It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge Rules An Alabama Town Can Return To Segregation.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Despite Racial Motive, Judge Allows Alabama City To Secede From School District

Near Birmingham, Ala., a mostly white town called Gardendale wants to break off from its more diverse school district. This week, a federal judge found that the move was racially motivated. She also said it would send messages of racial inferiority and exclusion that, quote, "assail the dignity of black schoolchildren." Nevertheless, the judge allowed the split to go forward. Earlier today, I spoke with Emma Brown, an education reporter for The Washington Post who's covering the story. She told us a little bit more about Gardendale and the story behind this week's ruling.
www.npr.org...

O....K??? .

So this is where we are at, recently there have been an upswing in threads, telling the world how blacks are the ones who want to separate themselves and want to have their own thing, I tried in vain to explain how and why this came about, but a lot of folks just simply put their blinders on or drowned out whatever I tried to say, so they can shift culpability to black folks, not looking at efforts to undermine gains made by AAs going back 50 or 60 yrs back.

Honestly I want to say screw em keep your school district lily white , these kinda folks are gonna do what they gonna do, and it's never gonna be to the benefit of AAs, I warned that restrictive voter laws were there to harm rather than help them, but again a lot of shot downs by members here, so here we are 2017 and this is still a thing...what's next water fountains or back of the bus??.

+21 more 
posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Blame Black lives matters and there ilk.....

They have taken the slow progres of racial integration and destroyed it.

Blacks seem to be the ones demanding segregation.
edit on 5-5-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Sweet Home Alabama...

+4 more 
posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

No they have nothing to with this trend as this started before an org called Black Lives Matter existed and there you go shifting culpability to black folks, right on cue..lol
edit on 5-5-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Yeah I've heard they've been busy in Alabama...

/sarc

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Not even BLM now...

Blacks in general...

Jesus what a fool.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
...and this stands absolutely no chance of standing. None.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

i dont know

www.npr.org...

It is a county that has been under court-ordered desegregation for decades. And over those decades, a series of majority white cities have broken off, which is allowed under Alabama law

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Shifting culpability. like I said.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Whether I agree or disagree, it appears to be a state issue:

Under Alabama law, cities of more than 5,000 residents can form independent school systems, and Gardendale had argued that the federal court should have no say over its separation. "Things have changed" since the Supreme Court's landmark decisions on school segregation, Gardendale argued in a brief, and federal courts must "open their eyes to the condition of the present."

Alabama Segregation

edit on 4754731b03 by SammyB0476 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

As a white American of Irish and Lithuanian descent, I am mortified by this story. I don't know how one could possibly defend this without first admitting that you are racist.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Never say never Seagull, it may have a slimmer chance of standing in other districts, but in others maybe that's the way it's going to be from here on out.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Hmm...

I'm kind of surprised that the Feds haven't stepped in, in some fashion. Like withholding fed funds, etc...

I wonder why?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Apparently that may be the case here. There's an underlying factor here, or so it seems to me, that we're unaware of. Especially considering who was in office for the last 8 years... I find this...odd.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

a reply to: TinySickTears

Hmm...

I'm kind of surprised that the Feds haven't stepped in, in some fashion. Like withholding fed funds, etc...

I wonder why?

i dont know...

from the article

The city of Gardendale has said that they are seeking local control, that they believe a smaller school system will be a better school system for their children. And they want to be able to control the tax dollars, frankly, that they're spending on their schools. They want to have tighter control over that money.

i dont understand how segregation will help with tax dollars..

cant a smaller school system still be integrated?

yeah this sucks

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Beat me to it. These universities want to segregate, (people there) big universities. This is a small town.
edit on 5-5-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on May, 5 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

"screw em keep your school district lily white , these kinda folks are gonna do what they gonna do"
That's not racist at all, is it? I'm guessing you have a different skin pigmentation than I have. Is your comment helping? Are you joining in a movement of all inclusive or do comments like that further drive a wedge?
As a Lilly white, I was part of an amazing program where I was bussed to the hood in the 70's. I had a knife pulled on me the first day, then had my birthday present (a watch) ripped off my arm in the bathroom as a second grader. Then we moved to the suburbs.
I personally work in that same area I had all the trouble as a firefighter now, so I have personally seen integration fail, but yet returned to make a difference.
But go ahead and call me a Lilly white, gripe and moan, I'll still be here to help. Just not my kids getting held up.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

Yes I said keep them, a lot of white folks have been fighting it before it took off, and look you are not unique to the horrors of busing, a lot of black kids got spat on beaten up etc, when they got moved into an all white school district..and no this is not down south but in NYC. of all places, yes by the time I graduated things had changed for the better the older meaner kids graduated but it took a series of school hall meetings to get it right

Am I moaning though?? not really, I just don't want to be bothered with institutions willing to make me an mine an outcast or seems like beggars..screw that.
edit on 5-5-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Excuse my ignorance here, Spider, but I cannot understand how this is racially motivated. Any ideas?

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

according to the article, they aren't segregating. They are a mostly white town (btw, that means that they AREN'T all white) and the judge believes that the move is racially motivated.

They aren't saying that non-whites can't go to the school, merely that they have enough people and want their own district.

Jaden

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join