It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public school flies Christian flag alongside Old Glory

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Oh, FYI... there is nothing in the Constitution granting freedom from religion, it is specificially freedom OF religion.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Where does it say “freedom of religion”?

Is flying a flag the same as establishing a law?
edit on 23-10-2017 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Thankfully, someone else is handling that.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

SCOTUS thinks so.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

SCOTUS thinks so.

SCOTUS tends to contradict and overrule itself from time to time as well.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

You have to look at the context here. A public school is a de facto government organization, funded by public tax dollars for the use of the public. By flying a "Christian flag" (whatever the hell that is) the school is promoting a specific religion to the exclusion of all others. Thats a no no because that's effectively what freedom of religion means, that the government can't make law that favors or excludes any religious groups. When a public school chooses to promote a specific religion and excludes all others they are promoting their favored flavor of faith. Playing this game is what has led to Baphomets and other statues associated with various "satanic" or pagan ideologies being put up on public property. If the public space is going to allow one faith, they have to make a place for all of them.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

You have to look at the context here. A public school is a de facto government organization, funded by public tax dollars for the use of the public. By flying a "Christian flag" (whatever the hell that is) the school is promoting a specific religion to the exclusion of all others. Thats a no no because that's effectively what freedom of religion means, that the government can't make law that favors or excludes any religious groups. When a public school chooses to promote a specific religion and excludes all others they are promoting their favored flavor of faith. Playing this game is what has led to Baphomets and other statues associated with various "satanic" or pagan ideologies being put up on public property. If the public space is going to allow one faith, they have to make a place for all of them.

Alright fine. I expect everyone in this thread to protest Muslim prayer rooms in schools then, without calling it Islamophobia.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

Alright fine. I expect everyone in this thread to protest Muslim prayer rooms in schools then, without calling it Islamophobia.

In that context those rooms aren't used exclusively by Muslim students. But if they are then of course we would protest, Islamophobia be damned.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Humans have their own rules that they live by.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

In that context those rooms aren't used exclusively by Muslim students. But if they are then of course we would protest, Islamophobia be damned.

There are five prayer times in Islam.

Dhuhr: After the day's work has begun, one breaks shortly after noon to again remember God and seek His guidance.

Which would be during school hours. I'm fairly certain that Christianity does not require specific times of prayer, so context here is moot.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I wouldn't care if Christians had equal time and access for prayers myself as long as it doesn't disrupt the classrooms and education.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

SCOTUS thinks so.

SCOTUS tends to contradict and overrule itself from time to time as well.

Not that often.

Never on the FIrst Amendment.

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

You don’t want kids to pray in school?

posted on Oct, 23 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: OrdoAdChao

Cue sad trombone.....

I just have to say, we live in a truly remarkable and terrifying world.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   

You won't get any argument from me. I see no need to sully what are already lackluster educations, with religious indoctrination. Parents have the option of parochial or private schools to go for that option. Religion and faith are personal concepts and philosophies and this, shouldn't be a part of public education. It should be up to the families to instill those principles etc. in their children, not my tax dollars.

I already pay way too much in school and property taxes as it is. And even then, let's be honest, the Church I grew up in was one of several dozen in a 20-30 Mile radius from my school as a kid. There's no such thing as just "Christian". Do you want you Baptist children being indoctrinated by an evil Catholic for example? Or vice versa? Or maybe the teacher is sick that day and the sub is a Jew which doesn't go over well with some Christian folk in this lovely nation of ours.

The whole thing becomes a massive lawsuit waiting to happen. And who is going to lay for all that? The Principle? Teacher's? Supeeintendan or Board if Ed? Hell no, it's going to be us, the property owners within the district. I want no part of it anymore than I appreciated my kid getting dragged to Church the morning after a sleep over by the hosting child's parents who took it upon themselves to do so without calling to see if I was OK with it.

It's nobody else's business to instill the values and faith we feel most coforravle with in our own children.

Back to your Muslim prayer rooms in schools, I've got no use for them. But I wouldn't go ape s# at a school board meeting because they're Muslims but because no religion has a place in the school that takes their share right out of my mortgage and let's my know how much they took after the fact. So my position wouldn't be based on Islamophobia. I'm an equal opportunity offender, I loathe all organized religion equally. Please don't confuse that with disliking people of faith because it's not the same thing. I've got no issue there at all. People who treat me with respect and kindness are all I care about. Not who they pray to.

edit on 24-10-2017 by peter vlar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

flags are still up today

an athiest group in wisconsin wants to tell texans what they can do......

good luck with that

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
The old saying applies yet again:

The Constitution provides freedom OF religion. Not freedom FROM religion.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Huh? What does that have to do with anything? It's in the constitution. You can't promote religion on public property, end of story.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I disagree. The school should be allowed to fly whatever flag they want and you get to decide if you want your kid to go there or not. I think it's BS that we have to be sensitive to everyone's feelings all the time. People need to grow a backbone.

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

No offense, but that's just a silly catch phrase that has zero to do with this. We are free to believe and practice whatever religion or belief system we want as long as you do it on private property. Separation of church and state doesn't mean no religion. It means that you have to keep it off public property. Why do people have such great difficulty understanding this?

posted on Oct, 24 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

There is an older saying from this dude, perhaps you've heard of him, Thomas Jefferson were he refers to, "a wall of separation between church and state." Source

My quote comes from 1802. How old is your quote?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join