It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoppers turn Walmart self-checkout into personal slot machine

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I shop at Wal-Mart, I have no problem with them. They provide jobs to low skilled and disabled people, nobody is forced to work there, it isn't some kind of sweat-shop. I never use the self-serve checkouts though, I want to keep cashiers employed, for a lot of them they can't get jobs doing much else.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
The first time the $20 came out didn't break the law, the subsequent times did...

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   
here [ the UK ] we has a fool proof mechanism to prevent this happening :

our bank notes [ £ 5 , 10 , 20 & 50 ] increase in physical size as the value increases

simples

ATMs and automated checkouts have " cassettes " designed to hold 100 bank notes - each is the correct size for its intended bank note [ £20 notes cannot be fit into a £ 5 cassette ] - and its impossible to put the " wrong cassette " in the machine - they have a tab to prevent this .

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Never look a gift horse in the mouth even if it looks like Andrew Jackson

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Not too long ago I was at Kroger and had about $10 worth of stuff. I scanned my items on the self checkout and then I noticed a $20 bill hanging from the machine where it gives change. No one was around and the guy who works the registers was talking with another employee. I had the notion to take the $20 pay for my stuff and walk out with $10, but then my conscience kicked in, the girl in front of me had been a bit younger than me and being in a college town I assume she was in college, and most likely needed the money more than me. I ended up telling the guy who works the self checkouts, who looked at me like I was moron when I said it wasn't mine. I couldn't find the girl when I went outside, but I did the right thing so I didn't feel like a POS when I got home. Stealing is stealing, right is right, and wrong is wrong. It's that simple.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

originally posted by: MisterSpock
I hate walmart as much as anyone, and I rarely(once a year) go there.

However, it's still wrong and the right thing to do would be to inform someone and get my proper amount due.

I realize that's is a rare opinion, and that most can't fathom having that level of principal. Even when it's in favor of something/one so undeserving of that "respect".

At the end of the day though, it's about me, knowing I'M IN THE RIGHT and that I've done the right thing. Knowing that I can't be labeled a hypocrite or ever be knocked down due to saying one thing and doing another.

^This^

It is theft, very simple. The money does not belong to you. There are no gray areas here.

If I see money laying on the sidewalk with no one around, I will leave it there. Why? Because it does not belong to me.

Simple.

For those who don't understand this simple lesson, karma will be there to show you the way.

In a very long time, we hope, when our friend CS comes to pass, and is standing before his Maker:
Greetings CS. You have lived a wonderful life of Love and honour. Welcome, and bless you.
Thank-you my Grace.
So CS: are you happy with the way your life went?
Oh yes my Grace! Everything was great! Just...
What?
Well: you know. Times were always tight, and life would have been easier with a little more money.
The Maker's jaw drops to the floor: What? Are you kidding? I left $20 for you on the sidewalk, and you refused to take my gift. Since then I've always just assumed that you were not into money, and wanted to live a pious life.
-

Bazingga!

( Sorry CS: just some friendly ribbing. )

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Wally's World, the Circus Super Outlet, a multi million dollar corp. they should man up to their own mistakes.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Something similar to this happened at a local gas station several years ago. There was an extremely generous pump that allowed you to fill the tank for less than $5.00. I phoned my brother, and dad with "Get over here to the Marathon station ASAP. Pump #4 has gone haywire. You can fill up for less than $5.00!!". I kept the nozzle in the tank and slooowly checked my oil and cleaned my windshield, until my dad arrived a few minutes later. My brother pulled in right behind him.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   

However, it's still wrong and the right thing to do would be to inform someone and get my proper amount due.

I realize that's is a rare opinion, and that most can't fathom having that level of principal. Even when it's in favor of something/one so undeserving of that "respect".

At the end of the day though, it's about me, knowing I'M IN THE RIGHT and that I've done the right thing. Knowing that I can't be labeled a hypocrite or ever be knocked down due to saying one thing and doing another.

Well Mr. Spock: this post of yours sure garnered a lot of responses.
Commendations to you for remaining very polite and civil in your reactions to those posts.

Here is a question for all whom are afflicted with a deeply-ingrained sense of integrity, and accountability:
Where does that sense come from?

Have you gone deep within, to investigate the source of these self-imposed rules?
No. Really deep. You know, when you turn-off all of the noise, and tune-out from the drudgery of daily life.
When you finish thinking about your partner, your job, your truck, and move on to deeper contemplation.
When you spend months like this, looking at your deep-seeded beliefs, and try your best to dissect and view them as objectively as possible.

Then: what is the source, and meaning of this deep belief in: "Right is right, and wrong is wrong"?
Whom does this benefit? Ego? Institutions and corporations?
What part of you benefits from thinking that others can't fathom your level of principal?
So you're "In the right", you say. What "right" is that? Where is that "right" in Nature?
Who or what, has indoctrinated their version of a moral-compass, deep within you?

Are we all just being obedient slaves?
Why hold oneself to some supposed higher-standard, of questionable origin, especially when it is against self-preservation?

What is so important about avoiding a label imposed by others, such as: "hypocrite"?
Some folks will call you every bloody name in the book, just because they don't get what they want.

Are we all just being obedient slaves?

Being kind and generous with others just feels good, in the moment.
Why do we need to attribute this to a belief-system?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I wouldn't do what they did nor advocate it. However, Walmart and morals, overall, don't come hand in hand, why is anyone surprised? There's few positives to this chain store, gasp, after they put lots of people out of work in the first place, one is allowing the homeless a place to stay in their vehicles and to use the bathrooms. If someone in their shoes was desperate, would you hold it against them(not saying the ones in the Op were such, but who knows?).

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

^This^

It is theft, very simple. The money does not belong to you. There are no gray areas here.

If I see money laying on the sidewalk with no one around, I will leave it there. Why? Because it does not belong to me.

Simple.

For those who don't understand this simple lesson, karma will be there to show you the way.

In a very long time, we hope, when our friend CS comes to pass, and is standing before his Maker:
Greetings CS. You have lived a wonderful life of Love and honour. Welcome, and bless you.
Thank-you my Grace.
So CS: are you happy with the way your life went?
Oh yes my Grace! Everything was great! Just...
What?
Well: you know. Times were always tight, and life would have been easier with a little more money.
The Maker's jaw drops to the floor: What? Are you kidding? I left $20 for you on the sidewalk, and you refused to take my gift. Since then I've always just assumed that you were not into money, and wanted to live a pious life.
-

Bazingga!

( Sorry CS: just some friendly ribbing. )

I completely understand and good poke

But there is one problem with the narrative, I wouldn't be complaining about the lack of money. I would be praising the fact that I did not possess great material wealth during this trip. I would be grateful that I wasn't born into luxury or notoriety. I have been in the same job position for over 12 years now and I have no desire to move up or join management. I refuse to sell my soul for the almighty paycheck. Reality is just fine the way it is.

I also believe in karma. Your current reality is karma. When karma presents me with a test of easy money that is not mine, I laugh and just keep on walking.

So if I came before some eternal deity and that deity actually cared about what I think, I would thank them profusely for the wonderful trip and beg for another turn on the wheel of life.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
The first time the $20 came out didn't break the law, the subsequent times did...

Nope, still not illegal. Unethical maybe, but not illegal.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Here is a question for all whom are afflicted with a deeply-ingrained sense of integrity, and accountability:

Simple observations. There are rules to this reality that become apparent if you but watch.

Maybe observe co-workers or relatives. Watch their actions. Watch how they treat others. Listen to the words they speak. Do they help others or are they selfish? Do they treat others with kindness and respect? Do they speak falsely?

Now judge. Judge the individual. Are they happy? Are they content? Are they physically healthy? Do they see clearly?

karma = reality

edit on 29-4-2017 by ClovenSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: intrptr

I know that most atm machines have cartridges of bills loaded into them. The machine knows that a cartridge is supposed to be $20's but if a human put $100's in the cartridge the machine doesn't know the difference.

Whats to prevent the 'intentional error' on the part of said human, think they thought of this, already?

Well in banking the person loading the machines has to account for the money they move from the vault to the atm machine. Everything is supposed to balance.

Thats at the bank.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Jefferton

Is stealing form a dishonest person (corp) morally bad?

Of course it is. Where do you draw the line otherwise? Some actions are just bad, period, and two wrongs don't make a right.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89

originally posted by: FlyingFox

Nope, still not illegal. Unethical maybe, but not illegal

Find that hard to believe... can you clarify?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Simple observations. There are rules to this reality that become apparent if you but watch.

Maybe observe co-workers or relatives. Watch their actions. Watch how they treat others. Listen to the words they speak. Do they help others or are they selfish? Do they treat others with kindness and respect? Do they speak falsely?

Now judge. Judge the individual. Are they happy? Are they content? Are they physically healthy? Do they see clearly?

karma = reality

Awesome post

Edit: one may appear healthy, happy, content - this has got me thinking about people affected by personality disorders. Often your instincts will warn you, make sure you listen
edit on 29-4-2017 by PhoenixDescending because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Something similar to this happened at a local gas station several years ago. There was an extremely generous pump that allowed you to fill the tank for less than $5.00. I phoned my brother, and dad with "Get over here to the Marathon station ASAP. Pump #4 has gone haywire. You can fill up for less than $5.00!!". I kept the nozzle in the tank and slooowly checked my oil and cleaned my windshield, until my dad arrived a few minutes later. My brother pulled in right behind him.

A sad story. One you seem quite proud of. They say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

You did wrong and I believe you felt it, at the time. The way you say you slowly checked the oil and cleaned the windshield. The way you roped other people in to share in your guilt.

It's not worth it. Your soul, your karma, whatever you want to call it or whatever it is - it takes a hit. And it can only take so many hits. Humanity as a whole, takes a hit from these actions. This is the butterfly effect.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

I did the right thing in a similar situation and returned the money. I was using a self checkout and had a $2 discount that the employee had to type in manually. He accidently entered 200 instead of $2.00. So not only were my groceries free but I got about $50 in change back. I was worried about the employee getting # for it. He was in training. So I explained what happened and returned the money at customer service. She didn't even bother looking at the receipt just thanked me for my honesty and said I could go.
I then watched the employee put the money in her pocket instead of the till. That's what being honest to a big grocery store gets you.

Probably needed to return the money to the till that it came from, balance that till, pocketed it to sort it out later? Is that a possibility?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: 4003fireglo

I can't fathom this level of haughtiness. Even the real Mister Spock showed a bit of humility now and then.

Would suggest that you did not really get it.

Most don't.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join