It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoppers turn Walmart self-checkout into personal slot machine

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Meh, I'm not calling for the firing squad..lol, just thought he crossed the line a bit when he got others to do it, when it happened in his case, it was unexpected..when he got others in on it he was borderline scamming??.. to some degree..imho.
It's a weird situation, not the end of the world or a high crime.
I really do despise Walmart, but it's a principal thing..replace Walmart with a stuggling mom and pop operation.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

The police have literally no call to be involved in this issue. An employee made the error. The shoppers took advantage, but they didn't cause the error. Do we arrest people to whom a live cashier hands too much change, as well? If people know a cashier is inept, and gives out too much, are the customers to be jailed, now?

What they did might not be morally correct, but I don't see how it's a matter for the police. If Walmart wasn't too cheat to pay an actual cashier, this wouldn't be a problem. If they even bothered to have someone there to monitor the self-checkout lines, this could also have been detected. Their cheap decision, their loss.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
Yeah I know it is. I really didn't find it worth it. The lady that pocketed it was a shift manager herself. I honestly don't feel bad about taking the money from the store. It was a Save-on-Foods, which is owned by Jim Pattison. I feel not the slightest bit of remorse stealing from him. On the other hand, I know whatever I spent the money on probably would have ended up backfiring on me, as I've found such things do, and I've worked at a grocery store and realize the employee who made the mistake would have been blamed for being $200 short and may have even lost their job. In the end I ended up with free groceries so can't complain. But, it is hard not to get that 'why bother?' feeling.

Know how you feel, in that case! I experienced some dishonest employees myself, but they were at a bank at which I was working! I was working as a teller, and had been moved to handling this machine inside, that was loaded with a LOT more money than a typical teller drawer holds, for larger transactions. It was my job to load the machine up each morning, with stacks of cash from the vault. Well, for various reasons, one of the head tellers didn't like me. She's already tried, previously, to rip off a change order of mine, by $10,000. The rule was to give it directly to the teller, have it counted, and get the paper signed. A head teller was NOT allowed to simply set it down, and walk away, but hat's what she tried. She deliberately held out the ten grand, instead of waiting till I was not with a customer, as the regs demanded. Then, when I told her it was short, she tried claiming that was my fault. When I called her on it, saying she'd better produce y signature on the change order, she backed off, and handed over the rest of the money. Had I not stood firm, she'd have pocketed it, and blamed me; I have no doubt.

Well, since that didn't work, she decided to try another method. She'd delay getting me the cash from the vault till later and later each morning, to the point that the machine was still open when the bank opened, which it wasn't supposed to be. When I complained, she demanded that I stop counting the cash in the bundles that were to be loaded! According to regulations, ALL stacks had to be counted, save fives and ones. She demanded that I don't count any, which would allow her to steal a couple of bills from each, and leave me short, and responsible. I flat out refused.

The real kicker? We took the issue to the bank manager, and she demanded I ignore the rules as well!! Wasn't happening; I said either I was allowed to follow the regs, or they could get someone else to handle the machine, because I would NOT be responsible otherwise. I didn't stick around long after that.

It's beyond sick that some want to blame these customers, and call them criminals. If the store had given too little change, over and over, would the police arrest the store management or employees?? If a bank ATM gave too little, would the bank be charged with theft? No. But we are supposed to call the person who benefits a thief? Double standard!!

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89

originally posted by: FlyingFox

The first time the $20 came out didn't break the law, the subsequent times did...

Nope, still not illegal. Unethical maybe, but not illegal.

Really? Then why are the police involved?
Because the loss prevention personnel called them and they must investigate.

Here's the thing, you have no clue about the legal basis behind this case, but just want to argue with someone.

I understand that, and don't see the merit in trying to explain the concepts behind it. Even if I did, you either wouldn't get it, or just want to argue more. Maybe there's a word for that, but I don't really care.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

The first time the $20 came out didn't break the law, the subsequent times did...

Because the loss prevention personnel called them and they must investigate.

Here's the thing, you have no clue about the legal basis behind this case, but just want to argue with someone.

I understand that, and don't see the merit in trying to explain the concepts behind it. Even if I did, you either wouldn't get it, or just want to argue more. Maybe there's a word for that, but I don't really care.

Here's the thing . . . either don't ask me a question, or expect me to answer. It is one or the other. I am speaking from the point of view of a former LEO from the standpoint of the facts presented here in this thread. Have a lovely day.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
F*** Wallmart! I would of told the whole store. Yes its stealing and I say good....ITS WALLMART!

They did not break the law either. The store made the mistake and Wallmart has to eat it!

I say GREAT!

Low Morals!? Aint that the pot calling the kettle black!

Wallmart = Low Morals.
This company has a F****** food drive for their employees! How low can a company get.

LMFAO!!

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

originally posted by: Nothin

originally posted by: MisterSpock
I hate walmart as much as anyone, and I rarely(once a year) go there.

However, it's still wrong and the right thing to do would be to inform someone and get my proper amount due.

I realize that's is a rare opinion, and that most can't fathom having that level of principal. Even when it's in favor of something/one so undeserving of that "respect".

At the end of the day though, it's about me, knowing I'M IN THE RIGHT and that I've done the right thing. Knowing that I can't be labeled a hypocrite or ever be knocked down due to saying one thing and doing another.

^This^

It is theft, very simple. The money does not belong to you. There are no gray areas here.

If I see money laying on the sidewalk with no one around, I will leave it there. Why? Because it does not belong to me.

Simple.

For those who don't understand this simple lesson, karma will be there to show you the way.

In a very long time, we hope, when our friend CS comes to pass, and is standing before his Maker:
Greetings CS. You have lived a wonderful life of Love and honour. Welcome, and bless you.
Thank-you my Grace.
So CS: are you happy with the way your life went?
Oh yes my Grace! Everything was great! Just...
What?
Well: you know. Times were always tight, and life would have been easier with a little more money.
The Maker's jaw drops to the floor: What? Are you kidding? I left $20 for you on the sidewalk, and you refused to take my gift. Since then I've always just assumed that you were not into money, and wanted to live a pious life.
-

Bazingga!

( Sorry CS: just some friendly ribbing. )

I completely understand and good poke

But there is one problem with the narrative, I wouldn't be complaining about the lack of money. I would be praising the fact that I did not possess great material wealth during this trip. I would be grateful that I wasn't born into luxury or notoriety. I have been in the same job position for over 12 years now and I have no desire to move up or join management. I refuse to sell my soul for the almighty paycheck. Reality is just fine the way it is.

I also believe in karma. Your current reality is karma. When karma presents me with a test of easy money that is not mine, I laugh and just keep on walking.

So if I came before some eternal deity and that deity actually cared about what I think, I would thank them profusely for the wonderful trip and beg for another turn on the wheel of life.

Good answer.
Would love to have you as a neighbor or co-worker. (Not that you would want me...LoL)

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I really don't understand the hatred for Wal-Mart? They provide a great service, one-stop shopping with the lowest prices anywhere. It's great for American consumers. Plus they employ a lot of people, mostly low-skilled and disabled people, while also providing them benefits. They never put anyone out of business, they just provided a better product, and consumers recognized it. Wal-Mart is one of the great American success stories.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

Here is a question for all whom are afflicted with a deeply-ingrained sense of integrity, and accountability:
Where does that sense come from?

Simple observations. There are rules to this reality that become apparent if you but watch.

Maybe observe co-workers or relatives. Watch their actions. Watch how they treat others. Listen to the words they speak. Do they help others or are they selfish? Do they treat others with kindness and respect? Do they speak falsely?

Now judge. Judge the individual. Are they happy? Are they content? Are they physically healthy? Do they see clearly?

karma = reality

Don't really agree.

In simple observation: you are already one step deeper than the average person. But there are deeper levels.
Without judging (ego): one can still observe if there is a correlation between a persons behavior, and their health/happiness.
From this experience: it has always been a mixed-bag. Some really good people die young, some bastards like the Rockerfellers live well into their 90's. Many humble honest people repeatedly get the shaft, while sociopaths get the breaks.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   

So that Wallly could use the police-report, when they include this loss in their monthly insurance-claims?

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   

This is why tattooed mans should be banned. There always stealing.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy
I really don't understand the hatred for Wal-Mart? They provide a great service, one-stop shopping with the lowest prices anywhere. It's great for American consumers. Plus they employ a lot of people, mostly low-skilled and disabled people, while also providing them benefits. They never put anyone out of business, they just provided a better product, and consumers recognized it. Wal-Mart is one of the great American success stories.

Well Mr. Walton: it seems you may have been misinformed by your lackeys.

"Altogether, some 5,000 lawsuits are filed against Wal-Mart each year, or roughly 17 suits per working day."

"Wal-Mart’s anti-union stance made headlines once again this year. After workers at a Wal-Mart store in Québec successfully unionized, Wal-Mart announced that it would close that store, citing “economic reasons.” Last September, Québec’s labor relations board rejected Wal-Mart’s argument and found that Wal-Mart’s firings were illegal."

"Last September, the International Labor Rights Fund filed a class-action lawsuit against Wal-Mart for violating workers’ rights in foreign countries, alleging that Wal-Mart denied minimum wage, required overtime, and punished union activity. In some cases, workers alleged they were beaten by supervisors. If certified, 100,000 to 500,000 workers could be included. Specifically, the suit alleged that one Bangladesh worker worked seven days a week from 7:45 a.m to 10:00 p.m. without a day off in six months."

"In another instance, Wal-Mart was accused of failing to provide adequate safety equipment (gloves) for its fabric cutters and seamstresses overseas. According to one report, in Wal-Mart’s cost-benefit analysis, it was cheaper to wash workers’ blood from clothing before shipping the clothing overseas for sale than it was to provide gloves."

"Under the agreement, Wal-Mart was fined $135,540 for child labor violations occurring between 1998 and 2002."

"In California, some 116,000 Wal-Mart employees joined in a class-action lawsuit against the retailer, claiming that Wal-Mart violated a California law requiring employers to provide an unpaid 30-minute lunch break to employees who work at least six hours. In December, three days before Christmas, California Wal-Mart employees prevailed on their claims in front of a jury, collecting $57 million in compensatory damages and $115 million in punitive damages. The California verdict came on the heels of a $50 million settlement in Colorado and a separate victory in Oregon. By June, however, lawyers of Wal-Mart employees were back in court, asking for an injunction to compel Wal-Mart to follow the same state lunch-break laws. A California judge has since ordered the retailer to obey these laws and provide compliance reports for the next 3 years."

The Good, the Bad, and the Wal-Mart

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

So naturally he invited family and friends (including minors) to use this money tree. The self check out cranked out $20 for this group of wrong doers and now the police are looking for the criminals.

Now police want to find the adults and children seen taking cash from the self-checkout.

Criminals? Your falling into their trap.

They use the word crime to describe less and less serious activites and the unsuspecting public takes up the media's term which normalises the description of the activity as a crime.

Now all TPTB need to do is to change the classification of the offence from misdemanour to crime, a mere book entry.

See how easy it is to train the public up to think they way TPTB want the public to think?

Nice one.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

I admit I don't know what Wal-Mart does in foreign countries, I was basing my claim on the US Wal-Marts, which is really all I care about. As for California, they whine and complain over anything. A burger boy making $12 dollars an hour is a scandal to those folks. They don't want to work for anything and want everything handed to them, so the fact they sued is just another star in the night sky.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixDescending

No, really didn't think that was an option-not saying I didn't want it- but, no-I was concerned because my mother had told me when she was younger-she was a VP at a bank-how horrible it was if you could not close out evenly at the end of the day and how serious missing money would be. Plus, I was raised with high morals and a conscience-this was around 2009 when there were no jobs and I worried for this lady. I spoke with the manager just to make sure she wouldn't lose her job. It was all very emotional. The guilt would have killed me.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
How is anyone concerned for walmart?

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Look on the positive side. At least the cash will be spent and put straight back into the economy instead of squirreled away in shareholders/CEO bank accounts gathering dust for all eternity.

It might even be spent in Walmart - who knows?

In every black cloud there's a silver lining.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio

I use both BI-LO or a Wal-Mart neighborhood store for groceries

both of those stores have a flesh-&-blood cashier to transact money sales

I never heard of a self-checkout lane which worked in cash instead of debit/credit cards in digital money transfer

I have a notion this is a pop-culture Myth being perpetrated on youse readers at ATS & the public-at-large

i'm still churning my brain on how one can create a money process where a $5 bill is needed to be given to the party buying an item

the total has to be paid by a $10 or $20 bill to begin with...
then the change would include a $5 bill.... (maybe !)

can AnyOne come up with a workable hypothetical ...for the sly customer to get a $20 instead of a $5 in the change ?

? Pay a $10 bill for a $3 gallon of milk = get that cross-loaded $20 in place of the $5... plus the odd cents & singles to total the $3.80 cost paid with a $10 bill == ( the change would be $6.20 in actual money but the Largesse would be $26.20 in pay-out )

I CALL THIS HOAX OR B.S. OR URBAN MYTH

British, Norwegian and French supermarkets now have self-checkout lanes. You basically work as the checkout clerk and run every item through the scanner, then place the items on a weighing machine so the total weight can be correlated with the cost of the items. Then you pay by credit, debit card, or with cash through the slot. Some places print out a barcode to lift up a barrier to prevent anyone running out of the store.

This will be replaced in the future with RFID tags so you just have to roll the basket through a large scanner.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

According to investigators, the group spent more than 20 minutes bilking Walmart out of their $20 bills from the machine, ringing up one small item each in order to receive change that should have included a $5 bill.

Now police want to find the adults and children seen taking cash from the self-checkout.

Here you have it folks authorities want to hammer the little guy for taking chump change, and exploiting a screw-up on Walmart part, but then you have Bankers/ Wall Street scamming billions without any repercussions.

smh

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   
When I was a little guy I bought a squirt gun from a souvenir type Mom & Pop shop my family and I were staying near on vacation. The price on the squirt gun was marked incorrectly, and I told the cashier. I would have felt like it was stealing, Mom & Pop shop or WalMart.

It doesn't matter if it's a company you hate, or a little old couple scraping by, you know right and wrong. Stealing is stealing, and taking advantage of a mistake is still stealing. It doesn't matter if a machine screwed up, or a person screwed up, you're taking money that isn't rightfully yours. If a blind person gave you the wrong change would it be OK since they messed up? I dislike WalMart, I go out of my way not to shop there, but I'm embarrassed people are claiming this is somehow acceptable behavior.

Morality aside, I doubt it's legal to knowingly do something like this.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join