It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keith Lamont Scott record...multiple armed felonies but yeah...lets protest.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: ketsuko

Here's the thing ... we're talking about communities that are their own worst enemies. How do you police an area with high crime, especially high violent crime, and an automatic attitude toward cops at the outset and the idea that snitches get stitches?

Hi crime is a result of oppression, lack of education, jobs, drugs, gangsters; allowed, indeed promoted in order to keep the whole community down. So we get a war for turf between the gangbangers and the police, who treat everyone like a gangsta.

You can call any community its own worst enemy, buts its only a few that are really the troublemakers. Ordinary people are caught in the middle.

Lack of education ... I taught in an inner city school for a time. Was it a primo suburban facility? No, but it did have books and teachers and all the basic supplies needed for kids to learn to write, read and do math. Frankly, although inner city schools may not have the bells and whistles of some the so-called rich schools, they are still far more advanced with far better facilities than many of the schools kids manage to get well-educated in in third world countries - schools that are barely wattle and daub construction.

Do you know what I noticed in my time in the inner cities? An attitude of being too cool for school. Every single one was a rapper or a basketball player or would razz the kids who were trying to learn for acting white. One boy had been offered the chance to go to the district's elite college preparatory school more than once and he said he didn't want to because he didn't want to be thought of as a acting white.

Kids had parents who plain didn't care or didn't have the time to make them care or both. It was a family issue as much as cultural one. So those kids have no education, but it cannot be blamed on the system entirely.

Jobs come to a place that is stable for business. If an area has high crime, the business can't come because it will be robbed blind. This is a self-perpetuating problem and part of it lies with the people in an area. Do you force a business to locate to an area where it takes enormous losses from crime?

Another issue is lack of job skills and I don't mean education. If people cannot be bothered to show up on time every day reliably, then they won't have a job. It's that simple. Part of that starts with showing on time to their classes in school every time every day which they aren't taught to do and don't cultivate an attitude of being important because ... acting white and too cool for that.

Then you have attitude on the job, and we see lack of respect for authority. It's obvious in these police issues. You can't run your work life as if you do what you want. You do what your boss tells you or more than that, and if you behave for your boss like we see some of these people acting toward cops, then you don't have a job.

And when you haven't lived a life that has earned your education or learned basic job skills to enable you get, keep and hold down a legitimate job, then you have crime as your alternative. It is a self-perpetuating cycle, and a good part of it lies within the people themselves as much as any part of the system as a whole.

In order for any of it to be fixed, this has to be realized on their part as much as anyone else's. You cannot give things to people who are not willing to change their own attitudes and behaviors and education levels in order to enable anything made to accommodate worth anything.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

See...everyone thinks it is about being black. It isn't. It is about the community itself.

Yah, the authorities, the 'community' management that oppresses the people in the "community".

If you reviewed the link I brought from Ora above, you'd know that.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Lack of education ... I taught in an inner city school for a time.

Did you feed the kids breakfast, too? Lots of them come from broken or single, lo wage environments. They come to school hungry, and you expected them to absorb your teachings on an empty stomach.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

See...everyone thinks it is about being black. It isn't. It is about the community itself.

Yah, the authorities, the 'community' management that oppresses the people in the "community".

If you reviewed the link I brought from Ora above, you'd know that.

Whatever....tired of the excuses given for bad behavior. Everyone, regardless of upbringing, is able to decipher what they should and should not do and what is legal and what it not.

Consequences for actions are what happen...if they can't understand this then there is no point trying to help.

In my ideal world, I would completely pull police out of these areas and see what happens. You think it would become a super peaceful community with everyone helping those in need? That would be a great social experiment.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Whatever....tired of the excuses given for bad behavior.

But excuse the bad behavior on authorities part, exclusively.

Take the log out of your own eye, first.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Whatever....tired of the excuses given for bad behavior.

But excuse the bad behavior on authorities part, exclusively.

Take the log out of your own eye, first.

Nope....don't excuse any of them...not sure where the bad behavior in this case is though.

Like I said...pull the police out completely and lets see how fast Charlotte burns.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Are you suggesting inner city kids don't eat breakfast? Can you provide links that back up that claim? You do realize you sound racist right now right? You're basically saying black people don't feed their kids..

You also realize that low income families often get free food and the schools, especially inner city schools, provide breakfast for kids?
edit on 24-9-2016 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko
a reply to: intrptr

Are you suggesting inner city kids don't eat breakfast? Can you provide links that back up that claim? You do realize you sound racist right now right? You're basically saying black people don't feed their kids..

You also realize that low income families often get free food and the schools, especially inner city schools, provide breakfast for kids?

Pretty much what is being said....the irony abounds.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

multiple felony convictions

So, Scott was convicted of a misdemeanor 12 years ago, driving under the influence last year, charged with some other stuff 25 years ago, was convicted of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon (a felony) served his time, and was released 5 years ago.

Where are the "multiple" felony convictions? I see one, for which he served his time. So, are you saying that if a person is convicted of a felony and serve their time, their killing can be justified, even when the cops don't know who it is they're shooting or what his past history is?

Sure, some of the shootings can't be justified, but this one is NOT one of those.

People need to justify their opinions when they know they are vile...this is how people do it with minorities being killed by cops.

They try to dig up something about their past and say "See,he was a bad person and deserved to be executed without a judge or jury". It's makes them feel better, when what they really think is "He was black, probably was a bad person anyway, he deserved to die".

Yet more whites than blacks, almost double, are killed by cops every year.

No need to dig anything up from the past? So courts and spouses and jobs shouldn't worry about what people have done in the past? Interesting. Why do we even have jails then? I mean once a crime is done it's in the past. Hell....why are we even debating this shooting? It's in the past.

Is there a specific time requirement for past activities before we shouldn't look at them? Maybe use the statute of limitations for being prosecuted?

Grand logic there.

Ok let me take what youy say at face value. Almost double the number of whites die to cops. But the black population in the US is about 13% and the white population is about 77%. That's nearly 6x! So shouldn't there be approximately 6 times more white persons dying to cops? This would imply blacks are dying to cops 3 times more than expected.
edit on 9/24/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite

So, Scott was convicted of a misdemeanor 12 years ago, driving under the influence last year, charged with some other stuff 25 years ago, was convicted of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon (a felony) served his time, and was released 5 years ago.

Where are the "multiple" felony convictions? I see one, for which he served his time. So, are you saying that if a person is convicted of a felony and serve their time, their killing can be justified, even when the cops don't know who it is they're shooting or what his past history is?

Sure, some of the shootings can't be justified, but this one is NOT one of those.

People need to justify their opinions when they know they are vile...this is how people do it with minorities being killed by cops.

They try to dig up something about their past and say "See,he was a bad person and deserved to be executed without a judge or jury". It's makes them feel better, when what they really think is "He was black, probably was a bad person anyway, he deserved to die".

No need to dig anything up from the past? So courts and spouses and jobs shouldn't worry about what people have done in the past? Interesting. Why do we even have jails then? I mean once a crime is done it's in the past. Hell....why are we even debating this shooting? It's in the past.

Is there a specific time requirement for past activities before we shouldn't look at them? Maybe use the statute of limitations for being prosecuted?

Grand logic there.

Ok let me take what youy say at face value. Almost double the number of whites die to cops. But the black population in the US is about 13% and the white population is about 77%. That's nearly 6x! So shouldn't there be approximately 6 times more white persons dying to cops?

Do you really think the black population is taking "per capita" into account?

Either way...double the amount of whites have died...per capita or not as far as actual numbers are concerned.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Grand logic there.

Ok let me take what youy say at face value. Almost double the number of whites die to cops. But the black population in the US is about 13% and the white population is about 77%. That's nearly 6x! So shouldn't there be approximately 6 times more white persons dying to cops?

Technically, if you want to do this by per capita results you would have to do it by the exact city where each black person died. I haven't looked up those stats but I would say in those cities/towns that the ratio is a bit different. If you look at this as a nationwide stat then sure it will skew that way.

I see the per capita argument as being a bit odd...regardless of the numbers of each race more whites have died than any race combined at the hands of police.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Grand logic there.

Either way...double the amount of whites have died...per capita or not as far as actual numbers are concerned.

I did some googling and found this link:
www.chicagotribune.com - Analysis: More whites killed by police, but blacks 2.5 times more likely to be killed ...

If it's true--in absolute numbers nationwide--double the number of whites die to cops than blacks then my 3x number I gave isn't far off from what the link shows--it gives 2.5x. But I don't know much about these stats and neither am I educated in these matters. Maybe I will look further into it.

EDIT: My 77% estimate for white population is from this:
en.wikipedia.org - White Americans...

White Americans are Americans who are considered or reported as White. The United States Census Bureau defines White people as those "having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa."[2] Like all official U.S. racial categories, "White" has a "Not Hispanic or Latino" and a "Hispanic or Latino" component,[3] the latter consisting mostly of White Mexican Americans and White Cuban Americans. The term "Caucasian" is often used interchangeably with "White", although the terms are not synonymous.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Grand logic there.

www.chicagotribune.com - Analysis: More whites killed by police, but blacks 2.5 times more likely to be killed ...
If it's true--in absolute numbers nationwide--double the number of whites die to cops than blacks then my 3x number I gave isn't far off from what the link shows--it gives 2.5x. But I don't know much about these stats and neither am I educated in these matters, so...

Sure...that is a per capita result. Actual numbers are twice as many whites.

Anywho....I would highly doubt that if you asked any rioters on these cases they would have any idea about the actual numbers.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Grand logic there.

If it's true--in absolute numbers nationwide--double the number of whites die to cops than blacks then my 3x number I gave isn't far off from what the link shows--it gives 2.5x. But I don't know much about these stats and neither am I educated in these matters, so...

Anywho....I would highly doubt that if you asked any rioters on these cases they would have any idea about the actual numbers.

From that same link is a quote:

"The only thing that was significant in predicting whether someone shot and killed by police was unarmed was whether or not they were black," said Justin Nix, a criminal-justice researcher at the University of Louisville and one of the report's authors, said in April. "Crime variables did not matter in terms of predicting whether the person killed was unarmed."
"This just bolsters our confidence that there is some sort of implicit bias going on," Nix said. "Officers are perceiving a greater threat when encountered by unarmed black citizens."

In the link they explain they how htey already looked at violent crime explanations and regional affects. They gave an example using 2009 data, showing how black americans were charged with much higher rates of some crimes--like robberies, murders and assaults-- than whites, despite only being 15 percent of the population. But this doesn't explain why police target blacks, especialy unarmed blacks, so often. They also looked at high crime neighborhoods and found police were not more likely to target them. End result is race seems to be the only reason unarmed blacks are targetted more frequently.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Grand logic there.

"The only thing that was significant in predicting whether someone shot and killed by police was unarmed was whether or not they were black," said Justin Nix, a criminal-justice researcher at the University of Louisville and one of the report's authors, said in April. "Crime variables did not matter in terms of predicting whether the person killed was unarmed."
"This just bolsters our confidence that there is some sort of implicit bias going on," Nix said. "Officers are perceiving a greater threat when encountered by unarmed black citizens."

It would be hard to justify those figures the researcher came up with. That would imply a nationwide conspiracy by all police forces.

Either way...I am sure the more anyone drills into exact scenarios, the more evidence they can bring that shows blacks more likely to die. the only reason they do this is because the actual numbers don't mesh with the story they want to tell...double the number of whites are dead.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Like I said...pull the police out completely and lets see how fast Charlotte burns.

Anyplace USA will 'burn' if you "pull the police out".

Criminals will come from everywhere to pillage and 'burn'.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

I did. Up the thread ^^^.

As long as populations are victimized by authorities for 'revenues', yeah people are poorer, have less money.

Thats the whole idea...

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Grand logic there.

In the link they explain they how htey already looked at violent crime explanations and regional affects. They gave an example using 2009 data, showing how black americans were charged with much higher rates of some crimes--like robberies, murders and assaults-- than whites, despite only being 15 percent of the population. But this doesn't explain why police target blacks, especialy unarmed blacks, so often. They also looked at high crime neighborhoods and found police were not more likely to target them. End result is race seems to be the only reason unarmed blacks are targetted more frequently.

Blacks commit crimes at much higher rates per capita, especially violent crime. It stands to reason because of this inconvenient fact that blacks are far more likely to have police encounters that could result in their death. If there were some massive conspiracy to shoot blacks, we would we see far more cases where blacks who have no previous connection with law enforcement were being shot wantonly. It rarely happens. In almost all these cases, the victim is a felon and has a history of resisting arrests. The bottom line is that they wind up being shot as a result of their non compliance which creates a volatile situation and unfortuately, they wind up losing their life.

Over or under representation of a demographic does not imply a conspiracy, racism, or any other type of intentional discrimination.

Where I do agree is that black men may elicit more fear in officers which may lead to some being shot at the margins statistically, but I don't think there is any way to really prove this as the numbers we are dealing with are so small to begin with it would be hard to prove any kind of correlation. Rationally, this is probably because black men commit a disproportionate amount of crime.

posted on Sep, 24 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The cancerous and gangrenous disease known as "political correctness" is what has given rise to these protests for criminal deaths. I really wish everything could slowly reverse, I hope this is just a phase in human history but I fear it isn't if we keep allowing political correctness.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

And about 30% of the time if not more in the really bad areas those benefits are sold for drugs.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join