It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Samantha Bee proves hypocrisy on firing people for offensive jokes

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
Is that how you personally feel?

Nope, I'm with you. It makes my skin crawl too.

I've heard the arguments of "we're taking it back", and that "claiming it removes the power from the word", but if some white kid walks through south-central saying it... I'm sure people are still going to be offended. Thus, no "power" has been lost.

That said, I absolutely believe in free speech, and if people still desire to say it then they do have that right... even if it does make them look foolish.

Right now it's just another perpetuated line of divisiveness so that one group can say "only we can do this", and self-segregation will never bring humanity together.

I think priorities need to be re-evaluated on that one. Self-segregation and equality will always be enemies of each other, and that's the fundamental flaw in identity politics.
edit on 6/1/18 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ker2010
a reply to: redmage

Hilarious, as none of it offends me personally. I say as long as people don't call for violence against someone or yell fire in a theater let them say what they want.

I think the little snowflake is you cupcake..

Coming from the guy who thinks Kimmel doing a pretty solid Karl Malone impression is worth crying over.

Whatever you say, bub.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Im 100% sure you can find someone who is black out there who did/would, in fact, find the Kimmel skit racist.

I noticed you didn't say anything about Bill dropping then N word too.

Pointing out hypocrisy from either side does not make one a snowflake.

Stop pretending to be center and nonpartisan.
edit on 1-6-2018 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Im 100% sure you can find someone who is black out there who did/would, in fact, find the Kimmel skit racist.

And? I'm 100% sure you could find someone that thinks a rock is racist.

Karl thought it was funny, what other opinion really matters in that regard?

I noticed you didn't say anything about Bill dropping then N word too.

He messed up. He acknowledged it. That doesn't change the fact that you were reeeeeally stretching trying to characterize Kimmel as "blackface".

As for Bill, they say he got "too comfortable". He's always been seen constantly dating black women, and as of yet not one has ever come forward claiming him to actually be racist. That long history apparently worked in his favor (along with the way he acknowledged the publicly perceived error).

Pointing out hypocrisy from either side does not make one a snowflake.

I think it's a matter of how far you have to stretch to do it. If you're so sensitive and upset over Kimmel that you need to mis-characterize and whine about it here... that speaks for itself.

Ya just another typically lefty trying to pretend to be center and nonpartisan.

"Lefty"

Keep working on that intuition because it's failing you if you think I'm a lefty

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

So if Valerie had came out and said she was not offended by what Rosanne said would it have made a difference?

"crying/whining"

Keep working on that intuition because it's failing you BIG TIME if you think I'm crying/whining

edit on 1-6-2018 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Well, this thread devolved quickly. It seems like you struck a nerve, Grambler. The left hates being exposed on the one hand, and loves being in control on the other. Of course, it is the two sides of the left hand that I discuss. I have worked in Hollywood. Conservatives live in fear. There, you cannot be liberal enough! If you exude even a whiff of conservatism, the knives come out. They are patient. They wait for a slip. Then the Coup de Jarnac. What these people see in the mirror that they are constantly looking in is the drugged-out, fantasy-land version of themselves that is perfect and right all of the time. I could go on, but I'm tired of giving these people airtime.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I agree, there is a double standard.

Michael Che (SNL) calls Trump a "B****" and "a cheap cracker." I am not offended by this. I realize it's a joke, and by SNL standards this is mild compared to their other stuff. Not offended by Rosanne either, though I believe it was in poor taste. None the less my opinion doesn't matter. What does matter is the double standard. This was also just a joke, (also in poor taste). Remember the rodeo clown that wore an Obama mask? Fired and banned from the rodeo. SNL still going, no one fired.

Some fun facts about Michael Che.

In December 2017, Che was named co-head writer of Saturday Night Live.

His father, a history buff, named Michael after Che Guevara.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
Samantha Bee has apologized. She has no reason to do so.

I'm not sure building an outrage culture to counter another is such a great idea.

well I agree with this.

I dont think Bee, roseanne, kathy griffin, or anyone else should lose their jobs for being "offensive"

the point I am making is that the entertainment industry is overwhelmingly left wing, and time and time again they have one standard for people that offend them, but another when people they agree with say offensive things.

And that should be called out to show how ridiculous demanding thinsg because you are "offended" is.

I think it is truly up to the employer. If ABC wants to kill the show... they have every right to. If they choose to cancel any other show, they have the right to. If TBS chooses to cancel Samantha Bee's show.. they have every right to. I don't personally agree with either comment from either side but last time I checked, companies are allowed to set their own standards for their employees.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: kyosuke

I agree but it is not about being offensive anymore it is simple respect of office. When Obama was elected, if you said anything negative, you were racist. No matter what. Did not matter. It created a scared media.

Now, it is open season on DJT because he is a rich old white guy. That's it. No other reason. Those who 'resist' are praying for things like what Rosanne did.

If a comedian would have said the same about Chelsea Clinton the View would have imploded.

There was a time where a presidents family was not disrespected the way they are now. The other Rosie attacked his pre-teen son FFS.

Oh well...are least HRC is not president...

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

That's splitting hairs.

If they had wanted to take offense, they would have and you know it. The only thing saving Kimmel is that he's one of theirs. If Kimmel steps off the reservation in some way, "Karl Malone" comes back to haunt him.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Box of Rain

BINGO + the 1,000 stars I cannot give.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

originally posted by: ketsuko

No.

This is all so much fake outrage calculated to get people who are not politically advantageous removed from the public sphere.

So you think all the outrage over Bee's comment is calculated and fake? There are certainly calls for her to be removed from the public sphere (not referring to the OP).

I think it's as real as the outrage over what Roseanne said although I think it may have more to do with the perceived injustice of how so many people with the "right" politics (which is to say left-leaning) can say horrible things on par with Roseanne's comment and be lauded for it.

I get that and think we either allow people to be disgusting to each other or we stomp on them, but we don't filter what's allowed mainly by how we perceive a person's politics which is where the filter stands at the moment.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

And some of those same types of people cheered on samantha bee's comment as something great, and she got an award!

Her award wasn't for her use of the c-word, it was for her continuing commentary, and by the way, Roseanne has plenty of awards too. Sam B's commentary on Ivanka was spot on, even if the c-word part was offensive. If she had called Ivanka a "feckless dick" we'd be fine. Chalk it up to girls being girls and locker room talk.

Well, calling people c*** is absolutely awesome for social change.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

There are no racist connotations to what she said. You are comparing trash talking to racism.

No racial connotations, sure, just misogynist ones as has been explained several times over now.

But I guess you are saying racism is worse than misogyny?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

It wouldn't happen. He's still looking for his luggage.

It also wouldn't happen because I think he's too much the gentlemen.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

The only thing saving Kimmel is that he's one of theirs.

"One of theirs" saves him, eh? How about the fact that it wasn't "blackface".

Where have you been the past year?

Matt Lauer - one of theirs

Charlie Rose - one of theirs

Harvey Weinstien - one of theirs

Al Franken - one of theirs

The list goes on and on. Hollywood, "liberal media", and the Dems have been cannibalizing themselves for over a year now.

Again, I don't think this Bee situation has anything to do with left/right. The left has shown time and time again that they're fully willing to throw their own under the bus. I think the "double standard" in Bee's case is male/female. I think Bee is getting a pass for trash talking an "identity peer" and it seems that's deemed ok even when in poor taste.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: redmage
Where have you been the past year?

Matt Lauer - one of theirs

Charlie Rose - one of theirs

Harvey Weinstien - one of theirs

Al Franken - one of theirs

The list goes on and on. Hollywood, "liberal media", and the Dems have been cannibalizing themselves for over a year now.

Their just draining "their" swamp.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Then they've still got a long way to go!

That said, in all seriousness many of them were pretty absurd.

Read an article about a Rose accuser who claimed something to the effect of "he put his hand on my knee as if he was testing the waters". That's making-a-pass... in a 1950s drive-in! Maybe he was testing but people are sometimes awkward and that's nowhere near "assault".

Saw an interview with a Lauer accuser who ADMITTED it was completely consensual, yet she "felt like a victim because he was such a star, and so high up the ladder". Hell, that's probably WHY she wanted him, and consented.

A couple weeks ago I saw that some Dem gubernatorial candidate in the midwest was forced out because his "package" brushed up against some woman in a crowded bar way back when he was in college.

The standards for destroying livelihoods has grown far beyond absurd, yet Dems have shown time and time again that being "one of theirs" means absolutely nothing.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

There are no racist connotations to what she said. You are comparing trash talking to racism.

No racial connotations, sure, just misogynist ones as has been explained several times over now.

But I guess you are saying racism is worse than misogyny?

Yes what a conundrum for the intersectional feminsists.

They are put in the awkward position of syaing sexists remarks are no big deal.

Man do I love intersectionality!

Next week, we will hear how people that want certain islamic countries to stop executing gays are homophobic!

Great for at least a laugh a day!

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
Yes what a conundrum for the intersectional feminsists.

They are put in the awkward position of syaing sexists remarks are no big deal.

but... but... but... it can't possibly be sexist if a woman says it!

Man do I love intersectionality!

It does create some pretty unbelievable conundrums.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join