It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoppers turn Walmart self-checkout into personal slot machine

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: dug88

originally posted by: MisterSpock
I hate walmart as much as anyone, and I rarely(once a year) go there.

However, it's still wrong and the right thing to do would be to inform someone and get my proper amount due.

I realize that's is a rare opinion, and that most can't fathom having that level of principal. Even when it's in favor of something/one so undeserving of that "respect".

At the end of the day though, it's about me, knowing I'M IN THE RIGHT and that I've done the right thing. Knowing that I can't be labeled a hypocrite or ever be knocked down due to saying one thing and doing another.

I did the right thing in a similar situation and returned the money. I was using a self checkout and had a $2 discount that the employee had to type in manually. He accidently entered 200 instead of $2.00. So not only were my groceries free but I got about $50 in change back. I was worried about the employee getting # for it. He was in training. So I explained what happened and returned the money at customer service. She didn't even bother looking at the receipt just thanked me for my honesty and said I could go.
I then watched the employee put the money in her pocket instead of the till. That's what being honest to a big grocery store gets you.

Well, you did the right thing. That's worth something. Just because someone else chose not too doesn't invalidate your actions. Though in the case you mentioned it may seem that way.

I would have talked to the store manager after that, that would have really wound me up to see that. Plenty of cameras in the store, they would have been able to review the entire incident(original checkout, returning and pocketing of funds).

Yeah I know it is. I really didn't find it worth it. The lady that pocketed it was a shift manager herself. I honestly don't feel bad about taking the money from the store. It was a Save-on-Foods, which is owned by Jim Pattison. I feel not the slightest bit of remorse stealing from him. On the other hand, I know whatever I spent the money on probably would have ended up backfiring on me, as I've found such things do, and I've worked at a grocery store and realize the employee who made the mistake would have been blamed for being $200 short and may have even lost their job. In the end I ended up with free groceries so can't complain. But, it is hard not to get that 'why bother?' feeling.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I use both BI-LO or a Wal-Mart neighborhood store for groceries

both of those stores have a flesh-&-blood cashier to transact money sales

I never heard of a self-checkout lane which worked in cash instead of debit/credit cards in digital money transfer

I have a notion this is a pop-culture Myth being perpetrated on youse readers at ATS & the public-at-large

i'm still churning my brain on how one can create a money process where a $5 bill is needed to be given to the party buying an item

the total has to be paid by a $10 or $20 bill to begin with...
then the change would include a $5 bill.... (maybe !)

can AnyOne come up with a workable hypothetical ...for the sly customer to get a $20 instead of a $5 in the change ?

? Pay a $10 bill for a $3 gallon of milk = get that cross-loaded $20 in place of the $5... plus the odd cents & singles to total the $3.80 cost paid with a $10 bill == ( the change would be $6.20 in actual money but the Largesse would be $26.20 in pay-out )

I CALL THIS HOAX OR B.S. OR URBAN MYTH
edit on th30149341930328412017 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

Ours do at our local grocery store. You can pay in cash and you can receive change in cash.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

well at zip 29577.... those cash pay outs are not in service...

the pay out machine must not be equipped with a bill readers/scanner for the payouts or 'IT' would have stopped service for repairs

live & learn, huh
thanks for the heads up

edit on th30149341967328472017 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio

I use both BI-LO or a Wal-Mart neighborhood store for groceries

both of those stores have a flesh-&-blood cashier to transact money sales

I never heard of a self-checkout lane which worked in cash instead of debit/credit cards in digital money transfer

I have a notion this is a pop-culture Myth being perpetrated on youse readers at ATS & the public-at-large

They do have them. I used one at a wal-mart in New Bedford in Jan. My bud showed me how to use it.

I didn't get the wrong change, tho.

A Stop&Shop I went to couple weeks ago, needed a card for self check out, which I thought was racist.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Replace human workers with machines and this is the risk you take.

A human loaded it!

Keep in mind, any robot used to do any type of task requires a human to program it, human to install it and a human to maintain it!

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: Aazadan

If you rent a car that breaks down due to lack of maintenance, it's your fault?

What's wrong with holding yourself to a higher standard? It's the opposite of the everything is someone elses fault mentality. Everything is your fault, you are a direct participant in everything that goes on in your life. Hold yourself accountable.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
It was the human who filled the machine with notes of the wrong denomination. Inside each cash machine are one or more metal magazines of cash. They are usually delivered by security guards with body armor. Each of those magazines is the size of briefcase and contains hundreds of each type of denomination. So there's probably a hundred thousand grand in each full magazine. Normally it's like 5, 10, 20, 50 in four racks. Someone puts 20's in the 5's and it's bonanza time.

Lets flip this around: If one machine is loaded improperly, then it means another machine got the stack of $5's somewhere, where it should have been $20's. Meaning several people would have also been shortchanged by this mistake. If people are condoning taking whatever change the machine gives them, then those who were shortchanged shouldn't have the right to complain, right?
edit on 28-4-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

There is a store called Meijer that started in Michigan (the Meijer family is the wealthiest in Michigan). Back in the 1970's it was like GM to work-great pay and benefits oh and they also paid a sh!tty thing called a pension. This family owned empire now pays it's employees the same as walmart, crap wages and profits have never been better.

Seriously the wealthiest in MI? I love Meijer and will not shop Walmart. I thought Meijer employees were union.

Meijer thrifty acres lol...

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
You can bet the person who loaded the machine lost his/her job over that mistake.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07
Richest families in Michigan
Michigan is home to at least 14 billionaire individuals and families, with the family that owns privately held grocery and retail chain Meijer worth $10.7 billion. That makes them the wealthiest family in the state, Forbes magazine said.

The Union is not a teamster union. It allows wages to be stagnant and benefits to be very very poor.

No slam at you. We need to educate ourselves on who we do business with. Saying I didn't know means a 5 minute google search wasn't done.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

It does not mean that another machine has $5 where $20's were supposed to be.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The only person whom Wal-mart can fault here is the employee. And since I doubt he can pay them back, the worst they can do is fire him.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Its funny because, I have not seen a self service machine that does not dispense and accept cash except the ones at McDonalds. Home depot, Publix, Target, Wal-Mart, Lowes I have seen using these all functioned with cash.

NOW, lets maximize our payout

Pick up the cheapest item under $1 right next to the checkout. Lets say, a $0.78 candy/gum . With tax we say $0.85.
Chane should be $9.15 . Instead we get $24.15 wit this error. Do it 20 times or more, we can hit $500 super easy. Now considering this happened at 12:34 am, its doubtful their asset protection was still in the store.
Could just kept running it till the cows came home.
So for every 85 cents investment, our ROI is approximately $15.00, or %1700 !! wow, thats one helluva return!
edit on 4-28-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

It does not mean that another machine has $5 where $20's were supposed to be.

But it could. It depends on how everything was arranged. If the worker mixed up two cartridges, then a mistake in one is going to lead to a mistake in another (though it seems to me like this would be most likely to happen in the same machine). If they were loaded into the truck wrong, then that wouldn't happen.

Basically, it depends on who screwed up.

If you think it's ok for a machine to give you too much change, I assume you're also fine with accepting when the machine gives too little?
edit on 28-4-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

If you think it's ok for a machine to give you too much change, I assume you're also fine with accepting when the machine gives too little?

Oh now obviously you know thats not how it works! Listen, we are just trying to be good capitalists exactly how our government teaches us to be. Get as much ROI as possible, consequences be damned!

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Look at the OP again.

"At 12:34 pm..." should be a tipoff.

That and we here at ATS know there are RFIDs in cash. Just saw a story where cash shipped through the USPO was refused (AK pot money) and they never opened the box. And also that is also why there are mettle detectors in airports!!

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Yes it could mean that, but it doesn't mean that as a rule.
edit on 28-4-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

Oh now obviously you know thats not how it works! Listen, we are just trying to be good capitalists exactly how our government teaches us to be. Get as much ROI as possible, consequences be damned!

That's what many people believe, and they go through life perfectly happy with those beliefs that have been ingrained in them. I'm not saying it's wrong, but I don't agree. I hold myself and others to a higher standard than that. I suppose I'm a bit of a contrarian. I expect honesty from all sides in a transaction.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Yes it could man that, but it doesn't mean that as a rule.

Regardless, someone still got shortchanged. Whether it was the contractor that services the machines, or ordinary customers. Is it right either way?

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join