It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miss America ends swimsuit competition

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

The point being that some traditions are damaging or no longer serve society's higher purposes and must go.

And you are the source of this wisdom, right?

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

The point being that some traditions are damaging or no longer serve society's higher purposes and must go.

And you are the source of this wisdom, right?

TheRedneck

It is a common realization by many, why, don't you understand it?

By the way, you previously stated the pageant lost one viewer, you, and perhaps many like you, well to let you know the pageant has now one new viewer, me, and many others I am sure.
edit on 16CDT06America/Chicago02860630 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

My intentions are obviously lost with you and Redmage because of lack of understanding or lack of desire to understand what real progress looks like.

Obviously we disagree on the definition of progress. I tend to think of progress as moving forward as a people, not bowing to the ridiculous demands of the misquided.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

you previously stated the pageant lost one viewer, you, and perhaps many like you, well to let you know the pageant has now one new viewer, me, and many others I am sure.

So, instead of starting a pageant you liked, you prefer to 'steal' the pageant away from others?

That is an interesting and eye-opening statement.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

a reply to: TheRedneck

Procreation, continuation of the species, passing on genetics to a new generation are the highest purpose of life... some may even say the sole purpose of life when you get right down to it. 'erego, physical attractiveness serves that highest purpose in by far the single most efficient manner available. Your argument is thus invalid.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   

you previously stated the pageant lost one viewer, you, and perhaps many like you, well to let you know the pageant has now one new viewer, me, and many others I am sure.

So, instead of starting a pageant you liked, you prefer to 'steal' the pageant away from others?

That is an interesting and eye-opening statement.

TheRedneck

What's interesting, you said you'll stop watching the pageant and I said I'll start watching it.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Procreation, continuation of the species, passing on genetics to a new generation are the highest purpose of life... some may even say the sole purpose of life when you get right down to it. 'erego, physical attractiveness serves that highest purpose in by far the single most efficient manner available. Your argument is thus invalid.

My argument is not about physical attractiveness leading to procreation, my valid argument is any damaging traditions such as objectifying women which is deemed damaging, must go.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

My argument is not about physical attractiveness leading to procreation, my valid argument is any damaging traditions such as objectifying women which is deemed damaging, must go.

My argument is that objectification is in the eyes of the beholder and the ones being allegedly objectified. The world has a decent number of women in it who actively look to be objectified... who the hell are you to pull their rug out from under them? Some women are more attractive than others, simple fact of life. Same goes for dudes. I'm a big ape with a gut and a gait that looks somewhat like a grainy bigfoot film shot by drunk hillbillies through a cornfield, thus: I diversified. I didn't enter Charles Atlas contests or dapper dandy shows, nor did I go to the organizers of those shows with the whine of "Ooh, these contests in which you judge men by their beefcake quotient and hairless pecs is demeaning and damaging! They must stop!" No, screw that noise all to hell, and why in the blue hell would I want a woman who was looking for that in a man in the first place, so I could get henpecked 24/7 about my diet, wardrobe, and grooming habits? Hell no, I went out and found myself a woman who wanted a knuckle dragging ape with a beard halfway down his chest who can burp Shakespeare from memory while field dressing an elk and crushing empties on his forehead. Perhaps the more genteel females who are all about that eggheaded attractiveness and who think breast size shouldn't ever be a thing that turns heads should have started their own Ms America... call it Ms America: Untraditional Beauty Edition or what have you, but for God's sake, woman, don't screw with existing institutions and demand culture changes from the minority position simply because y'all have the loudest megaphones in the piss and moan circle the mass media has created for y'all.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

As stated previously you can still have your T&A beauty pageants elsewhere, but not anymore with Miss America, deal with it.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   

What's interesting, you said you'll stop watching the pageant and I said I'll start watching it.

...after it was changed to suit what you wanted, from what I had enjoyed.

That seems to be the way of things lately. Don't like the Boy Scouts? Don't start a new scouting organization for both genders, make them into the Co-ed Scouts. Don't like football? Don't find something else to do, just turn it into something else like a protest event. Don't like swimsuits at the Miss America pageant? Don't start a new pageant that focuses on other attributes, just change it to suit your selfish desires.

There was a time when people would create the things they wanted instead of trying to take the things others have and change them. Those people were great individuals, who gave to society. Today's "movers and shakers" do not give... they take, and change, destroy, and then take some more. They create nothing. They destroy everything.

And like you, they are proud of it. That is the most perplexing part to me.

Again I ask: what else that I enjoy is next on your agenda to take and destroy? Do I at least get to know what you plan to destroy next? And what are you going to do when there is nothing left to destroy, when everything that once meant something to people is gone? How will you amuse yourself and fill that hole inside you then?

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   

a knuckle dragging ape with a beard halfway down his chest who can burp Shakespeare from memory while field dressing an elk and crushing empties on his forehead

You win the thread. I can only burp "Dixie."

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

As stated previously you can still have your T&A beauty pageants elsewhere, but not anymore with Miss America, deal with it.

We can have it elsewhere until the whiners latch onto the next one and change it, then the next one,m then the next one, etc, etc, etc ad-infinitum. Let me ask you this, what are you going to do when you finally hear a word you *should* have been hearing a lot throughout your life: no? What do then?

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
So hey … I admit I am a heterosexual warm-blooded male, and always like these competitions for the fact they tried to find most beautiful (in someone else's eyes … not mine -- the judges) women.

The judges were mostly also heterosexual males, in the old days, and they chose women worth my own time also to look at, which is why I ever even paid attention to these pageants, even as a very young teenage heterosexual male.

SO .. my question here, if they are ending the physical appearance part of this pageant, where can I go - as a heterosexual male such as myself who wants to see a pageant like the ones that I used to pay attention to?

Will there be any more pageants just based on female beauty ?

I mean, some women even like to rate each other on their physical beauty … is rating of that quality now gone?

Will there be lesser than Miss USA (Miss - Something - Smaller than USA) pageants that are still worth paying any attention to, or are we going to just quiz people and interview them without regard to physical appearance for all future pageants?

Will Mr. Universe pageants also ignore physical appearance, which is very subjective as well? *separate issue, for later*
edit on 6-6-2018 by Fowlerstoad because: typos ... when you want to say 'male' and say 'mail' ... you gotta edit that hahahah

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

It was changed to what the leaders of the Boy Scouts wanted and who thought it was the right thing to do.

It was changed to what the organizers of the pageant wanted and decided was the best course to take to move this in a direction they felt it should go.

Deal with it.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   

We can have it elsewhere until the whiners latch onto the next one and change it, then the next one,m then the next one, etc, etc, etc ad-infinitum. Let me ask you this, what are you going to do when you finally hear a word you *should* have been hearing a lot throughout your life: no? What do then?

Whining seems to be rampant from both sides of this issue.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   

a knuckle dragging ape with a beard halfway down his chest who can burp Shakespeare from memory while field dressing an elk and crushing empties on his forehead

You win the thread. I can only burp "Dixie."

TheRedneck

Ironically, Dixie was originally penned by Shakespeare in his lesser known "Hank Jr: Son of Hank, Father of Hank the Third" play.
To wit:

Yea, I wisheth that I may again partake of the lands of cotton
Ye olde times therein art not f'gotten.
Behold not! Behold not! Behold not! Dixieland.

I wisheth to again be in Dixie, huzzah! huzzah!
For in Dixieland, again I taketh my stand
To frollic and to wither my last in Dixie
Hence, hence, hence, earthward sup in Dixie.
Hence, hence, hence, earthward sup in Dixie.

Ol' Billy Shakespeare knew his poem and he knew his way around a fishing pond.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Disagreeing with changes one did not personally endorse or agree with is less whining and more simple disagreement, though. Look, truth be told, I've never watched the pageant. Don't particularly care what they do with their scrawney women with scant asses, narrow hips, and unimpressive busts. What I do care about is that we seem to be heading down a road of increased placation to the lowest common denominator with the loudest mouths, and that's damn dangerous. I'd like to see those changes and panderings nipped in the bud long before they reach the doorstep of things I actually do care about and would then be pressed into furious anger when they tried to make changes there.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
We still might have Miss Universe.

NSFW

All in fun, everyone Carnival!!

Or we go over seas.

So much for gluten free.

edit on 6 6 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

edit on 6 6 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The only reason I ever watched was because I was hoping to watch a wreck happen, or a fight break out.

Did miss Venezuela win that year? I'd say the rest of us sure did!
edit on 6-6-2018 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Disagreeing with changes one did not personally endorse or agree with is less whining and more simple disagreement, though. Look, truth be told, I've never watched the pageant. Don't particularly care what they do with their scrawney women with scant asses, narrow hips, and unimpressive busts. What I do care about is that we seem to be heading down a road of increased placation to the lowest common denominator with the loudest mouths, and that's damn dangerous. I'd like to see those changes and panderings nipped in the bud long before they reach the doorstep of things I actually do care about and would then be pressed into furious anger when they tried to make changes there.

The lowest common denominator with the loudest mouth are reaching the doorstep of things that most people care about.

When it happens, they will tell you to "deal with it".
edit on 2018-06-06T19:57:59-05:002201806America/Chicago6 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join