It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University president apologizes for hosting black students in his home with cotton decorations

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I mean, technically the cotton hasn't been picked from the stalk so one could argue it is more of a resistance to historical slavery piece....

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: CulturalResilience
If it wasn't for cotton many African Americans would still be in Africa not being able to afford to eat, let alone being on state funded Affirmative Action Higher Education Programs.

So....they should be thankful cotton was a boom in the south and their ancestors were slaves?

*scratches head*

I never said anything about being grateful, I Pointed out that were it not for the demand for cotton many would not be here to be offended.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I think Al Jolson is somewhat relevant to the OP. Is an Al Jolson record worse than a cotton branch?

The photo posted of him in blackface ends the discussion for most. I don't know what those guys were thinking, but it was considered an "accepted" art form among the masses for a while -apparently all the way up to 1978 in England.

The practice became unacceptable in the US during the fight for civil rights but it continued to enjoy prime time exposure on British television until 1978, when The Black and White Minstrel Show ended after a 20-year run.

For what it's worth, Al Jolson was instrumental in getting a black art form introduced into white America.

As a Jewish immigrant and America's most famous and highest-paid entertainer, he may have had the incentive and resources to help break down racial attitudes. For instance, the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) during its peak in the early 1920s, was estimated to include about 15% of the nation's eligible voting population, 4–5 million men, though probably much smaller.[33] While The Birth of a Nation glorified white supremacy and the KKK, Jolson chose to star in The Jazz Singer, which defied racial bigotry by introducing American black music to audiences worldwide.[

When one hears Jolson's jazz songs, one realizes that jazz is the new prayer of the American masses, and Al Jolson is their cantor. The Negro makeup in which he expresses his misery is the appropriate talis [prayer shawl] for such a communal leader."[30] Many in the black community welcomed The Jazz Singer, and saw it as a vehicle to gain access to the stage. Audiences at Harlem's Lafayette Theater cried during the film, and Harlem's newspaper, Amsterdam News, called it "one of the greatest pictures ever produced." For Jolson, it wrote: "Every colored performer is proud of him.

Was he a racist? By modern standards probably. But he didn't seem to be as much so then. Just saying there is more to the story than just the blackface.

I understand if we are going to get upset by cotton branches Al Jolson stands no chance.

As early as 1911, at the age of 25, Jolson was already noted for fighting discrimination on the Broadway stage and later in his movies:

During an interview[when?] Clarence 'Frogman' Henry, one of the most popular and respected jazz singers of New Orleans, said: "Jolson? I loved him. I think he did wonders for the blacks and glorified entertainment."

“When he was recruiting an orchestra he would only employ the very, very best. He was colour blind and if he was performing today he would be leading the way in terms of racial tolerance.”

al jolson

blackface?
edit on 18-9-2017 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I'm so sorry my opinion triggered your sensitivities.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: ColoradoJens
Why Al Jolson records?

He performed in black face:

He was born in the 1880's.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
He was born in the 1880's.

And?

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Very ugly center piece.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I figured his DOB was as important to this discussion.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I figured if people didn't get my allusions to Sambo dolls and Al Jolson they would look them up, do their own research on why I referenced them and possibly offer their opinion.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: mtnshredder
I'm offended that they're offended.

This post offended me because you can re-arrange the letters in the above post to spell. . .

"Gin poo smells".
It smells like someone shat a Christmas tree...with a dead skunk.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Hmmm saw the thread, decided naaw leave it alone, then it popped up on my FB page, went to Raw story link... Seemed the Professor was indeed
taking a piss, the meal itself was black themed, well many may say soo??..my answer the cuisine..slave food, the décor, cotton , an allusion to one of the occupations of American slaves, reactionary?? Maybe a lil, farfetched.. Far from it.
Addendum, the night before Latino students came to dinner, they were served up tacos, the cotton decor absent.
Not too certain how many Latinos were Mexicans, Dominicans etc..
Listen just go with the damn steak or seafood.
edit on 19-9-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
It should be noted if blk folks even back then found it offensive, rather than just hyper sensitive moderns.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

True, it's a snapshot of a bygone era and not everyone's sensibilities are the same.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Little Black Sambo was from India.
Amazon
edit on b000000302017-09-19T07:32:53-05:0007America/ChicagoTue, 19 Sep 2017 07:32:53 -0500700000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Amazon

Well that story certainly was, the name itself is from the Ki-kongo word Nzambu meaning monkey, passed into English, Spanish and Portuguese as Zambo, sometimes south Asians were classed as blacks back in the day.
The long association with Blks as Monkees.
edit on 19-9-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: butcherguy
Amazon

Well that story certainly was, the name itself is from the Ki-kongo word Nzambu meaning monkey, passed into English, Spanish and Portuguese as Zambo, sometimes south Asians were classed as blacks back in the day.
The long association with Blks as Monkees.

This is true.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I figured if people didn't get my allusions to Sambo dolls and Al Jolson they would look them up, do their own research on why I referenced them and possibly offer their opinion.

Lest we forget:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Jesus Christ.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Won't be long until he will have to apologize for hosting white students in his home.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

a reply to: Liquesence

Jesus Christ.

I have read about black historians that have huge collections of that kind of stuff, much of it far worse than that.

This is one of the items I remembered.
It is sick, no other description fits.
The Undefeated
edit on b000000302017-09-19T10:02:12-05:0010America/ChicagoTue, 19 Sep 2017 10:02:12 -05001000000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join