It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catastrophic rainfall predicted for TX, LA, gulf coast region.

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime
a reply to: kosmicjack

I just heard someone say the models are showing it going offshore, and towards New Orleans. Do you know if any models showed that?

There are 47 weather prediction software routines (aka "models") in use. One will always show a worst case scenario. Sometimes it gets "lucky" too.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Houston here. Still raining and expected to continue. Schools are closed throughout the week. Unprecedented flooding.

I am in a good spot and in no danger from the flood, except I can't get anywhere. Thanks for all the well wishes. We will see how bad it gets.
edit on 27-8-2017 by Dapaga because: clarify

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Question...if huge portions of Texas will be uninhabitable for weeks/months...where will people go? Where can they go? People were farmed out all over the country after Katrina. But here, no way can they go to Lake Charles or Baton Rouge or NOLA because those areas could face flooding and evacs too. Same with San Antonio and Austin. Plus, how will they get there - the roads are flooded? Airports closed.
edit on 8/27/2017 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I read in a post here that they will use the Dallas convention center as a mega shelter
edit on 27-8-2017 by research100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Dapaga

Are they doing releases from the reservoirs during the day or tonight? Talk about insult to injury. I have friends in Fulshear, I guess they're screwed.

edit on 8/27/2017 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I'm guessing for the majority of those who lost everything don't have anywhere else to go/people to turn to it will be like "tent city" during Hurricane Andrew. I just hope the tents aren't involved and that they have a better quality of life. To it even being similar with Katrina and the FEMA trailers that people were only allocated a certain amount of time in, which may or may not be possible to set up immediately after all the damage anyway.

People with money-reports say most(63%-se e here- Americans don't even have 500 bucks saved for an emergency, yeah, will probably be moving other places. Movement outside of immediate areas, can think of the following as an example: A hot spot for ex Austin citizens is Seattle. Guess Western Washington will grow even more now, already currently one of the fastest growing cities.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

HOUSTON - Voluntary evacuations have been issued for people living near the Addicks and Barker reservoirs as officials said they plan to release water from them Monday morning. Col. Lars Zetterstrom of the Army Corps of Engineers said water will likely be released from the Addicks Reservoir beginning at 2 a.m. Monday and from the Barker Reservoir around 24 hours later. The release will cause a rise of 4 to 6 inches per hour in the Buffalo Bayou and will cause more water to flow both upstream and downstream.

Source

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

They're going to do Addicks tonight and Barker tomorrow night. In the grand scheme, the amount they're releasing is fractional compared to what is falling and will continue to fall.

If they don't do controlled releases, the dams could become stressed beyond tolerances and then they'd lose all ability to control the amount being released. As it is, they won't even be able to keep up with inflow values, so the pools will rise no matter what, but they won't rise as much.

If the downstream watershed can get a break (some of it has been for a couple of hours now), then they won't be adding anything as much more to what is already downstream from the reservoirs.
edit on 27-8-2017 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: Dapaga

Are they doing releases from the reservoirs during the day or tonight? Talk about insult to injury. I have friends in Fulshear, I guess they're screwed.

Fulshear is not in the path of the releases. The reservoirs are much farther in than Fulshear. I'm about 8 miles from Fulshear.

They are releasing tonight I believe. They just can't hold any more water and it is pouring.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Thanks ya'll. I hope it works as expected.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Recent update:

The situation on the ground in Houston is gaining uncomfortable resonance with 2005’s catastrophic Hurricane Katrina. Instead of compromised levees, we have an extraordinary prolonged and intense rain event atop one of the nation’s largest and most flood-vulnerable cities. As with Katrina, there have been numerous reports of people trapped in attics, and countless roads across the city are impassable. Given the unrelenting rains and flooding, there is real concern that some people will be unable to leave their homes or places of refuge for multiple days—a potentially life-threatening situation for those with special medical needs or without enough food and water. It is too soon to tell exactly how many people are in such dire need, but the number of 911 calls and other cries for help suggest the number is far too large for comfort.

and

Our top models have become a bit more consistent on Harvey’s short-term future. The storm’s center is now expected to move slightly offshore by Monday, still as a tropical storm, then return onshore by Wednesday on a northward track expected to be near or perhaps just west of Houston.........

None of this motion will be rapid, and Harvey’s location by Wednesday may be less than 100 miles from its current position. Harvey could pick up slightly in intensity while offshore, but nearly half of its circulation has remained over water thus far, so a modest offshore motion will probably only lead to a slight boost in winds, if that. Harvey should pick up speed as it heads north on Wednesday, and conditions are likely to begin improving at last over southeast Texas.

www.wunderground.com...

LInk includes graphs and maps.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Oh jeeze. Google a Houston Google traffic map.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
Oh jeeze. Google a Houston Google traffic map.

Here is the link to Houston Transtar - our traffic camera system sorry link won't work - will have to google.

edit on 8/27/2017 by TXTriker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   

holy # :O Like 50 road closures. And the videos on that wunderground link are wild. Especially the timelapse gif
edit on 27-8-2017 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Try this link: KHOU traffic alerts.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Closures

This is going to take a while to recede.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz5
omg check out the picture at this link; (story is about a flooded nursing home)

www.galvnews.com...

I am so happy to hear these poor residents were rescued. Apparently, they were told not to evacuate because the nursing home has never flooded in the past.

Does anyone know if the cat in that photo was rescued, as well?

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Looking more grim for Louisiana.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Any word on if this is going to flood New Orleans?

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
It looks the center of Harvey is moving back in the gulf. While it will likely not strengthen much it will keep producing rain.

The NHC even wrote, isolated areas of 50" are possible. A few days ago I thought 40" predictions were maybe hype.

I also saw that the police are asking for volunteers with boats to assist with rescues.

Stay safe Texas and Louisiana.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join