It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother taken into custody after decades in U.S.; 7 arrested in Phoenix protest

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Think she may have voted in the last election?

Id theft conviction and all....

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

originally posted by: Grambler
What is why "feelings" arent an argument, because they ignore the victims of these criminals.

So again, I am sorry that this woman and her family must go through this, but she CHOSE to break the law.

I overheard a guy talking to some friends yesterday and I loved his comment so much, I have stolen it and I have used it twice today already. He said, "Our society is insanity run amok, masquerading as compassion".

I so agree.

Its all about virtue signaling. Many people don't care about the consequences of what they shout about, they just want to let everyone know how "outraged" they are.

Thats how in the name of compassion we end up defending felons that hurt people and demonizing the people that were victimized.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Martin75

Which kind of begs the question...why didn't she?.
What was in her path or was it simply disregard for the law.

I believe it was just disregard for the law. For so many years the laws were not getting enforced. She expected it to stay that way. Bet she's regretting it now.

Also, maybe her criminal conviction prevented her from starting the process because she thought she would have been denied. But she had years even before that in the country. She could have at least made an effort to become legal.

Good riddance! Her family will probably follow soon.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Like others have said. She apparently had time to become a citizen if she wanted. She committed a crime while being here as an illegal immigrant. So those are strikes against her.

However, was it really the smart move, to have the seemingly first person deported under Trump, be someone who was checking in with ICE regularly. Who has two kids who are citizens and is married to a citizen. I know she is a criminal but it sounds like she did her time for that crime. You would think she was trying to integrate, if she was married to a citizen and had two citizen kids. Because of that you would also think she spoke English.

Now don't get me wrong. The fact that she was deported. Is completely her own fault. I am not trying to argue otherwise. I am not someone who is pro illegal immigration. I think there should be some leeway and amnesty in certain cases, if a major crackdown is going to happen with mass deportations. But I am not even saying this is one of those cases.

I am just saying was it smart to make this woman the poster child for Trumps crackdown on illegal immigration. I am sure there was someone way worse that could of been the first. Not that it matters legally speaking, I guess. Just now people can rally around a family who lost their mom.

edit on 9-2-2017 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Well you play a stupid game, you win a stupid prize.

She's now a big winner!

Next...

edit on 9-2-2017 by Black_Fox because: tHiNgS

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme
From source:

"Relevant databases indicate Ms. Garcia De Rayos has a prior felony conviction dating from March 2009 for criminal impersonation,” the statement said.
As a result of the charge, Garcia de Rayos was then turned over to ICE, Ybarra-Maldonado said. She spent six months in ICE custody at the Eloy Detention Center, he said.
In 2013, an immigration judge found Garcia de Rayos had no legal stance to remain in the U.S. and issued a voluntary departure instructing her to leave the country, Ybarra-Maldonado said.

Yes, she served time. Not sure why that matters.

edit on 2/9/2017 by Martin75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

a reply to: shooterbrody

Did she serve time for that? I knew a woman convicted of uttering ( No not a friend in any way, just someone I knew)
She served like three months but she wasn't an alien either. I'm just wondering what the sentence was and if she did time.

Not exactly an indicator of a model citizen but it could have been a one time act of desperation in an otherwise well balanced life. Or it could indicate a person who is casual about the law in more ways than one.
Being a wife and mother though respectable titles doesn't naturally imply respectability. The above woman was an alcoholic and mother to four children with four different fathers and not a husband in the bunch. Well one was someone else's...how I knew her....
Anyway if this woman is anything like that other she's no gift to society but her story needs to be heard I think just because she's been here and has kids born here.

But why does it matter if she was an overall good person. She committed a felony. I don't care what her reasons were.

99% of criminals will tell you they are great people that made one mistake.

She knowingly committed a felony, one that by the way has ruined hundreds of thousands of peoples lives. And the law says she is to be deported, and while it may be sad for her family, instead of protesting the system and Trump, they ought to be focusing on the person who committed the crime, their mother.
edit on 9-2-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I don't know much about Mexican immigration laws but I've heard they're a lot more strict than ours are. Can her family go to Mexico to visit or live with her?

With the previous conviction and deportation she can still take the legal path for re-entry to rejoin her family, right?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Vortiki

Now to be fair the story doesn't say she collected welfare or that she didn't hold down a job and pay taxes.
Let's not assume she was a burden on society or that she wanted anything more than the opportunity to live in the United States.
Yes it should be legally. But right now we're dealing with her intent . Did she come here to sit on a couch collecting welfare or did she have a job and pay taxes?
There just isn't going g to be a tidy box for each illegal alien to fit into.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Now to be fair the story doesn't say she collected welfare or that she didn't hold down a job and pay taxes.
Let's not assume she was a burden on society or that she wanted anything more than the opportunity to live in the United States.
Yes it should be legally. But right now we're dealing with her intent . Did she come here to sit on a couch collecting welfare or did she have a job and pay taxes?

Unless you are Hillary Clinton intent doesn't matter. The lady broke the law and now is legally in Mexico

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

But their is a tidy box. Did you committ a felony? No, for now you can stay. Yes, you are gone.

Apparently there is talk of an order that will say if you are getting government beenfits and are unemployed you will be kicked out.

Another tidy box. Do you get benefits. If no you can stay, if yes you are out.

Intent, qualitys of charcater, skin color, religion; all irrelevant. Just those tidy boxes will matter.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

An illegal resident alien is no different than a standard US criminal that fled their arrest and lived a regular life elsewhere, thereby escaping the law.

Being an illegal, I can imagine that she did earn some money or citizen entitlements under a false pretense of being legal. (Even if her employer(s) knowingly hired her. They were committing an illegal act also.) So that was ill-gotten gains that, morally and legally, she owes back to the US taxpayers and government.

It makes me wonder how many times in those years of living here illegally has she had to lie to maintain her position?

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

It sends a message to illegal immigrants. Leave. Get your business in order to get ready to leave. no heartfelt compassionate non-arguments.

This will get the self-deportation ball rolling.

Deporting a murderer would not have.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: galaga
Is the husband a US citizen? Couldn't she have went that route?

She has a felony conviction.

Well that's the double whammy.

Illegal and felon and we know she probably voted.

As it is Reids home state.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Ugh. That is painful. I can feel it in my chest.

Beyond the emotional response, however, are a few questions:

1). What was the reason she did not obtain legal citizenship?

2). Legally, what recourse does she and her family have now?

3) If she were a US citizen, what would her sentence have been? Misdemeanor like college kids with fake IDs?

It is a harsh reality. It is not the first time someone has been deported for usuing a false ss# to gain employment.

This is a family tragedy, for sure, but I honestly don't have a defense for this woman unless more information can be provided that shows mitigating circumstances.

Here is some more info though that points to the harshness of AZ law as well... still, she was not here leagally.

Although a judge ordered that García de Rayos be sent back to Mexico, she was not considered a priority for deportation under the Obama administration since she didn’t demonstrate a threat to public safety or national security, and had no gang ties.

She appealed and was given permission to stay in the United States as long as she checked in with Immigration and Customs Enforcement every six months.

For eight years, she complied.

Then, shortly after taking office, President Donald Trump signed an executive order saying that undocumented immigrants convicted of any criminal offense should be deported immediately.

On Wednesday, García de Rayos headed to the ICE office in Phoenix for what should have been a routine check-in. She was arrested and placed into the van that took her to Nogales, Sonora.

So yeah. Painful. I hope this family can be reunited soon.

ETA: it says she "applied for permission to stay" and received it, so part of the protest is against her being removed after signing that agreement and checking in like she was supposed to. What a mess.
edit on 9-2-2017 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
I guess she should have started her path to citizenship years ago. Then she would be sitting at home with her family right now.

There is a path to legal citizenship. If you have not put in any effort to try to do this, I have no sympathy for you. There are going to be some hard times ahead, but these people are breaking our laws.

Indeed Martin. If the argument is that she was able to stay here illegal for decades and by means of identity theft and never bothered during those decades to become a legal citizen especially considering how relaxed immigration laws have been in the meantime then she and anyone attempting to defend it does not have much of a argument.

She was able to find a man and have kids and live here of the books but she was to lazy to become a legal citizen, for decades. I'm guessing she chose to keep it like this as it was cheaper not having to have to pay taxes.

They as a family do not need to be separated though. The rest of her family could always apply for a legal citizenship in mexico and live together with her there. But i doubt that is going to be as easy for them to legally go over to mexico as it was for her to illegally stay here for all that time.

Ironic really.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

How can a woman never mind her nationality be removed from her husband and two children?

Does the fact that's shes married to a US citizen and have children that are also US citizens not matter at all???

If that is indeed the way of it your nation is significantly more screwed up than i imagined.

Get well soon America.
edit on 9-2-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: everyone

The blame lies with her btw. No one else because if that is not enough time for her to arrange something like this then she did never plan to.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join