It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public school in Minnesota requires English course aimed at eradicating white privilege

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: subfab

That equation is not true. Lots of people work hard and are self accountable and the rest and are not successful. But the equation is a good start. And let's not act like racism does not exist. It does.
Is racism a huge problem. Not from my experience in a multi billion $$ multi national corporation.
If you go through the offices, it is very diverse. Now in the skilled trades very very white, and only men. Now is the skilled trade department a racist dept?

hard work + self accountability + some education = successful life.

successful life does not necessarily mean wealthy. it sometimes can.
i'm not wealthy but successful considering i started out life dirt poor.
i have a home, an automobile, clean clothes and a refrigerator with food. i have a wonderful life. simple but wonderful.

not one bit was given to me. i started working at 12 years old doing summer jobs. eight hours a day five days a week every summer. the one thing i didn't learn until way late in life is that debt is a killer to success. no matter how you define success debt robs you of a good life. we don't need the newest game console, or the latest big screen t.v., or the freshest $300 phone. if you can purchase them without charging them, GREAT!! but most people will charge those things not realizing the prison of debt they are putting themselves in.

honestly, debt is a greater threat to a population, regardless of skin color, than "white privilege."

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I would beesch everyone to actually read the article and the OP and even the articles headline is not at all accurately portraying what has been said..

They are basing all of that speculation over the fact they added “colonisation, immigration and the social constructs surrounding race”..

A) it’s not a whole course it is one chapeter of a larger class..

B) the “black teacher” from Minnesota doesn’t attend that school..

C) they only mention that one student criticized it..

D) every quote they use to make their case is lifted from the PERSONAL BOOK of one of the architects of the section... not from what is actually being taught..

This is such a blantant propaganda piece..

HOW DO YOU EVEN TEACH HISTORY WITHOUT TEACHING THAT HISTORICALLY, WHENEVER A MORE ADVANCED MILITARY AND MORE ADVANCED TECHNOLOGICAL SOCIETY ENCOUNTERED A WEAKER SOCIETY. THEY RAPED, PILLAGED AND CONQUERED..

Every culture no matter race or local, used racism and such to install them selves as the dominant faction. When not just out right annialating their rivals, of course..

The facts are that ALL of our ancestors were just about as crappy of human beings as they were able to be... by modern standards of course.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
White privileged is such a joke. Off the top of my head I can think of more black millionaires than white ones..

You cant turn on the TV without seeing Steve Harvey. Where exactly is this fabled white privilege?

We even had a black POTUS for 8 years .

People need to stop blaming white people for their effing problems. Your problems are your problems and you have just as much a chance to get rich in this country as any one else.

www.statista.com...

Given population demographics, white privilege is rather obvious from that one metric alone.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Generally those attributes are associated with employment but not exclusively. I think we agree that there is much much more to life than wealth.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: subfab
i was taught that nothing is given to you. everything that you need or want is worked for.

Nothing is given... until you expect parents to provide contacts for children and to leave them inheritances.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

So the school trades people not feeling safe for white males (plural) feeling humiliated?

Many of you [students] have made clear ... that right now, you don’t feel physically safe,” the article read. “Know that we will do all that we can ... to fight for you,” and that “we will teach rebellion against a broken world.”

Kersten discovered a required 10th grade English course adopted in 2013 by Edina, focused on colonization, immigration, and social constructions of race, class, and gender. Kersten published a broader finding in a cover story titled: “Whose Values? Educational excellence threatened by ideology in Edina schools.”

Students, especially young, white males, said they constantly were humiliated.

This statement should have raised red flags. If this class is making people (white males) like this, it needs to be re-thought-stopped.

One of the boys wrote on the “Rate My Professor” website that the class should be renamed, “Why White Males Are Bad, and How Oppressive They Are.”

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I nearly fell of my chair laughing at the title. Let me explain. An English course to eradicate White privilege????
An English course derives from English, yes. There was never a more white privilege race than the English in the empire days.
Can you not see the utter irony in that post title?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Generally those attributes are associated with employment but not exclusively. I think we agree that there is much much more to life than wealth.

yes we can agree there.
wealth isn't happiness. true happiness begins within ourselves. a long time ago i got a fortune cookie. the paper read: if you aren't happy with what you have, how can you be happy with more?

i kept that little fortune for a long time.

for me i define success as:
- not going to bed hungry
- no debt. (this one took me 10 years to accomplish. never been happier since my release from debt!)
- taking classes at the community college when time and finances allow.
- my occasional date night with my wife.

and all this could not happen without hard work and holding myself accountable for my actions.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

White privileged is such a joke. Off the top of my head I can think of more black millionaires than white ones..

You cant turn on the TV without seeing Steve Harvey. Where exactly is this fabled white privilege?

We even had a black POTUS for 8 years .

People need to stop blaming white people for their effing problems. Your problems are your problems and you have just as much a chance to get rich in this country as any one else.

www.statista.com...

Given population demographics, white privilege is rather obvious from that one metric alone.

Your ignorance is rather obvious from just that one post alone.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

i was taught that nothing is given to you. everything that you need or want is worked for.

Nothing is given... until you expect parents to provide contacts for children and to leave them inheritances.

Who should Jordan leave all his money and contacts too?

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Agreed,

Your resume and mine are mirrored. I too am debt free

HVAC community college classes, just enough to get the job I wanted.

And I bet you sometimes lay awake and wonder how the hell our country is going to get out of the mess that has been kicked down the road for decades. Debt and monetary policy(fed).

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Agreed,

Your resume and mine are mirrored. I too am debt free

HVAC community college classes, just enough to get the job I wanted.

And I bet you sometimes lay awake and wonder how the hell our country is going to get out of the mess that has been kicked down the road for decades. Debt and monetary policy(fed).

i think we just became best friends.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Please expand on this statement.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Sargon gets to the meat of the argument that there is no monolithic "white culture'. Most Whites identify first as individuals rather than part of any group, racial or otherwise. Minorities on the other hand have been inculcated with group identity and quite often identify themselves first as part of a racial group rather than individuals.

The founding documents of the US are first and foremost created for the benefit of individuals and to protect their rights. This is the basis of our Constitution. Those who wish to tear it down don't believe in the individual and their rights but rather that certain groups should enjoy certain privileges or protections. This is Marxist theory being applied and if not stopped will destroy the legacy our forefathers created for all people regardless of race.

It was only because our legal framework was set up to be modified that civil rights were guaranteed for all.
It's not wrong and it doesn't need replacing.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Could you imagine if whites were a minority in this country? We would all be in a cage somewhere...

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

No one. When you die, all of your assets should go to the state to reduce the tax burden on society. There should be no such thing as an inheritance.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Please expand on this statement.

If you believe that there's equality of opportunity, then you should also be against the idea of giving your friends or children an advantage.

Each generation should have to stand on it's own, no inheritance, no helping, no daddy giving someone a large "loan". You're born, you're raised, and you earn your position in life through your own merits.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

No one. When you die, all of your assets should go to the state to reduce the tax burden on society. There should be no such thing as an inheritance.

Then what's the point of someone busting their ass for their family and their future if when you die everything is stolen by the state???

This is why Communism is on the downfall in the United States. Nationalism is having a comeback and it's statements like you just promoted that will be your downfall.

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Well thats the dumbest thing I ever heard. We work hard so our kids can have a better life otherwise wtf is the point..

posted on Nov, 5 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Hmmm. I suppose that Democrats give more money to the teachers without asking if the expenses are being used wisely, so I expect a bunch of teachers would not like a Republican president.

What do they do to combat white priviledge, lower the wages of all the white teachers there? Flunk all the white people, making them do their homework?

Someone is trying to stir up racial biggotry here, I can't agree that cutting down white people is going to make them give blacks breaks working white people do not have, in fact, maybe it will get just the opposite result. Maybe they should start going after the real problem, the upper middle class seems to be too entitled along with the rich people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join