It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overseas travel warnings about USA mount

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Welp, folks. We are now considered a dangerous tourist destination. Thanks to all of the bigots and hair-trigger fools, the xenophobia and gay-hating - now countries (European countries!) are telling their citizens to not come here - or at least to stay away from certain regions.

Is that what we want?

To become a menacing place to visit? 218 BILLION with a B dollars a year in tourism - I was at Rocky Mountain National Park last month and it was crawling with foreigners - do we want that to stop?

I don't.
I want us to be considered a welcoming, good place. But, it is what it is....keep it up, America, and we will become a third-world nation that no one wants to visit. A once-developed country that became a cesspool. If you want the whole world to really hate us and be afraid - that's what is happening. Or - we can knock it off, clean up our act, and restore decorum, tolerance, and peace to our streets.

It's up to the citizenry. NOT the President. NOT the cops. NOT the SJWs. It's up to ALL OF US to behave, to be tolerant and kind, to be open and welcoming of all who come here with good intentions.

Overseas travel warnings about USA mount

BERLIN — Government travel advisories are common for war-torn, disease-ravaged nations, but a growing number of countries are warning their citizens about taking trips to the United States.

The United Arab Emirates, Bahamas, France, United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand and Germany are among those urging caution to U.S.-bound travelers. The concerns include mass shootings, police violence, anti-Muslim and anti-LGBT attitudes and the Zika virus.

While it is too soon to determine if the warnings are hurting U.S. tourism, the warnings tarnish the image the U.S. promotes abroad of a country that prides itself on being a welcoming society and bastion of democracy.

"People understand that there is a range of things to do and iconic things to see in the (United) States,” said Tom Buncle, managing director of the Yellow Railroad, an international tourism consultancy in Scotland. "But all of the warnings that come from specific instances add up and can potentially erode the positive image of the U.S.”

Just saying. Do you all care what people think of America? I do. I don't want to be tarred with an ignorant-hater brush. So if it's all the same to everyone else, please just stop acting like jerks, America!!!

edit on 8/12/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Another thought - my daughter does a lot of traveling abroad, and she says that the airport in Atlanta is EXCEPTIONALLY awful, rude, unpleasant, unwelcoming, and awful. Manners are FREE. Rude is really not okay in a public setting.

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Just saying. Do you all care what people think of America? I do.

Nope. I travel overseas a few times a year and I still use my American passport over my Italian one. If some tool bag overseas does not like me or the United States that is their problem.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I meant as a collective and as a tourist destination, or a school destination, or a safe place to live.

+30 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

a
I meant as a collective and as a tourist destination, or a school destination, or a safe place to live.

Overall crime is down in the United States and has been going down for decades. If some jackasses from overseas want to exaggerate current social issues and get all triggered, oh well, have at it paintywaists.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Despite the travel advisories, "the United States remains a first-rate tourist destination," said Mark Toner, deputy spokesman for the U.S. State Department. "We value the enormous economic benefit that foreign tourists bring to the United States each year.”

Let's keep it that way!! Right?

Okay, good.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Yes, it is. It is down overall. There are still riots breaking out, and clubs full of people being killed, and that other sort of stuff. Whether it's real or not, if people perceive it be then they won't come here. I don't mind really if we become isolationist, but I DO MIND if we are thought to be savages.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I'm from Canada and visit the states a few times a year. I've never recieved any warnings saying to not travel there. Everytime I go, I see things that make me shake my head or that leave me perplexed...but so do many travellers to Canada, surely.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Huh when I turn on the local news all i see is inner city murders, rapes and kidnappings. Where are all of these targeting crimes you speak of that the rest of the world is scared of?

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Europe unliked the US of Facebook.

Is it time to put on my panic-pants?

+15 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I don't mind really if we become isolationist, but I DO MIND if we are thought to be savages.

To the pretentious and self-deluding European (or citizen of elsewhere) that thinks were are savages, I say, 'who cares?', they will always think that. I have travelled all over Europe, they have their own systemic issues that are not going away any time soon such as xenophobia, bigotry and cultural malaise. They need to get their own houses in order as well. It is not some garden paradise where everyone sings Kumbaya.

And if you asked me where I would rather live it is here 10 times out of 10.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Europe unliked the US of Facebook.

No worries, I mean-Tweeted them back.

Is it time to put on my panic-pants?

You need to put on any pants.

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
All this news from BERLIN hmmm
Meanwhile..... ISIS sleeper cells and hit squads are posing as refugees in Germany!

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I'm in the states in November.. Two fingers to the ridiculous warnings from the UK.

There are places here in the UK that I would also advise tourists not to visit.
Anyway American chicks dig the English accent, won't be giving that up for anything.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
...or that leave me perplexed...but so do many travellers to Canada, surely.

I know, tell me about it, I tried to check the sports page in a Canadian paper to get the baseball scores and all it contained was 6 pages of high school hockey.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I'm glad to hear that - could well be that this is hyped. I haven't checked USA Today's reputation lately -

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I think Americans are in a type of abusive relationship. They themselves cannot tell just how awful things are, but their friends can see it crystal clear.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Okay, calm down. I wasn't insulting you personally!

I've traveled abroad (not to Eastern countries, though) - and found other countries to have their own flavor of 'hospitality' that is nowhere near as nice as MOST AMERICANS are.

It's mostly the LBGT and Muslim communities that are being warned.
I went to Norway some years ago and blended right in unless I spoke - and some old man there tried to hail the taxi that was mine - people stand in line at the taxi stands and don't speak or chat or look at each other. It's weird. Anyway - it was dusk, I was traveling alone, standing alone at the taxi stand with my bags. And this guy walked 25 feet up the road and tried to wave down "my" taxi. I yelled "HEY!" because I'm like that - and the cabbie realized what was going on and came to my spot. The guy looked surprised first, and then pissed off - and I offered to share the taxi with him. He got in, we started chatting - and he wound up paying for the taxi AND helping me with my bags as I got out at the hotel.

Many people don't smile, or meet people's eyes in public. They look at you funny if you smile at them. It's weird.

I know not to go into bad neighborhoods, and I don't worry in general about travelling in the US. So, this makes me sad. I have relatives who get horrified at the idea of going into Chicago at all - yet my daughter lived in Lincoln Park for a year without incident (although there were needles on the floor in the hotel where her dad stayed nearby).

Maybe this thread is just a warning sign - to people who make us all look like violent thugs. That's all.
Donald isn't helping.

Okay - carry on. I'm out.

edit on 8/12/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
I'm in the states in November.. Two fingers to the ridiculous warnings from the UK.

We will do our best to make sure you do not get murdered, beaten by the police and/or have your sexual identity questioned when you come to the NYC meet up.

posted on Aug, 12 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Atsbhct
...or that leave me perplexed...but so do many travellers to Canada, surely.

I know, tell me about it, I tried to check the sports page in a Canadian paper to get the baseball scores and all it contained was 6 pages of high school hockey.

This doesn't surprise me in the least. In the fall, it also lists the weight of bucks and does.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join