It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overseas travel warnings about USA mount

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Okay, calm down. I wasn't insulting you personally!

I am not taking anything personally. I just find these overseas ignoramuses funny since they have the same, if not more, issues than we do.

edit on 12-8-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Misterlondon
I'm in the states in November.. Two fingers to the ridiculous warnings from the UK.

We will do our best to make sure you do not get murdered, beaten by the police and/or have your sexual identity questioned when you come to the NYC meet up.

Ah come on man.. Wouldn't be a holiday unless at least 2 of those things happened..

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I am not taking anything personally. I just find these overseas ignoramuses funny since they have the same, if not more, issues than we do.

Gotcha.

Me, too. My aunt would gasp in horror when I told her I was driving into Chicago by myself. Nothing EVER happened. But then you get asshats like Mr "I-Don't-Tow-Sanders-Supporters" and Kim Davis making headlines.....

the press is horrible for their bad news crap.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I get the opportunity to talk to a lot of different people from different cultures at my school. Here's what I hear:
  • Why do American police hate foreigners?
  • You have some crazy laws over here.
  • I'm afraid to leave campus.
  • Why do you fight over something that happend 150 years ago? (slavery)
  • The police are so mean here.
  • You fight over the silliest things! (lately referencing the LGBT bathroom mess or the Confederate Battlejack fiasco)
  • Why is everyone in everyone's business?

This is on a multinational campus in a multicultural, high-tech city.

I honestly don't think the problems that worry them are the immediate problems, but that our immediate problems are precursors to much more dramatic issues. The United States have been the United States since it became the United States; we have never seen a bloody coup or forced regime change... the single attempt was the War of Northern Aggression. We have become complacent in our belief that law and order will always prevail and our way of life can never be interrupted.

They have seen violent revolts in other countries. They know we are in denial, and they see seeds of violence being sown daily. The warnings, IMHO, are not about what is, but about what probably will be.

I wish we would listen to them... but that wouldn't be arrogant enough to be 'American.'

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
As an American I don't feel that Germany and France are the safest places to visit right now.
The way the news is reported though can you blame me?
Europeans are likely the victims of the same news media.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Just saying. Do you all care what people think of America? I do.

Nope. I travel overseas a few times a year and I still use my American passport over my Italian one. If some tool bag overseas does not like me or the United States that is their problem.

I think most of us northerners love you, but are extremely iffy about the states. Your cops have zero sense of humour, last time I was there, we all got kicked out because a couple of us were mooning cops. They said get out, they'll just wave you straight through at the border, they're expecting you 🙄
US border people are also nasty. Unless they can't wait to get you back to Canada.....

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The real reason is the dollar is up and it's expensive. Simple enough.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I don't mind really if we become isolationist, but I DO MIND if we are thought to be savages.

To the pretentious and self-deluding European (or citizen of elsewhere) that thinks were are savages, I say, 'who cares?', they will always think that. I have travelled all over Europe, they have their own systemic issues that are not going away any time soon such as xenophobia, bigotry and cultural malaise. They need to get their own houses in order as well. It is not some garden paradise where everyone sings Kumbaya.

And if you asked me where I would rather live it is here 10 times out of 10.

This X 10^(n+1) X infinity

Kumbaya B1tches!!!

Must be some real stupid immigrants in the world , as they fight so hard to come to such a horrible place. Me and my family included. The US is broken in many places and no doubt declining but that is the doing of our Gov't ,DNC, GOP, and the MSM.

The hate and bigotry I see, is mostly being inflamed by the same people acting as victims or so called leaders.

edit on 59831America/ChicagoFri, 12 Aug 2016 10:59:58 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Hopefully they are telling them to stay away from the inner cities that are full of homegrown ghetto terrorists and liberal loonies.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Meh.

I live here, they don't. They don't like it here? Oh well. They don't want to visit here? Again: oh well. Their loss.

As far as the loss of tourism dollars: I'd much rather we be a country that depends on manufacturing jobs than a bunch of people coming here to gawk at things. It would be much more productive, and means we are not being dependent upon foreign money....as in the past when we did have the jobs here.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

You have to remember that a lot of these people don't think these things through.

For example, my Dad lives in a small city. There's a small but very wealthy Middle Eastern Muslim population there. These people mainly come from Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, (w/some from the UAE to my understanding). They've pumped a lot of money into the local economy through property sales, and have a successful scholarship program with the local university. They bring countrymen and married countrywomen to get educated here & the young male students are notorious for buying sports cars with part of their scholarship stipend (which helps the local car & accessory markets).

However, it's also a very "conservative" city. I met my first NeoNazis when I was in 7th grade there and many of the small cities around there are still "sundown towns". Needless to say, they're very pro-Trump and also want to kick out Muslims, not just the immigrants. The Muslim community there is on good terms with the local govt & the local police dept and it contributes a lot of money to the local economy. But that hasn't stopped the vandalisms against the mosque, the death threats, or the overall negative feelings.

So honestly, I'm kind of torn on this one. On one hand, it definitely makes sense for some of these countries to warn their citizens about the atmosphere down here. Our countries do the same thing to other countries for a lot less. And I see no reason to jump through the proverbial hoops to appease bigots (not to mention our political indifference to the high rates of gun-related deaths).

But on the other hand, the cooperation w/the govt, police, and Muslims in that community has become so strong specifically because the major players work together even through hard times. So it actually makes sense for people to keep coming here, which will continue to reduce the stigmas and stereotypes against them.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

The list of questions you listed by foreigners is legitimate. I've heard and read the very same comments over the years by overseas visitors to the states.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
My profession takes me all over the country. I turn down well paying gigs in the American south.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
I'm in the states in November.. Two fingers to the ridiculous warnings from the UK.

There are places here in the UK that I would also advise tourists not to visit.
Anyway American chicks dig the English accent, won't be giving that up for anything.

Hell yeah they do!!!!!!!

Involved with a American chick right now.

Picking up hot American chicks with a British ascent like shooting with a mini gun fish in a barrel.

I just dread if we marry about the were we are going to live talk......
edit on 12-8-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Absolutely ridiculous. France has had more terrorism than the united states. I find it veey ironic that they advice their citizens against travel here. Dumb people are dumb.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
To everyone!

DON'T GO TO THE NORTHWEST COAST.

That's where I live and finding a parking spot is sometimes troubling.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
My profession takes me all over the country. I turn down well paying gigs in the American south.

Well you are ridiculous and propoganda has gotten to you. I have lived in Indianapolis, northern Indiana, London, and Dallas. I have seen almost no difference in the way people treat eachother or the qaulity of life. If anything these "hateful bigots" down in the US south are more welcoming and polite than the people I met in England. Granted, not by much, but I experienced some anti-US sentiment over there. Ignorance and fear my friends, ignorance and fear.
edit on 12-8-2016 by dr1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: dr1234

originally posted by: olaru12

Well you are ridiculous and propoganda has gotten to you. I have lived in Indianapolis, northern Indiana, London, and Dallas. I have seen almost no difference in the way people treat eachother or the qaulity of life. If anything these "hateful bigots" down in the US south are more welcoming and polite than the people I met in England. Granted, not by much, but I experienced some anti-US sentiment over there. Ignorance and fear my friends, ignorance and fear.

I usually travel with a crew and we at one time worked from Texas to Florida. Our crew consists of Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, gays and anglos. If we needed the money we would tolerate the racial, homophobic BS we encounter in the South but we are blessed financially to be able to pick and chose our gigs. It's not propaganda...it's personal experience. When we were heading to a location, we never let the black guys drive; just asking to get pulled over.
edit on 12-8-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Wrong.

It's called: You being judgemental over a entire area and groups of people.

You know: that very same thing you are claiming that exists in the south?

But of course you're "enlightened" and would never judge large groups of people like that.......right?

smh

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Oh, this can't backfire at all.
France putting out crap like this is especially ironic. They've had more people killed in terrorist attacks in one year, than we had in mass shootings in almost a decade.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join