It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University president apologizes for hosting black students in his home with cotton decorations

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

What would make you happy? It appears these folks are trying to bridge a gap of sensitivity, that indeed, they are trying. I wouldn't bother because it appears some people will never be satisfied.

By the way, cotton stalks are a big trend in decorating, made popular by the fixer upper tv show, nothing to do with racism, just a trend started by some home renovators / designers. Nothing nefarious about it, just trying to make things look nice.

My parents own a company in a big city in Texas. Said city is majority Hispanic, so said city's population is about 60% Hispanic. My parent's company is about 70% ethnic makeup, not just Hispanic. We are mongrel whites, lol. They have had a Christmas party every year for about 10 years, and have tried many different foods, catering companies, but they prefer tacos every time, so my parents serve tacos and Mexican food that they like, because, duh! it's what they prefer to eat. Are my parents racist for this?

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

People need to stop apologizing and catering to such baboonery.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Get rid of those gosh darn confederate stocks of cotton. Don't even focus on all the expensive stuff in his house, or why he has money to buy that expensive stuff.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I guess they don't realize cotton season only lasts a couple of weeks, right?
Nobody was picking cotton every day.
My dad picked it as a kid in Arkansas during the depression.
Yet his favorite shirts were cotton Tees.
Somehow he got over it and these kids whose great-great-great-great-grandparents may or may not have picked any cotton at all can't.

I think I might go intimidate some college kids with Q-tips just for fun.
"Don't make me use these!"
O - M -G.......

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

#1 you must be concerned about skin color, I am not-didn't even mention it or cross my mind.

#2 what does Sen. mean? (quote from your post)"As well may be the case Sen."

It didn't? Then why did you say '' So basically he is called a racist and now he gets to coddle the facebook freaks.'' I pointed out that I could find no reference to him being called racist by the students.

2.. Sorry, sen, was a mistake. I ment sea, a short version of your handle. My eyes are not a clear as they once were and i took the third letter as an n instead of an a.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Seems a bit of an overreaction, to be sure.

On a slightly tangential point, probably the closest thing I've seen personally to a truly racist encounter was in high school, where the ancient white chemistry teacher told a black kid in front to me to get his "cotton picking hands off" of some piece of lab equipment.

edit on 17-9-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Recognizing the buzz word of racism is not the same as being racist or using skin color to prove or dis prove an action.

I do not care what color these privileged cry babies are. But the wording of your post seems to make assumptions that I do, at the least.

Again, I did not use skin color in any of my posts, you did.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Recognizing the buzz word of racism is not the same as being racist or using skin color to prove or dis prove an action.

I do not care what color these privileged cry babies are. But the wording of your post seems to make assumptions that I do, at the least.

Again, I did not use skin color in any of my posts, you did.

You are right, you did not use skin color in any of your posts, nor did i intend to suggest so. If you feel that I did I can assure you that I did not intend any such accusation.

And yes I did.
You present a small event that can be if wished, blown out of proportion only because of the popularity of racial discomforts. This article and this thread revolve around the racial issues and there is no denying that. So no, you did not mention skin color but it is woven into the fabric of the thread itself.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Fair enough.

Seems that the student/s automatically assume racism and the principal automatically apologizes. This is not how the real world works, and this is a dis service to allow the inmates to run the college asylum.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I think I'm going to start going to college campuses and pointing out everything which offends me and demand written apologies from the school presidents.

This could be a new sport. The walking will help keep my weight down so, healthy too.

I think I'll start will Cal Berkeley. Their famous tower is phallic shaped which is obviously sexist and meant to degrade women. They might think it's just a tower. Pffft. It looks like a huge erection pointing to the sky. I'm in tears over such blatant and crude sexism.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
I think I'm going to start going to college campuses and pointing out everything which offends me and demand written apologies from the school presidents.

This could be a new sport. The walking will help keep my weight down so, healthy too.

I think I'll start will Cal Berkeley. Their famous tower is phallic shaped which is obviously sexist and meant to degrade women. They might think it's just a tower. Pffft. It looks like a huge erection pointing to the sky. I'm in tears over such blatant and crude sexism.

If you can take the finger pointing and laughing.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

You're completely unaware of how college campuses work.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
a reply to: Deaf Alien

You're completely unaware of how college campuses work.

Your psychic ability is broken.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   

"Sharing their concern" does not necessarily equate to assuming racism, but way to go with the hyperbole.

Apologizing for the concern is just a polite thing to do. But being polite is just too pc I guess.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

What could they be concerned about in the principals private home with a centerpiece that contained a dried cotton plant?

This stinks of college privilege to me and leadership that cant find their ass with both hands.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

So Hillary Clinton's hot sauce all over again?

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
This ties in perfectly with this ATS thread about Hobby Lobby selling cotton stalks as decor.
Some retard got triggered...
OMG!!! Cotton!!!

These are the same idiots advocating a civil war basically because "right wingers"

These people wouldnt last half a day if stuff really got tough around here.......christ.......maybe we do need a culling....

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

"Sharing their concern" does not necessarily equate to assuming racism, but way to go with the hyperbole.

Apologizing for the concern is just a polite thing to do. But being polite is just too pc I guess.

no the problem is doing things like that just emboldens the ridiculous behavior.......

They dont need to be enabled they need to understand they are being ridiculous....

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Um, no.

A concern is a hole in your roof when rainy season is coming, or you don't have enough money to make rent, or a loved one is in the hospital about to have surgery.

A concern is not a frickin arrangement of cotton as a center piece, not unless you're a little cupcake that is. What's next, a fruit arrangement with two apples and a banana is sexist and something to be concerned about?

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
When is one of these professors gonna stick up for themselves? These people are supposed to be teachers. More like pushovers. Tell them to go # themselves, and don't apologize for that either.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join