It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother taken into custody after decades in U.S.; 7 arrested in Phoenix protest

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: butcherguy

Illegally entering the US. Using a forged ID and SSN.

Yep, if she gets a pass, any US citizen should be allowed to use fake IDs and what not without any repercussion.

I hope the wingnuts don't burn a city down over the likes of her.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Is the husband a US citizen? Couldn't she have went that route?

link   
a reply to: xuenchen

According to CNN (i know) she has been deported. I hate to see families separated but this woman had 8 years to become a legal US citizen. She only has herself to blame.

Guadalupe Garcia de Rayos, a mother of two in Arizona, has been deported to her native Mexico, Carlos Garcia, director of the advocacy organization Puente Arizona, said Thursday.

In 2008, Garcia de Rayos was arrested in a workplace raid, convicted of felony impersonation and served six months in ICE detention before being released later that year, according to CNN affiliate KPHO/KTVK-TV. Originally from Mexico, she was in the country illegally.

Immigration officials said she was detained "based on a removal order issued by the Department of Justice's Executive Office for Immigration Review which became final in May 2013." "Relevant databases indicate Ms. Garcia De Rayos has a prior felony conviction dating from March 2009 for criminal impersonation," the ICE statement said. Activists said the woman's conviction stemmed from a false Social Security card she used for employment.

www.cnn.com...

link   
Did she ever bother trying to learn the language?

Seems a fair question.

If she did I might have some cause for her, as it shows she actually cared to join the nation.

+7 more 
link   
You break the law.

Your living on borrowed time.

I have no sympathy.

The majority of people don't get a free pass.

So why should she?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere
a reply to: bender151

originally posted by: bender151

You mean she had decades to become legal? Cry me a river.

Not sure why she wouldnt have obtained a green card or become a citizen in that time but theres no denying that this is a sad situation.

Cant be easy to be removed from a place you call home, separated from her husband and kids...

Have a heart man.

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I did have a heart about this.

I wonder if the people (not you but others) that want compassion for this woman who is guilty of id theft are compassionate for the criminals victims.

I could post thousands of thousands of horror stories of victims of ID theft, but here is one I quickly searched.

Waking up in the middle of the night realizing that federal agents has just entered your home with guns pointed and slapped with handcuffs certainly qualifies as one of the most horrifying ordeals in anyone’s life. And this is exactly what happened to Carlos Gomez, a UPS driver accused of being involved in a million dollar money laundering operation headed by a Wachovia bank employee.

Carlos spent close to two weeks in prison and another seven months under house arrest before federal prosecutors realized it was a mistake. With the prospect of losing his job because he was unable to inform his boss at UPS that he couldn’t report for work because he has just been arrested, Carlos contemplate the implication of his arrest.

Gomez was included in the list of 13 co-conspirators. He asked the agents what was he being charged with and the agents answered money laundering. He was also presented Wachovia checks bearing his name and replied that this was not his signature.

After spending nearly two weeks in detention, Carlos was released on a $100,000 bond. He resumed work for UPS but was only allowed to work during the day but remained under house arrest during the night.

In a country where everybody is presumed innocent, the burden of proving himself innocent was squarely on his shoulders. He took polygraph tests on his lawyer’s advice and passed. He then went to a local branch of Wells Fargo, the one who took over Wachovia and asked the address of the checking account used to launder money.

www.consumersadvocate.org...

That is why "feelings" arent an argument, because they ignore the victims of these criminals.

So again, I am sorry that this woman and her family must go through this, but she CHOSE to break the law.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
1 down.....15,735.092 to go. I am not sorry or heartbroken. I would love to see how many years of public assistance she has collected that could have been used for citizens of the US. A felon even.

“We’re living in an era of a war on immigrants,” Ybarra Maldonado said. “This is President Trump’s first move and it’s now time for our community to organize and fight back.”

A war on immigrants? Fight back? You do that Ybarra...

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: galaga
Is the husband a US citizen? Couldn't she have went that route?

She has a felony conviction.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
If I get a couple more Social Security numbers, can I get more benefits when I retire?
Maybe I should call the Social Security office and find out.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Did she ever bother trying to learn the language?

Seems a fair question.

If she did I might have some cause for her, as it shows she actually cared to join the nation.

Don't care if she speaks English. All she had to do was start her legal path to citizenship. She must not have thought too much of her family as she had to know this was a possibility and it must not have worried her too bad.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Which kind of begs the question...why didn't she?.
What was in her path or was it simply disregard for the law.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
She committed a felony, stealing someones identity. So although I feel bad for her family, she should be deported.

She should have been deported when she was found guilty in 2013, then her family would have had time to adapt and make decisions by now.

For those who think that she shouldn't be deported because it hurts her family, two questions.

1# Do you shed tears for the person whose identity she stole? What if that person lost their house because of this theft?

2# Shouldn't this argument apply to all crime. "Well you are found guilty of burglary young man, but we can't jail you because it would be creul to remove you from your family".

I am sorry this woman is being punished, but she committed a serious crime and now must face the consequences of her choice.

Don't be sorry, we have nothing to be sorry about. They have been ripping the taxpayers off for a long time. This specific person not only is ripping off the taxpayers, but also stole someone's identity as you pointed out.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Criminal minds are always questionable aren't they.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

That would be awesome if he passed a deal like this while the liberals were busy crying and pouting over the immigration restriction and Pocahontas... I was thinking to myself, a week ago, how hilarious it would be if he did something like that. Once the left stopped screaming long enough to hear themselves, it would be too late.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

She obviously had no desire to follow the law. Becoming a citizen cost money, money that many illegals do not want to spend. It also will mean that they will have to start paying taxes, get insurance, and follow other US laws. As long as they stay illegal and off the books they are not required to pay for any of this. That is why many of them won't become a citizen and why I have no use for them.
edit on 2/9/2017 by Martin75 because: fat fingers make for bad spelling

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
What is why "feelings" arent an argument, because they ignore the victims of these criminals.

So again, I am sorry that this woman and her family must go through this, but she CHOSE to break the law.

I overheard a guy talking to some friends yesterday and I loved his comment so much, I have stolen it and I have used it twice today already. He said, "Our society is insanity run amok, masquerading as compassion".

I so agree.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75

She obviously had no desire to follow the law. Becoming a citizen cost money, money that many illegals do not want to spend. It also will mean that they will have to start paying taxes, get insurance, and follow other US laws. As long as they stay illegal and off the books they are not required to pay for any of this. That is why many of them won't become a citizen and why I have no use for them.

Exactly, Throw the tax money thieves out. That money is for citizens only not these leeches.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

It's called greed.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
So even under Obama's "felons get deported" rule she should've been deported, and still wasn't.

Meh. She'll be back by St. Patrick's Day.
The incredible journey part two?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Did she serve time for that? I knew a woman convicted of uttering ( No not a friend in any way, just someone I knew)
She served like three months but she wasn't an alien either. I'm just wondering what the sentence was and if she did time.

Not exactly an indicator of a model citizen but it could have been a one time act of desperation in an otherwise well balanced life. Or it could indicate a person who is casual about the law in more ways than one.
Being a wife and mother though respectable titles doesn't naturally imply respectability. The above woman was an alcoholic and mother to four children with four different fathers and not a husband in the bunch. Well one was someone else's...how I knew her....
Anyway if this woman is anything like that other she's no gift to society but her story needs to be heard I think just because she's been here and has kids born here.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join