It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School boy forfeits wrestling match because of his Christian beliefs

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Pretty sure there are weight/size classes for wrestling.

A 45-pound chimpanzee could easily tear my face off and then go out for a banana split.

www.smithsonianmag.com...

They say that a big reason chimps can lift heavier things than we can, is that they have less control over how much muscle they use each time they lift. Humans have a lot more fine motor control than chimps: we can do things like play a guitar, paint teeny tiny lines or thread a needle.

Chimps can’t, because of the way their neurons activate their muscles—they can’t pick and choose just a few muscle fibers at a time. We might not be able to fight off a chimp, but we can make some pretty amazing needlepoints.

Which may also explain the legendary R-word strength, seeing as how their nueral pathways are more rudimentary and their fine motor skills are not refined as seen in developmentally normal humans. Anyway, you're comparing apples to oranges. A 110 lb athletic female may be identically strong to a 110 lb male, depending on factors like height, body fat percentage, etc.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

originally posted by: KansasGirl
a reply to: JAGStorm

What a callous and flippant arrogant statement, Jags. About him citing his religion: "I personally think that is a pretty weak cop out."

Really? You don't think it took courage for that kid to forfeit the match? You don't think he thought about the teasing he would get? Or the push-back from his team members? Have some humanity, lady.....

I think the real question is why the hell are we having boys and girls wrestle?

Well said, KS! Bravo!!!

And thanks for saying it.

Thank you, Bo. I notice that no one who has argued that the kid is weak/cop out/lame/whatever for forfeiting the match, that none of them have taken on my response. I think they don't want to address my points about a TEENAGE Christian boy wrestling with a girl, which means having full body contact and positions which would involve their faces in each others' crotches, etc, how that might be a real issue if someone is trying to be faithful to their belief system. Not to mention the difficult time teen boys have anyway, controlling their erections.

We'll see if anyone wants to take those points on but I doubt it.

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Thank you, Bo. I notice that no one who has argued that the kid is weak/cop out/lame/whatever for forfeiting the match, that none of them have taken on my response. I think they don't want to address my points about a TEENAGE Christian boy wrestling with a girl, which means having full body contact and positions which would involve their faces in each others' crotches, etc, how that might be a real issue if someone is trying to be faithful to their belief system. Not to mention the difficult time teen boys have anyway, controlling their erections. We'll see if anyone wants to take those points on but I doubt it.

We'll see...

I sure appreciate and respect his strength of character -- much more than his strength in the ring! Peer pressure at that age is pretty powerful, but this kid has the courage and the strength of his convictions to take a stand. Those qualities will serve him well his whole life, and I daresay make the world a better for place for many others. And in the big picture, that's far more valuable than winning a dubious wrestling match.

Plus, when we do the right thing for the right reasons, the universe has a way of rewarding us in ways that we never even dreamed of...

posted on Mar, 11 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I still dont know what its got to do with religion? If its about religion then he shouldn't even be attempting to overpower any other human being or living creature.
More like social backlash and the fact he's been for the most part raised responsibly to respect women.
If he had of just realised his true motivation he would be able to hold his head up high regardless.
More so, and perhaps more importantly what in the world is a female doing wanting to wrestle anyone let alone males anyway.
Seems like the organizers of the event need to realise that this particular activity should never be allowed to be an open event. Or is that sexist?
Sexist i think not but rather a understanding of basic gender physics.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

You need to wipe the foam from your screen too! So eager to get your two cents in there, you never bothered to think about what I said.

Where did i say woman where physically the same? Oh, that's right I didn't. I dunno, if i gotta explain why men and women produce testosterone and estrogen, you got bigger issues.

And yes, female muscle fatigues less and is faster based on the science, that's what we know so far.

Sorry, "Because penis" ain't a reason and the kid using his religion as a cop-out still makes him a chump.

Edit: There has been some interesting results in combat sports. I'm waiting for football to go coed.
edit on 12-3-2019 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

It's a no win situation for the boy.

If he beats her the attitude would be so what? You beat a girl.

If he straight whoops her ass, he's a villain.

If he loses he's a laughing stock.

Whatever reason he gave, he did the right thing.

YES ... YES he did ~!!! and something to be said about the wisdom in his belief~!!

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

A 110 lb athletic female may be identically strong to a 110 lb male, depending on factors like height, body fat percentage, etc.

Uhm, no. Why are womens weight lifting records lower on the same weight class? Sure you could find a weak beta male, and an alpha female, but thats gonna be the anomaly not the standard.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

So his actions were self serving....how very Christian of him.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

How many other males did he beat that were basically not a fair match either?

i think he should have whipped that girl so bad that she didn't want to wrestle boys any longer. And if he couldn't whip her that pretty much justifies her competing in the tourney.

And the against christian values excuse is a complete cop out. I don't think Christianity takes any stance on girls competing against boys.

This kid has nothing to be proud of.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: KansasGirl

Thank you, Bo. I notice that no one who has argued that the kid is weak/cop out/lame/whatever for forfeiting the match, that none of them have taken on my response. I think they don't want to address my points about a TEENAGE Christian boy wrestling with a girl, which means having full body contact and positions which would involve their faces in each others' crotches, etc, how that might be a real issue if someone is trying to be faithful to their belief system. Not to mention the difficult time teen boys have anyway, controlling their erections. We'll see if anyone wants to take those points on but I doubt it.

We'll see...

I sure appreciate and respect his strength of character -- much more than his strength in the ring! Peer pressure at that age is pretty powerful, but this kid has the courage and the strength of his convictions to take a stand. Those qualities will serve him well his whole life, and I daresay make the world a better for place for many others. And in the big picture, that's far more valuable than winning a dubious wrestling match.

Plus, when we do the right thing for the right reasons, the universe has a way of rewarding us in ways that we never even dreamed of...

Well said!

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: CthruU

I still dont know what its got to do with religion? If its about religion then he shouldn't even be attempting to overpower any other human being or living creature.

Did you read my first response to you?

The religion part isn't about "overpowering another human being," as plenty of Christians are fine with competitive sports.

It's the physical contact and bodily positions that wrestling a girl would put the pair into, which may mimick some sexual positions and close contact with the girl's body parts which a Christian boy is taught to stay away from until marriage.

Why in the world is that so hard for you to understand?

(post by KansasGirl removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

i think he should have whipped that girl so bad that she didn't want to wrestle boys any longer.

Oooh... that'll show her! And what a badass that would make the guy... that's right up there with shooting fish in a barrel and taking candy from a baby. What a MAN!!!

Ahem...you speak only for yourself... and the sad thing is, you don't even realize that. Big sigh...

This kid has much to be proud of, and if I were his mother I'd be strutting like a peacock!!! Unfortunately, you obviously would not recognize or appreciate his strengths and virtues even if they bit you in the arse. Big sigh...

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical

i think he should have whipped that girl so bad that she didn't want to wrestle boys any longer. And if he couldn't whip her that pretty much justifies her competing in the tourney.

And the against christian values excuse is a complete cop out. I don't think Christianity takes any stance on girls competing against boys.

Some of you people are dense; are you being intentionally blockheaded?

The issue in this instance for a Christian isn't boys and girls competing in sports. It's boys and girls competing in THIS sport, because their bodies will be in intimate positions and put intimate body parts and areas into contact with one another, which many Christians believe would be immodest. As much as he might want to, a Christian boy is not going to roll around with a girl in a sport where their crotches will be all over each other.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical

Some of you people are dense; are you being intentionally blockheaded?

The issue in this instance for a Christian isn't boys and girls competing in sports. It's boys and girls competing in THIS sport, because their bodies will be in intimate positions and put intimate body parts and areas into contact with one another, which many Christians believe would be immodest. As much as he might want to, a Christian boy is not going to roll around with a girl in a sport where their crotches will be all over each other.

This so lame and backwards. To equate wrestling with intimate sexual contact is just so over the top.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I am a mom of two wrestling boys. I am very involved in the sport with meets a couple of times a week and tournaments on the weekends. On our youth team we have a handful of girls and the middle school has 3 girls. High School is all boys. Starting around puberty, boys and girls wrestling each other is very awkward. Even wrestling teammates that have wrestled together for years, once you reach that age, can result in embarrassment and confused feelings. Also, once the boys start to get their "man bodies", no matter years of experience, even if the weights are exactly the same, the boys have the advantage.

In my state, after middle school, they separate the teams between boys and girls. As I think it should be. Folkstyle wrestling could just be too much privates touching each other in singlets for high school kids to handle. That's my take on it. I will add, that on the middle school team, I have seen girls use this to their advantage, get the boy flustered and pin him. IMHO, my instinct says, that he was afraid of being aroused and embarrassed.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   

He's a good kid from the sound of it, did the right thing.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
A 110 lb athletic female may be identically strong to a 110 lb male, depending on factors like height, body fat percentage, etc.

Perhaps on a chart, but I've never seen that play out in real life. All the boxing or wrestling matches I've seen between supposedly equally matched men and women end up with the woman getting beaten. Whether it has to do with differences in fine motor skills or aggression (including a willingness to "fight dirty") or whatever.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'm glad he forfeited. The girl deserves to advance over dudes hiding behind misogyny.

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This is insanity. How these people do not understand a young man not wanting to do bodily harm to a young women is beyond me. Clearly the insane feminist have infiltrated deeper into out society than I knew.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join