight children through college.

So being poor is not the real problem here. Being willing to stay poor is the problem.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I may be wrong but I think the point being made was the irony behind talking about freedom while calling for the government to control people’s reproductivity.

You are quite free in America to progress upwards financially.

My own life is pretty good proof of that.

However, we have a system in place that rewards those who do not strive to make themselves better.

So why should I have to pay for that?

Social safety nets? I'm all for them.

Generational welfare?

Not so much.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Maybe you should try asking, "why can't they afford it?" because the answer is late-stage capitalism and the steady migration of actual wealth into fewer and fewer hands.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:31 PM
link   

However, we have a system in place that rewards those who do not strive to make themselves better.

So why should I have to pay for that?

What system is that?

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Well can’t deny Life, Liberty or Property without Due Process and having children fails under Liberty. So it would take a court order. Now if the question was should you have children that you can’t take care of then the responsible answer is no.

But since irresponsible behavior is one of the many, many pathways to poverty, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Generational welfare?

What is that?

Explain.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Yeah, keep talking like you answer to no one... truth be told though, every single one of us are brown nosing someone to get a little food in our mouths.

Don't matter if your Trump himself or scrubbing toilet seats for a living... Everyone relies on someone!

Speak for yourself sweety.

I've worked long and hard in life to be beholden to absolutely nobody.

Oh, your so full of it... Unless ego & self delusion is a legal currency where you live, then you do answer to somebody, in order to 'eat'... just like the rest of us.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Okay. I mean none of that is relevant to what I said and I think you’re still kinda not getting the irony that was pointed out but...neat.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   

The US is a welfare state. What do you expect?

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

Maybe you should try asking, "why can't they afford it?" because the answer is late-stage capitalism and the steady migration of actual wealth into fewer and fewer hands.

Always reasons other than self responsibility.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

This is not a black and white question. I grew up poor, in the country, in a very devout Catholic household, and we were poor.

My Dad worked three jobs, and my other went from cleaning houses and sewing, to going to school at night to become a nurse.

My Dad died young from a cerebral aneurysm, and my Mother worked and manage to put eight children through college.

So being poor is not the real problem here. Being willing to stay poor is the problem.

You are right, being poor isn't the issue, being poor and expecting everyone else to raise your children is. People that have no say in the matter.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

You are right, being poor isn't the issue, being poor and expecting everyone else to raise your children is. People that have no say in the matter.

So I'm confused here. Are you talking about abolishing government programs that act as safety nets for families with children, or are you just mad that some charities had the tenacity to ask for donations?

...they're only trying to help.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Social issues are always the aftermath of economic failures. It's the last symptom of a society that is diseased.

When you have companys like amazon who have employees who can still qualify for food stamps while bezos can dish out billions to his few share holders, who foots the bill to keep those in charge and who feeds the people keeping the machine running?

Telling a woman she cant have children is not only riding close to the ethics edge, but rather unconstitutional by US standards.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Ummm...that is freedom...you can have all the kids you want, but don't ask for the tax payers to cover your ass when you can't afford them. You don't want your kids to starve because you aren't providing and need assistance from tax payers...well no more kids till you dont need that assistance. Freedom doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want and no consequences will come of it...what you just posted is some next level jackassery.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:14 PM
link   
1. Women don't make babies alone.

2. No. I don't think reproduction is a universal human right. I think the rights of the child have to supersede the rights of the parent. Babies don't make themselves but they will end up having to live with the circumstances their parents put them in. So essentially we live in a society that blames people for existing and forces them to take responsibility for the choices their parents made for them. Which I think is complete BS but that's the reality of it.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

While I don't agree with the government deciding who can and can't have children and when. I do agree with following the rules that could be attached to assistance from tax payer dollars. Want a kid fine...can't pay birth control...dont want to do that...no assistance. Simple and everyone still gets to be free most importantly the tax payers!

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 12:21 AM
link   
its not ok. you are right. you cant feed em why should we? no extra cheques for extra babies. put that foot down

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Of course they have the "Right"

The same "Right" that I have to pound 20 beers at a bar and drive home.

Is it a good idea..probably not.

Know yourself and be responsible!

I would never say "your poor don't procreate"

Just have some kind of plan...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join