It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Houston Pastor JOEL OSTEEN Will NOT Open His Mega-Church To Flood Victims!.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
For those who don't know, Joel Osteen is a pastor who now has one of the largest Christian "Mega Churches" in the country. It's in Houston. Who is Joel Osteen?: en.wikipedia.org...

Houston-based celebrity pastor Joel Osteen is coming under fire on Twitter for not opening up the doors to his Church for storm victims to take shelter.

Osteen — pastor at Houston’s Lakewood Church — has kept the doors closed even though pictures on Twitter appear to show that the Church escaped the brunt of the storm. Lakewood Church — which was formerly an NBA arena called The Summit, home to the Houston Rockets — holds 16,800 people.
Source: www.mediaite.com...

I really don't know what to say. "Shame on you!" is not anywhere near strong enough. Talk about giving Christians and Christian Pastors a bad reputation! Jesus.

-CareWeMust

You missed the key word that explains the whole faux pas. He is a CELEBRITY "pastor. He is an actor/snake oil salesman. All to collect his tithings to support his extravagant lifestyle.

He should be exiled for this reprehensible display of dross that obviously he is - just like his Bible teaches.

I am not bashing religion - I personally am not religious - but I think if that is what you believe in and you don't try to push it off onto others then you are entitled to your beliefs. Not looking out for your fellow human during this time of tragedy is just unimaginable.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoei live in north carolina and every one tells me the lord said i should give ten percent of my money as a tithe. i remind them tithe means taxes and then i remind them how jesus got in trouble when he messed with the tax collectors in his fathers house. they then tell me i made that part up. like i said fema needs to seize it temporarily to help. do you think owners of superdome just gave fema the keys .

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Can't expect much else from someone who makes a living deceptively. If there's a any lesson to the supporters of his to drop giving him cash, this fine example is it. After all he doesn't care for the community he took so much from.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jobeycool
Let me guess,more BS political garbage against conservative christians.I doubt that is a good place to open up for people anyways because that is such a big church they would be having something there all week.
They got places figured out by now anyways.

Right, call it for what it really is instead of partisan rhetoric. I don't believe most conservatives align with the liar televangelists. It's a smaller group, being suckered into giving donations. This will hopefully wake them up.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: carewemust

This is Joel Osteen's house in Houston:

Just the one helipad, really?

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

Do you mean the pool?

I don't see a helipad.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jobeycool
Let me guess,more BS political garbage against conservative christians.I doubt that is a good place to open up for people anyways because that is such a big church they would be having something there all week.
They got places figured out by now anyways.

It's not a political thing almost no one brought up politics in the thread.

He's just a jerk. It's a jerk thing to do regardless of where he falls politically.

I really doubt he's a Christian at all. He's probably A non-believer, one particularly devoid of ethics who realised he could make a killing running a tax-free business selling his snake oil to the ignorant and the fearful.

There are a lot of those types running the bigger mega churches in America, and don't get me started on the faith healer scum.
edit on -050001am8kam by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

**phew**

I was worried there for a bit...

I'll be moving, sometime within the next couple of months ((((knockin' on wood)))), it'll be in southern Tennessee, northern Alabama, maybe the western Carolinas... The south, in any case. It's where much of my family settled in pre-revolutionary America. Illinois and Indiana feature prominently in family history/lore, as well...

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Lol, and then he'll sit there giving sermons on the "good Samaritan," or the parable of the rich man and Lazarus...

How can people not see the hypocrisy of these televised wolves in sheep's clothing.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Oh look a good Christian promoting love and tolerance just like jesus would have.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
It is not surprising but to be honest...did you see how people left the Superdome after Katrina?

I'd like you to go away, read up and what exactly happened at the Superdome, the conditions in which those people suffered through, and then come back here and apologise. Because it sounds as if you are blaming them for the hell that they went through.
I do NOT like what this website has become.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

This is Joel Osteen's house in Houston:

and this is his other house, in Pensacola:

Meanwhile, he can't open up the megachurch cash cow to his neighbors who are losing everything? Televangelists make politicians look good.

Because mesus and his apostles all had mansions.........

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Abysha

And he's keeping those doors locked... tax free.

Bastard.

The IRS can enact a "carve out" to revoke the church's tax exempt status. Osteen will have to raise the price of his books and shake-down the members harder.

I went to a large church here in Illinois that used to take up 3 collections per service.

I didn't know about a "carve out" clause. Why don't we do that to all the megachurches?

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
Lol, and then he'll sit there giving sermons on the "good Samaritan," or the parable of the rich man and Lazarus...

How can people not see the hypocrisy of these televised wolves in sheep's clothing.

Posts like these from some of you guys makes me go back and read your earlier posts a little more differently.

If this asshole did nothing else, he at least did that. Maybe we all just need more blatant hypocrisy to unite us "normal" folk. I know the left has examples, don't get me wrong but... I think these mega-churches are a great place to start.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

??
I buy Mello Yello at my local grocery all the time. Now, Lime Coke [ not that diet crap ] is hard to find! Although, truth be told, it's probably a good thing I can't find it anymore. I was going through a 12 pack every 2 days.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

You are required to forgive him.
Judgement isn't ours to mete out, we're all on the same level. Sin is sin the measure of it is set in stone.If you don't forgive you hold on and allow whatever it is to control your thoughts. Holding on usually leads to hatred, which is spiritual murder.

I don't like Osteen, but I forgive him for what he's done. I wont partake in HIS sin. The people who allow this man to itch their ears may see him in a different light now.
If his church doesn't rebuke him then shame on them. Mammon is the master for over 70% of the Earth. This pastor is of the world. Jesus will rebuke him if he doesn't repent.
Please don't hate him or be unforgiving.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Godless, heartless, bastard.

Lets make something superbly, brilliantly, and crystal clear shall we? The Church, whether it be of Catholic or Protestant persuasion, has a duty to open its doors to the needy, no matter how many there happen to be, or what faith they hold, if any at all, AND regardless of what the Superdome looked like after Katrina.

Clothing the naked, sheltering the homeless, feeding the hungry, healing the sick. These are central to the core belief of actual Christians, those who pay more than lip service to the faith they claim to hold. Those with the most space and material resource are expected in times of need, to put the most of those resources to work for the benefit of those who have need. Christians are expected during these times, to inconvenience themselves to ridiculous degrees, in order to protect those who need it, from whatever may threaten them, and this pastor, this mega-Church shows its illegitimacy by refusing to even allow people to sleep upon its floor.

Christs message is not best spread by way of prettily stage managed services, televised to the idiot boxes in the homes of the mentally incompetent. It is spread far better and far more usefully, deeply, by actions which positively effect those who hear it. Christs message of love for people, respect for the down at heel, care and compassion for those whose circumstances are not of their own making, and even for those who have damaged themselves in ignorance, is not spread very effectively, if the owners of a huge building of the sort in question, cannot move themselves to give it over to those who have the most need of its shelter.

If you are telling me that a person who has greater concern for the fabric and cleanliness of his premises, than he does for the well being of those he COULD aid by permitting refuge be taken in it, intends to enter heaven one day, then I will tell you that by the words of Christ himself, this is unlikely to go the way this "pastor" expects, when his time comes.

I suspect this man to be a liar, a fraud, a faithless actor. At best his priorities are wrong, but at worst? Just another charlatan.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Just read through the thread and I agree with most comments. Osteen has become filthy rich off of selling his prosperity gospel and he has a duty to help in this situation.

That being said, it would be unwise for him to simply open his doors without being prepared first. If he were open the doors to potentially thousands of people without having food, supplies, medical assistance, etc, in place it could lead to even bigger issues.

Not only that, but the church is right in the thick of the mess. It may be a bit difficult to the get all the supplies needed together in a short amount of time.

I understand what people are saying here, but I think we may have jumped the gun and do not know all the facts surrounding this issue.
edit on 29-8-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius
You are right anyone that claims to be Christian has to forgive this man. It's one of the biggest things of their faith. I however don't have that problem. Jail is too good for this lowlife so of a something he should be horsewhipped. Then take everything away from him because he obviously committed theft by deception. He gained his wealth by pretending to be a man of God when he obviously isn't.

edit on 4900000004231America/ChicagoTue, 29 Aug 2017 05:45:42 -05002010 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

I believe in Jesus, but this mans sin is not against me personally, but against Christ, and the victims of the flooding. It is therefore upon Christ to forgive him, and upon those whose lives in the near term, will be all the more harrowing for the lack of a decent place to rest their heads, to forgive him.

All I can do is shake my head and despair.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join