It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Can Citizens Do To Bridge The Ever Increasing Gap Between Them And The Police?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Honestly, I see a police officer I say hi, they look at you like scum. I saw a cashier joke with a police officer, he said nothing just looked at them annoyed.

Oh my gosh, same here! I'm a senior citizen who had just moved into a new small town, about 6000 residents. I saw I a police officer and smiled and waved. Not only did he give me a shocking stink eye stare, but he continued to follow me with his contemptuous ogle for several seconds as I walked by him. Really unnerving. Is that some new technique they're teaching cops now?

edit on 13-7-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Well maybe act like the police seem to do on alot of occasions.

Always carry a gun.

Always assume the police are armed and dangerous.

If a policeman looks like he may be reaching or moving his hand inside his jacket or near his waist, assume they are going for a gun to kill you and shoot them first.

Think that would work?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

I would like to start a thread that discusses what the citizens can do to improve their relationships with the police.

The best thing the public can do -- and what we have a responsibility to do -- is to better define LEO job specifications and make sure LE has all the tools and equipment and training needed to PROTECT US properly -- as I have advocated for many many times.

For the most part, however, this strikes me as the LE version of an abusive husband standing over his wife after beating her to a pulp and yelling, "See what you made me do? Why do you make me do that? I don't want to beat the living hell outta you, but you made me!!! Why can't you just be a good wife/girlfriend/mother/whatever?" And then the woman bends over backwards and juggles while jumping through flaming hoops... and it's never ever enough. Because SHE'S not the problem. HE is. And no matter how much she does or doesn't do, it will never ever be enough. There's even a name for it: Battered Women Syndrome.

Now I know where this is going. LE keeps abusing the public, blaming us, and demanding ever more from us... because it's OUR fault that LEOs are abusive, sadistic and murderous. Battered Public Syndrome. Got it. Good to know.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

yes

but then you can't call guy with star "sheriff" because etymology

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

this strikes me as the LE version of an abusive husband standing over his wife

no

we don't marry cops: we employ cops

they is the wife here sugartits
edit on 32601v2016Wednesday by wisvol because: claiming "sugartits" back as a term of colloquial expression

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: wisvol

Haha! Had to laugh at your choice of words... but I get your point...

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Wow, I just haven't had that experience. Other than one "Barney Fife" type cop that pulled me over because he said I ran a stop sign (I didn't - the car in front of me did, and I guess the goober cop got confused), I have had only positive friendly experiences with cops.

I'm going to tell a story that will embarrass the heck out of me, but it's one example of a personal experience I had with a couple of cops.

My husband travels a lot for business, so I spend many nights alone with my daughter. One night, I was woken up by a crashing sound and some mutterings and cussing coming from downstairs (the bedrooms are upstairs). I was confused and thought someone had broken in my house. I called 911, and they sent a patrol car over within a couple of minutes. While I was waiting, I started to wake up a little more and realized that my husband had come home from a business trip the day before. I slowly walked downstairs and called his name. He answered, saying he was in the kitchen and he dropped a full container of sugar on the floor and was mad about having to clean it up. The doorbell rang at that moment and I had to quickly explain to him that I called the cops cuz I thought he was a home invader! I opened the front door, and laughing, told the cops I had made a mistake and the ruckus was from my husband and everything was okay. They asked to come in so they could make sure everything was okay. I let them in and they followed me into the kitchen. My husband and I were laughing our butts off and I was sooooo embarrassed. I apologized profusely for wasting their time. They laughed along with us and told me not to apologize for calling, that anytime I felt unsafe, I should call them - that's what they're there for.

I realize that I'm a white woman living in a middle to upper class neighborhood, and experiences by a minority living in a lower class neighborhood might be different, but truly, I have never had an experience that would make me hate all cops.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

"What Can Citizens Do To Bridge The Ever Increasing Gap Between Them And The Police?"

Suppose if you cant beat them, joining them could be an option for some. LoL

Personally that option would not sit right with my stomach all the same.

The best option is just to try and stay out of there attention, however some of the atrocity's they perpetrate against the general public these days, avoiding there attention is simply untenable.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

I agree with everything you said.

Just to add, the law enforcement community does all kinds of things like you suggested. There is shop with a cop, tip a cop, coffee with a cop, LE torch run, national night out, camp chance, PAL, etc.

The problem is, not many are taking advantage of such things.

I see the coffee with a cop thing and other things in my neighborhood all the time, but as you say its older retired folk. I would like to go but I work full time and these things are always scheduled at extremely inconvenient times.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: wisvol

I beg to differ.

Uh, the organic Constitution was tossed loooong ago and replaced with the government friendly illusional constitution. Our country is a corporation, a for profit corp, not a sovereign country, but heavily owned by the British. There are only 3 sovereign countries in existance.

If this is news to you, google Act of 1871 and go from there.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I realize that I'm a white woman living in a middle to upper class neighborhood, and experiences by a minority living in a lower class neighborhood might be different, but truly, I have never had an experience that would make me hate all cops.

Oh, I don't hate all cops, but I've had some bone chilling experiences with a couple.

Now that I'm settled in in my community I got the board of the HOA in my senior community, that sits on city streets. I/we work closely with the police in various capacities and have had nothing but wonderfully pleasant experiences with them in that capacity.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
a reply to: windword

My biggest thing would be to ask citizens to try and not look at law enforcement officers as a whole, as one living entity that thinks and acts the same.

Law enforcement is made up of hundreds of thousands of unique humans, some good and some bad.

I want them to know that just because there may be issues within say the Chicago Police Department, doesn't mean there are issues at another department.

This is true but yet not true, While you are individuals, you reside in a massive organization. Not equivalent to a mom and pop shop with kids working there, but a fortune 500 company. I work for a fortune 500 and we have policies and regulations that must be adhered to no matter what. When I am on the clock if I don't adhere to these policies the consequences are harsh and fast. I admit that most of my knowledge come from youtube and the cops tv show, but when I see a cop who obviously doesn't understand the law or the rights of the citizen it shocks me how they maintain employment. This is made complicated by the obscene amount of laws that are nearly impossible to memorize.

Its also a 2 way street, most citizens don't understand what their rights are or how to properly assert them, your senior year in high school needs to consist of a full year of civics, understanding your rights, and how to assert those rights with law enforcement.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

If this is news to you, google Act of 1871 and go from there.

I have no interest in unconstitutional opinions posing as law, but thanks

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Or another possible option is to invest in one of these and always wear it when out and about or traveling in you vehicle. Essentially anywhere you may have interaction with Police.

Plus pocketing a few of these may also save the day with regards to any aggressive interaction with the so called LEO.

Might not do much regarding bridging the gap between Police and public, but they might just save you life.

edit on 13-7-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I'd say provide yourself with plenty of live feed surveilence....

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

Perhaps it would be more appropriate to have used "SOME people...", instead of "MOST" people...". Sorry, had to throw a few hailstones back at'cha for raining on my parade. 😠 Or was your comment based on experience? 😕

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Stop resisting arrest and violently threatening police officers with weapons might be a good place to start

posted on Jul, 14 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   
The media is drumming up this so-called "GAP" between the public and the police to make it seem wider than what it is. The vast majority of (legal) citizens in this country are comforted by police presence in our communities.

Just two weeks ago, the big GAP was between Muslims and everyone else. There were no televised "town halls" on the News channels to discuss this Gap, that I'm aware of.
edit on 7/14/2016 by carewemust because: media is evil

posted on Jul, 23 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Hi all,

I am starting a movement to bridge the gap between those who are pledged to serve and protect, and those of the citizens. This group is focussed not only of spreading a call for peace and unity, but on acting as a liason for implementing and reforming necessary procedures to the safe and effective means of policing our country.

We are enlisting the help of Social phsychologists who understand the science and underlying torrents behind conflicts such as these, news media stations to spread our cause, social influencers such as youtubers and private news media.

We are searching for all those who can contribute, whether it be with advice, guidance, or joining our cause.

Please email me at
letschangethebattle AT gmail.com

posted on Jul, 24 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I don't think this fellow thought this through.
It seems someone ran over his yard signs that read

Male America Great Again-Support your local cop killer"
and
"A good cop is a dead cop"

When he called the police to investigate, they told him they had better things to do.
You can read about it here.
It can be found here
edit on 24-7-2016 by atrollstalker because: Just so's you'd know it was true.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join