It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice Department will again use Private Prisons

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

The Justice Department will once again use private prisons to house federal inmates, reversing an Obama-era directive to stop using the facilities, which officials had then deemed less safe and less effective than those run by the government.

In a one-paragraph memo, Attorney General Jeff Sessions rescinded the previous directive to the Bureau of Prisons to either reduce or decline to renew private-prison contracts as they came due.

“The memorandum changed long-standing policy and practice, and impaired the Bureau’s ability to meet the future needs of the federal correctional system,” Sessions wrote. “Therefore, I direct the Bureau to return to its previous approach.”

I think this is something we can all (hopefully) disagree with. Aside from the horrible conditions and "gladiator schools" where guards would fight inmates and bet on the outcome, private prisons also operate on a inmate quota system, that the state contractually has an obligation to fulfill.

But the most interesting part to me, is how much these private prison corporations have already donated to Trump and his organizations.

The private-prison industry is a formidable one, generating billions of dollars of revenue each year and giving significant amounts to politicians. The GEO Group and CoreCivic, for example, donated $250,000 to support Trump’s inaugural festivities, spokesmen for the companies said. Management and Training Corp. did not, a spokesman said. Separately, the GEO Group, gave $275,00 to the pro-Trump super PAC Rebuilding America Now, according to FEC filings.

wapo.st...

Guess that blows a hole in the lie that only Hillary was beholden to the private prison lobby. And with this news today, is there any doubt of their influence on the Trump administration?

Add the new statement from Spicer about the federal crackdown on cannabis in states that voted for it to be legalized, and we have a nice recipe for our leaders to profit from locking citizens in a cage.
edit on 23-2-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2017 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I get an error when I hit the link?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

This and the justice department's stance on recreational MJ are two things I absolutely disagree with this administration on. Both coming from the justice department.

It's too bad because if these two simple issues were reversed, the President may have more support from the left than he currently has...which is virtually none.
edit on 23-2-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This and the sudden hints of getting tough on mary jane.

I would almost think the two are some how related.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

They ARE definitely related.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Anyone have a working link or is this just b.s?

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
And the Trump administration is going to crack down on marijuana use. Gotta fill those prisons up with those dangerous, violent doobie smokers.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Yaaaa. Go profits.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

I get an error when I hit the link?

Fixed it.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Here's another one -

Clicky

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

This and the justice department's stance on recreational MJ are two things I absolutely disagree with this administration on. Both coming from the justice department.

It's too bad because if these two simple issues were reversed, the President may have more support from the left than he currently has...which is virtually none.

I agree. I think Trump is digging his own hole if he allows any of this to go forward.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I generally agree with the privatization of most things.

More efficient, less waste and corruption.

Except in this case.

The for-profit prison system gives an incentive for lobbyists to encourage Representatives to pass even MORE rules, regulations and laws in the hopes that people can be found guilty of SOMETHING.

You're a criminal, whether you know it or not.

edit on 23-2-2017 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Is this a topic we all can actually agree on?

Cool...

Justice is not meant to be served by a government system that is contractually-obligation to fulfill prison quotas, if that is part of the contract they have.

Prison facilities should meet the need, not create the need.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
FEMA camp renovation contracts necessary !!

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Everybody thinks these prisons are filled with some kids that got caught with a little weed, but so many times we here about cops shooting someone with dozens of felony arrests.
The two things contradict each other.

Private or goverment owned? I doubt it will matter either way.

link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

I generally agree with the privatization of most things.

More efficient, less waste and corruption.

Except in this case.

The for-profit prison system gives an incentive for lobbyists to encourage Representatives to pass even MORE rules, regulations and laws in the hopes that people can be found guilty of SOMETHING.

What gets me is the quota system. There has to be a certain number of beds filled to fulfill the contracts made with the state the prison is operating in. If that isn't ripe for abuse, I don't know what is.
www.prisonlegalnews.org...

link   
This kind of stuff is a reliable way to make my shi'ite list.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I say when life gives you lemons then make lemonade, invest invest invest.

" You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before".

Rahm Emanuel.

posted on Feb, 23 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Assuming this, and the Mary Jane issues are true (coming from media who knows), I am definitely against the Trump administration on this. I am for privatization of almost all government activity, prisons are not one of them. We don't need profit seekers when it comes to locking up Americans. I'll wait to see what Trump has to say on this before I make a full judgement, but if real, it is the first big mistake by Trump.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join