It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian-American Becomes First Turbaned Sikh Woman In NYPD

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

An Indian-American woman made history on the New York Police Department this month. Gursoch Kaur, a 20-year-old from Queens, New York, graduated from the New York Police Academy in May, becoming the first turbaned Sikh woman to join the NYPD.

Kaur is now an Auxiliary Police Officer (APO), an officer who’s trained to assist local police precincts, housing police service areas and transit districts. She is currently a student at Nassau Community College, majoring in accounting. Kaur told Desi Talk that she hopes her position as an APO will help her bring her closer to becoming a full-time, sworn-in police officer one day.

auxillary but whatever. she's going it.
my opinion is good for her. she wants to dot it and its cool. hope she does well.

i am also of the opinion that cops catch a lot of # and attitude and deal with assholes all the time. i think this lady is going to have a hard time.
im sure there will be plenty of assholes making their comments to her and/or about her.

what are your thought?

i posted this story to see how others felt. i feel like it is a non issue but i get the feeling others wont feel the same way and i am curious as to why.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I think if it wasn't a headline in a paper nobody would have even noticed.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I think if it wasn't a headline in a paper nobody would have even noticed.

hopefully. i hope your right.
people have opinions on this # though. im sure someone would have noticed.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I think she should lose the turban and not be allowed to wear it on the job.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

why?
not gonna dog your opinion im just curious why

link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
www.huffingtonpost.com...

An Indian-American woman made history on the New York Police Department this month. Gursoch Kaur, a 20-year-old from Queens, New York, graduated from the New York Police Academy in May, becoming the first turbaned Sikh woman to join the NYPD.

Surely Sikh women dont wear turbans? Its the men who wear the turbans.

my opinion is good for her. she wants to dot it and its cool. hope she does well.

Good luck to her she's going to need it.

link   

In NYC? People probably wont bat an eye. A-holes will be a-holes regardless.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Cool, I like turbans.

I think it's just an interesting side note. I can't imagine what kind of idiot a person would need to be to find anything wrong with it.

Who cares what idiot's think?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I had to Google "turbaned Sikh" I feel so proud we come so far...lol

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Cool, I like turbans.

I think it's just an interesting side note. I can't imagine what kind of idiot a person would need to be to find anything wrong with it.

Who cares what idiot's think?

define care?
know what i mean

if we all care what idiots think to a point. insofar as it makes for interesting discussion.
if we didnt care what idiots thought there would be a lot less discussion on here.

i think a lot of people here are idiots. people think that of me too.
in that sense. who cares?

you cant picture some dude with an attitude on his 3rd bud ice tall boy talking # and giving her a hard time?

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Interesting.....

There are no numbers available, but local Sikh leaders estimate at least a few hundred women wear the turban. In fact, there are more women who wear the turban in North America than in Punjab, India, where the majority of Sikhism followers live.

www.thestar.com...

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
The Sikh's are very nice people. a store I frequent a block away from my house is owned by a family of Sikh's and they are very respectful and nice to deal with

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
what are your thought?

Why not? Doesn't scare me...we're long past cops being male and Irish.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Of course, I can picture a drunk giving a female officer a hard time, turban or no. Whenever police interact with someone who has done something wrong they get grief.

Define care? You know what I meant.

Why don't you tell us what it is about a Sikh that would make anyone treat them different than any other cop? Not the turban surely?

I'm guessing you mean bigots and cop haters might use the attire as a reason to mess with her? You care about them and what they think? I don't.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

dont care what she, or any other cop wears, its about upholding the law. Her religion, or nationality , or gender dont play into it unless it effects her ability protect the citizens and the law.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Irish? I thought the Irish were treated less than black slaves? Can you explain your comment please i'm very interested.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Let's all give the NYPD a good pat on the back. They're so tolerant, diverse, and virtuous. We're that much closer to world peace.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

As a Woman so do I. I really do think that equality should be the rule of the day, meaning Everyone should be equal not separate. You can't unite people if they're always trying to separate themselves from everyone else. One mind One Heart.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
You can't really unite people and separate them at the same time by allowing instances that separate cultures. Isn't that what people are always pushing for? One bathroom, One Ideal, One Gender.

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
good story. Got no problems with it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join