It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public school in Minnesota requires English course aimed at eradicating white privilege

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ABNARTY

If you were black that has been the case for 300 years, with the exception of the last generation and a half...

Just saying people tend to forget that when pointing the finger at ghettos and welfare queens..

That said automation is just about to make ALL those issues irrelevant.. what does it matter what the min wage is or the estate tax rate when there ARE NOT JOBS for 70% of Americans???

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

What was the case for 300 years?

Who did I point fingers at?

Robots. So when the state takes over equality, won't they figure that into the plan?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

PST...

they take individual examples of random college kids, historically the most politically ridiculous group in any society, and pretend ITS PROOF OF SOME MASSIVE ILLUMINATI LIBERAL CONSPIRACY TO GENOCIDE WHITEY..

And these idiot kids have no power.. no authority and no following..

We would have to look up one of their names, because they sure as hell are not household names..

—/—-///——————

It’s yet another of their ridiculous unicorns.. people say they exist, but I’ve never met one...so exactly how much of a dire societal issue can it be?!?!

Pretending individual cases apply to half the country is retarded..

It’s a logical fallacy that would get you laughed out of a high school debate class...

But that is the basis for modern day conservatism..

“Listen to the words of this random nobody radical cleric, because he speaks for all the Muslims.”

“Listen to this random nobody college student because they speak for the left!’l

Often they apply people who are not even politically aligned...

The black panthers and antifa are not Hillary Clinton fans...lol..they did not go around putting on “vote for hillary rallies..”

So how exactly are they the democrats fault or responsibly?????

On the other hand the kkk types and neo nazi’s did go around putting on trump rallies..

It’s all logical fallacies...

Stuff that sounds good and means nothing...

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: Aazadan

How about just raise the minimum wage where a 40hr week will pay the bills and any overtime gets you ahead.

40 should get you ahead. It's not easy to just say raise the wage though. Businesses make investments based on the projected costs of labor. Wages have been declining for 50 years, it will take another 50 years of slow and steady shifts to reverse stagnation.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Automation is gonna force us into restructuring the whole system..

So really any min wage raise would have worked yesterday..

And it’s not political..

It used to take a dozen guys with rocks to kill a deer.

Spears made it take 5..

The adaladal 3 and the bow and arrow 1..

The same job but technology totally changed its labor cost..

We are gonna have to go full blown universal income..

Because THE SECOND self driving cars hit. It’s over.. like 30-40% vanish, basically over night..

Trump might just provide the pain required for real change..

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

If we are mentally masterbating lol..

Maybe the prices of things have been artificially low..

Maybe we should be paying more for things.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Here's a fact:

You have worked hard all your life to pay interest on loans that a select few are able to create interest on money created out of thin air. You then are expected to bail out the State that has given its monetary/credit creation powers over to a Central Bank that is privately owned and creates money out of thin air and enslaves your Government.

When you die you should further bail out the State and the Banks that created that money out of thin air. You will perpetuate the system that allows the State to not be held accountable to prudent spending and is beholden to financial interest's. You will perpetuate a state of affairs that ensures you will forever be in debt.

If a State cannot create its own Credit or cannot survive when it collects over 50% of every dollar earned then it doesn't deserve to exist.

Put another way - why bother dying. In your ideal world you should be indentured from the minute you are born.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:07 AM
link   

A) it’s not a whole course it is one chapeter of a larger class..
B) the “black teacher” from Minnesota doesn’t attend that school..
C) they only mention that one student criticized it..
D) every quote they use to make their case is lifted from the PERSONAL BOOK of one of the architects of the section... not from what is actually being taught.. This is such a blantant propaganda piece..

Thank you for saving me the effort of typing this. I knew if I read enough comments someone that had done some research and knew propaganda when they saw it would echo my thoughts for me. 8)
edit on 6-11-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:08 AM
link   

When your grandparents or parents died did you do calculations to freely give to the State anything they left you?

Where do you draw the line. Did your parents stop helping you or feeding you when you were 6 or 16?

Did you pay back your mother for that breast milk she fed you?
edit on 6-11-2017 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Time to move on, just as the Asians were one slaves, once the downtrodden, never received any benefit from their fore fathers. How on earth have Asians pushed through this impossible ceiling? Nobody wants to answer that because the answer requires a hard look in the mirror.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: subfab

Totally agree. I think it is one of those things that look more rosy looking from the outside in. If it were true, any generation could break the chain so to speak and make sure to leave something for their children. I doubt it would do any good since I've read that most wealth is lost by the third generation anyways.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

When your grandparents or parents died did you do calculations to freely give to the State anything they left you?

Where do you draw the line. Did your parents stop helping you or feeding you when you were 6 or 16?

Did you pay back your mother for that breast milk she fed you?

My parents are still alive. My grandparents left me nothing.

Parents help kids, you can't fully legislate it away. You can however end the concept of generational wealth which is a plague on society.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

The story goes on into greater detail. It is worth a read if you want to see how racism is creeping into public schools.

And from what I'm seeing and reading and hearing the unintended consequence of this is declining white support for the public schools, which is slowly strangling their financial support.

This can't end well.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
So, how is one group needing "more assistance" them getting the job based on their own merits? Or, are you claiming that the State can help them, but their parents cannot? Not what you claimed before, either way. Plus, which groups do you believe need "more assistance"? Quite curious on that one.

As for that claimed inheritance, heck, if you don't want it, my family could sure use it.

To me, merit means potential and ability. Neither actual ability or maximum potential can be reached, when one starts off life from a disadvantaged position. If the childrens parents were capable of helping, they never would have put their children in that situation in the first place. Most parents want the best for their children, that doesn't mean they're capable of providing it.

As for the inheritance, I don't know exactly what I'll end up doing with it. Technically it's still mine, it's just not specified as going to me in the will any longer. What I would like to do with it is something similar to the Franklin Trust at the Philadelphia Foundation, and lend the money out as a way to finance educations for people at a profit, with the intention to compound those profits over centuries for the occasional large scale public works project.

The problem is, as was proven with Franklins idea... education isn't a commodity that's easy to lend to. People can get an education and then default on their loans, while you have no collateral to take as compensation. Fortunately, my dad is quite healthy and still relatively young, so I've got plenty of time to figure it out, and I'm not completely incompetent when it comes to solving hard problems.

That's ridiculous. There are plenty of people who find great success in their lives, financially and otherwise, who started off with virtually nothing. As for parents, some do not try to give the best to their children. Some do, of course, and goo parents want that, but not all are good parents. That some are more successful, though, does not mean others are "disadvantaged".

So, you plan to profit from it, and use that advantage, all the while claiming that you won't. Gotcha. Good for you, but all others should lose what their parents earned? Loaning it out as a profit is an advantage, you know. Why not just turn it over to the government, as you have stated should be done?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

That's ridiculous. There are plenty of people who find great success in their lives, financially and otherwise, who started off with virtually nothing. As for parents, some do not try to give the best to their children. Some do, of course, and goo parents want that, but not all are good parents. That some are more successful, though, does not mean others are "disadvantaged".

Rates of success are not equal among groups. Socioeconomic status plays the biggest factor, but race is another one. Like I said, you aren't doomed to failure if you're a poor black child, you just have a significantly lower chance of success. It's like playing a game with non transitive dice. You're not guaranteed to lose each roll, you're just highly unlikely to win.

So, you plan to profit from it, and use that advantage, all the while claiming that you won't. Gotcha. Good for you, but all others should lose what their parents earned? Loaning it out as a profit is an advantage, you know. Why not just turn it over to the government, as you have stated should be done?

Who said I would take the profit, it would go to grow the fund so it could eventually pay for public works.

Why not turn it over the government? Who knows, maybe I'll do that. The current hurdle to that, is that it's not a lot of money. Such an action would only have meaning if a whole bunch of people did it, so that it could actually add up to a reasonable sum.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Always working, many unable to go to college, having nothing to pass on... have you considered that your family is one of the many who aren't successful?

According to you and others that subscribe to "white privilege", that shouldn't be possible. And, no, plenty of successes in the family, along with some who didn't do as well. Same as most people. Some worked far harder, to make more, and some were content with what they had. You seem to want to define "success" as "wealthy". That's simply not the case, for everyone.

When requirements for college are lowered, to allow some less qualified entry, that's rigged. When employers hire based on race, in favor of anyone non-white, that's rigged. When students are being brainwashed into believing that being white is somehow evil, that's rigged.

You have no idea what rigged is. Do you realize how rigged the system is in favor of white people? As a kid I had the grades to get into any school I wanted. I figured out early though that it was wrong to use advantages given by my parents and didn't go to an Ivy. Instead I went to a cheap state school I could afford out of pocket. I ended up with a couple degrees from no name schools (I'm still finishing up the 5th and final one).

That IS rigged, and everyone knows it. Who are you to say what I know or don't know, anyway? You claim to be waiting on some huge inheritance, and have the nerve to state that others should turn over their inheritance to the State, while you plan to loan yours out for profit, and talk about how others are, or aren't, successful?

Rigged for white people?? When someone white can be passed over for a scholarship, when they have better grades and more qualifications, for someone non-white to get it and fill a quota, who has lower grades, and lowered standards to meet, how, exactly, is that "rigged for white people"??? That YOU chose to not attend a better school, even though you had the grades, is YOUR decision. That some did not have that choice, even with the grades, because they were white, was NOT their decision. Nothing is "rigged for white people". That's a myth that no rational person could possibly believe.

Despite outright refusing to form a network at an Ivy, despite going out of my way to not build one at college, despite the fact that I'm an absolute dunce, despite the fact that I'm outright bad at what I do... despite all of that, simply because I left a favorable impression on one of my former professors (again, due to being white and having a wealthy family, just like him), a few years later I was literally handed a dream job by this professor. Never applied, never submitted a resume. They came to me, asked me to work for them, work completely around my schedule, and throw enough money at me that I'll be able to retire in under 10 years if I want.

You stated that you "had the grades", and now claim you are a "dunce"? Again, you contradict yourself. Do you know what that does for your credibility? You were offered because of how well you did in class, is most likely. DO you carry around so much guilt that you can't believe you could possibly merit anything on your own, that it all must be because of the color of your skin? Really? If so, I feel bad for you.

That's what privilege does in the US.

No, that's what guilt makes you believe. You "had the grades", you are working, you state, on your fifth degree, but you couldn't possibly have been offered a job based on your own merits??? BS.

Edit: One more comment on merit and privilege. There was a pretty good TED talk a couple years ago about a rigged game of monopoly. Here's a summary
planetsave.com...

I see that behavior among people all the time. They attribute success to their own merits, and feel it's earned. Even when it was due partially or wholly to external circumstances. White privilege in the US is quite similar.

So, you see other people who have done well for themselves, and because of your own white guilt you assume the same for them? Successful people are so because they work hard, and because they have abilities that help them to succeed. By your standards, you can't claim a single black athlete is successful on their own, because it's all just an unfair advantage of genetics, right? Anyone with genes, any skin color, who was born to be stronger, faster, etc., than others, should give up their position on whatever team to which they belong, and hand it, and the massive salary, to some skinny kid who was disadvantaged by poorer genetics. Right?

What do you want, a lot of clones running around, all identical, no one rich, no one poor, no one more successful than anyone else, no one different at all? Sounds like Brave New World on steroids. No, thanks. I will stick with being an American, and being free, and being who I am, not who someone else thinks I ought to be.

You know, not feeling entitled because of a wealthy family is fine and good. That doesn't mean, though, assuming that anything and everything you get in life is because of that, and that alone, and assuming that nothing you do merits anything at all. Being white and wealthy doesn't mean one is without any skills, any abilities, and cannot possibly actually earn something for themselves. Assuming it does is ridiculous. If you have all that guilt, why loan out money, too, instead of just giving it to someone you believe was "disadvantaged"? Your money, your choice, of course, as far as I am concerned. Just saying, what you say you plan doesn't match what you say should apply to others. Personally, I think earning more money off what you will have is a sensible plan, and doing so in a way that can help people is cool, too. You shouldn't feel guilty about having more. I'd assume the money your family has was earned, and not stolen, so it wasn't taking anything away from anyone else. On the contrary, I'd bet that people had jobs because of that money, that might not have existed otherwise, and were thus able to provide for their families. Just because they might have less than you did/do doesn't mean they were "disadvantaged". Not everyone will be rich, and there will always be poor people. Unless one is deliberately contributing to poverty, taking advantage as was done in some "company store" situations, with miners, etc., or, for a more modern look, "slum lord" types, there is no reason to be guilty for having money. No reason not to pass it to your children, either, assuming you have children.

Now, why "white privilege in the U.S.", and not other places? So you admit, the real attack is on the United States, and individualism and personal freedom, not on white people at all?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

According to you and others that subscribe to "white privilege", that shouldn't be possible. And, no, plenty of successes in the family, along with some who didn't do as well. Same as most people. Some worked far harder, to make more, and some were content with what they had. You seem to want to define "success" as "wealthy". That's simply not the case, for everyone.

How is it not possible? It's a function of probability, not everyone succeeds... race and gender just make you more likely to succeed.

And no, I don't define success as wealthy. The two are usually found together, but I personally equate success with positive impact on the world.

You stated that you "had the grades", and now claim you are a "dunce"? Again, you contradict yourself. Do you know what that does for your credibility? You were offered because of how well you did in class, is most likely. DO you carry around so much guilt that you can't believe you could possibly merit anything on your own, that it all must be because of the color of your skin? Really? If so, I feel bad for you.

Grades and intelligence have nothing to do with each other. People mistake me for being smart all the time, if I was actually intelligent though, peoples explanations for various aspects in the world would make sense to me. But they don't. I am incapable of understanding every day concepts like tax rates vs revenue (that's strike one). I am incapable of coming up with better theories (that's strike two). I can't simply go along with popular opinions. Strike three, I am an absolute dunce.

I could give other examples too... I have a research project I've been working on to solve a card game. I've been researching the problem in one form or another for 5 years now. I recently came up with another theory... assuming that pans out, that means it took me 5 years to solve a problem that should have had a readily apparent answer. Anyone with half a brain should be capable of solving it in hours.

No, that's what guilt makes you believe. You "had the grades", you are working, you state, on your fifth degree, but you couldn't possibly have been offered a job based on your own merits??? BS.

What does any of that have to do with my own merits? I haven't contributed to my field in any meaningful way, my boss doesn't even understand what I do so he can't judge my work, by my own standards my work is subpar. I'm definitely not working on my own merits. At absolute best, I'm repeating some of what I remember my professors telling me. Nothing I've come up with on my own, and I'm certainly not even on the level of my professors... and teaching is typically the bottom rung of competence.

By your standards, you can't claim a single black athlete is successful on their own, because it's all just an unfair advantage of genetics, right? Anyone with genes, any skin color, who was born to be stronger, faster, etc., than others, should give up their position on whatever team to which they belong, and hand it, and the massive salary, to some skinny kid who was disadvantaged by poorer genetics. Right?

Blacks don't have a genetic superiority. Athletes are also rarely successful, most find financial ruin after retiring and only have a couple glory years in their youth. Success is measured over a lifetime.

On the contrary, I'd bet that people had jobs because of that money, that might not have existed otherwise, and were thus able to provide for their families. Just because they might have less than you did/do doesn't mean they were "disadvantaged". Not everyone will be rich, and there will always be poor people.

That money would have existed regardless of what my parents and grandparents did. It would only be distributed differently. And yes, there will always be rich and poor, however the gap between them doesn't have to be as large as it is now. Additionally, the game doesn't have to be as rigged as it currently is. In the current system, the winners continue to win, while the losers continue to lose.

No reason not to pass it to your children, either, assuming you have children.

I won't have children, can't justify bringing another unloved kid into the world (not to say I wouldn't love my kid, but that leaves one more kid up for adoption who goes without). I could maybe see myself adopting a kid some day. All that said, I wouldn't leave them any money when I die, assuming I had any to leave in the first place.

Now, why "white privilege in the U.S.", and not other places? So you admit, the real attack is on the United States, and individualism and personal freedom, not on white people at all?

I'm not an expert on other nations, but from what I do know, most nations have a similar problem. Some are more active in taking steps to prevent it though. The US had it's war on poverty, failed to fight it properly, and never fixed the underlying issues.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

How is it not possible? It's a function of probability, not everyone succeeds... race and gender just make you more likely to succeed.

And no, I don't define success as wealthy. The two are usually found together, but I personally equate success with positive impact on the world.

You can't claim that whites all have some advantage, based on skin color, then claim it's not enough for them, and some can still fail, while at the same time claiming that said imagined advantage is the reason that people of some other skin color can't succeed. It just doesn't work. People tend to succeed or fail based, mostly, on their own merits. Not always, of course, but that's how this nation works.

As far as defining success, not everyone wants to change the world. Many simply want a decent life for themselves and their families, and don't much concern themselves with "positive impact" as a measure of anything. They will offer charity to others as needed, but not for "impact"; simply because it's the right thing to do. People with less tend to give more, percentage-wise, than do people with more, too, because those with less understand the need better, I believe.

Grades and intelligence have nothing to do with each other. People mistake me for being smart all the time, if I was actually intelligent though, peoples explanations for various aspects in the world would make sense to me. But they don't. I am incapable of understanding every day concepts like tax rates vs revenue (that's strike one). I am incapable of coming up with better theories (that's strike two). I can't simply go along with popular opinions. Strike three, I am an absolute dunce.

Good grades don't come to a "dunce", though, without cheating. Assuming you didn't cheat, you were clearly capable of learning something, at least. You don't have to be a genius, or skilled in every area, to be something other than a dunce, either. Not all with a fairly high IQ can understand all concepts. Mine isn't low, but I a far from a "math brain" type. I can understand the basics well enough, but I can't stand the topic. Other areas, I have far better skills/gifts. My oldest has a ridiculously high IQ, and was a very poor student, because she really hated the schools. So, some validity to your comment, but it's not totally accurate. Plus, some of what you list - popular opinions - is more a matter of judgment/wisdom than intelligence. Any gamer can tell you those aren't the same thing!

I could give other examples too... I have a research project I've been working on to solve a card game. I've been researching the problem in one form or another for 5 years now. I recently came up with another theory... assuming that pans out, that means it took me 5 years to solve a problem that should have had a readily apparent answer. Anyone with half a brain should be capable of solving it in hours.

Now I am curious about the project.

I do believe, though some would argue against it, that some "higher education" can actually make it harder for someone to grasp simple concepts. If a person goes through the system taught what to think, instead of how to think, they can have problems. That would vary a lot from school to school, and even from professor to professor, of course. Plus, there is some truth to the old phrase, "You can't see the forest for the trees."

What does any of that have to do with my own merits? I haven't contributed to my field in any meaningful way, my boss doesn't even understand what I do so he can't judge my work, by my own standards my work is subpar. I'm definitely not working on my own merits. At absolute best, I'm repeating some of what I remember my professors telling me. Nothing I've come up with on my own, and I'm certainly not even on the level of my professors... and teaching is typically the bottom rung of competence.

You were able to earn four degrees, and are working on a fifth. Again, unless you are cheating, and I don't think you are cheating, then you have some merits, something to offer. Perhaps your chosen field simply doesn't match your skills? Don't sell yourself short, just because you were able to do more, thanks to having family money.

Blacks don't have a genetic superiority. Athletes are also rarely successful, most find financial ruin after retiring and only have a couple glory years in their youth. Success is measured over a lifetime.

The point is, if someone does have a physical advantage, we don't punish them for that, and demand that someone less physical be allowed to take their place. Why do that for any other advantage?

That money would have existed regardless of what my parents and grandparents did. It would only be distributed differently. And yes, there will always be rich and poor, however the gap between them doesn't have to be as large as it is now. Additionally, the game doesn't have to be as rigged as it currently is. In the current system, the winners continue to win, while the losers continue to lose.

Sure, someone very wealthy has an advantage, but that's alright. Someone poor can have other advantages. Parents that care more, or pay more attention. More loving relatives, a happier childhood.

As for some continuing to lose, well, there are issues that need to be addressed, but they are more cultural than anything else, for the most part. When people grow up being told that all that is wrong with their lives is the fault of someone else, and they can't get ahead, because they are being held back, then those people will be at a disadvantage, and set up for failure. When a culture promotes violent music, and criminal attitudes, that's another blow to success. Toss in single parent homes, and gang activity, and many don't stand a chance. None of those are about some other race, though, and none are about anyone else having money.

I won't have children, can't justify bringing another unloved kid into the world (not to say I wouldn't love my kid, but that leaves one more kid up for adoption who goes without). I could maybe see myself adopting a kid some day. All that said, I wouldn't leave them any money when I die, assuming I had any to leave in the first place.

Well, certainly your decision. Adoption isn't a bad thing at all. Know someone who could not have children, who was able to adopt, after a very difficult process, and those kids are well loved!

I'm not an expert on other nations, but from what I do know, most nations have a similar problem. Some are more active in taking steps to prevent it though. The US had it's war on poverty, failed to fight it properly, and never fixed the underlying issues.

It's not an issue anywhere. From all I can see, white people are treated like dirt in most places.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

The only plague in society I see in this thread is statements like your's claiming some sort of "high moral authority" as to why I shouldn't bequeath my children what is rightfully theirs.

In a rich country like Australia where we pay over 50% of our income in taxes, you want me to prop up a Govt that has no hesitation in raising taxes, fighting unjust wars overseas, donating $110 million to the Clinton Foundation, and then to further dilute my legacy by inheritance tax to balance their crooked books?

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

LOL 5 degrees.. Yeah good call.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join