It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Can Citizens Do To Bridge The Ever Increasing Gap Between Them And The Police?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Start an "Adopt a Cop" program.

Let people sign on to have a cop come and visit with them so they (individual or family) can talk about their lives and the cop (with our without their family) can talk about what their lives are like.

Of course it should all be on a voluntary basis but I've learned over the years when a cop has a name (John or Fred or Mary) and a family has a name (The Smiths or Johnsons) people start to view each other as people and not "them" and "us."

The solution won't come from the Feds. The solution comes from all of us "little people" (cops, iron workers, nurses, moms, dads, accountants, store clerks, crossing guards, etc etc)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   

So, you're asking, pleading, with individuals, one person at a time, to change their wide brush opinion of law enforcement in general, if that is in fact their opinion, that all cops and all districts are the same.

Pie in the sky, brother. Sorry.

I don't think people hearing about abuse problems in other parts of country is what is getting people riled up. I think that people are relating to these perceived abuses, comparing their own personal experiences with police and seeing a widespread problem within the "brotherhood", from "sea to shining sea." These problems need to be addressed from the top down. It's not the responsibility of the average citizen to start to trust and change their opinion of law enforcement and the "thin blue line", in order to repair the broken trust that this country is reaping.

With all due respect, and thank you for your service..........

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

In my state, the police vehicles no longer say "proudly serve and protect". That changed in the 90's to: "serving our community".

I have seen times in days gone by when law enforcement would help change an elderly woman's tire, who is stranded on a busy freeway. Now, they pre-ticket her and call a tow truck and drive away.

The law enforcement in many areas somehow became morphed into law "warriors" or "law soldiers", creating an atmosphere of superiority above those who pay their salaries. Even in the smallest of towns there are stories of LEOs who rarely "protect" their communities, but do indeed protect their blue bloods and their own arses.

Remember Katrina and the infamous, and tragic, bridge murders? People in their communities were literally atop their roofs, dying of thirst, or their dead body cast down on the street with no care or removal of what was once, a day before, a living being with rights to be protected...

In many ways, Katrina was one of the most divisive events between the "haves and the have nothings". Refugees were made overnight. Destitute and homeless, thousands of Americans , mostly from African American parishes, became refugees in their own country, herded like cattle by any means of authority without regard or respect.

Katrina opened my eyes to truth.

From there, I watched my country turn into a militarized police state, a practicing, honed machine with laws behind their shields; laws that shredded the rights of free Americans. From one POTUS to the next, white and black, the alphabet agencies became cohorts with the local police, sheriff, highway patrol...all forms of enforcers of law combined.

Their single purpose became all to clear. It didn't take long at all, really.

I have family members and friends who are enforcers of law. I have seen them change as months turn into years. Some love power and some just cannot wait to retire. They are good people who went into law enforcement to protect. They now have to protect themselves.

I am not against keepers of peace or officers who do serve AND protect...because they chose to care and not because they are paid to.

The answer is both simple and complex. We have to elevate those who feel repressed, helpless and targeted, to feeling protected and safe. And we have to lower the threat level to our officers while demilitarizing their uniforms and work equipment. They too need to feel safe, respected, and appreciated. How do we achieve this is way above my pay grade.

I just hope we can all shake hands and hug each other someday quite soon.

edit on 12-7-2016 by NewzNose because: added content

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Good thread.

These communities need to start getting involved and invested in their police forces.

They need to either join the auxilary police force, or outright become cops.

Their kids should be gearing towards that end, in school, summer camp, and on the street.

When there is a blur of the "them vs us" mentality and they can only make out an "US" POV, we will have what we lost over the years.

We cant have generational police families policing generational criminal families.

I always throw this out there: There should be no such thing as "cop BBQs and parties" There should be no such thing as "no cops allowed" events either.

We are all fellow citizens, thats the concept we need to drill into everyones head.

"As one"

edit on 7 12 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Got it, so it is not a two way street in your opinion.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   

so it is not a two way street in your opinion.

What two way street? I didn't see any 2 way street in your recommendation. You said that citizens need to reconsider their stereotyping of law enforcement across the board, and see officers individuals. That sounds like a one way street to me.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Going to sound crazy as #, But they could keep a gun in there car and drop the side arms completely. Arm up with none lethals. Works someplace any way.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

I guess you didn't comprehend the purpose of this thread.

There is a thread that explains what BLM thinks the police need to do to improve relations.

The purpose of my thread is to brainstorm what citizens can do to help.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Ok, I'll be the devil's advocate here. If you're driving down the street, not breaking any laws; not speeding or driving illegally or drinking or in possession of illegal substances, etc., why would the first thing you think when you look in the rearview and see a cop be "Oh sh!t" in the first place?? The cop is simply behind you, not pulling you over or doing anything whatsoever to you, and just the sight of him/her causes that reaction?

I have actually been the recipient of police brutality once; had a cop grab me so violently that he dislocated my right shoulder and left his handprint on my arm in the form of a bruise that didn't fade away for more than a month. My crime? Skinnydipping. Was I breaking the law? Yes, several of them actually. But did I deserve to be grabbed and thrown face first into the concrete for it? The judge didn't seem to think so. The cop was in the wrong, and he was held accountable for it. That incident caused me a great deal of emotional stress for a good long while. But it wasn't because of law enforcement in general. That was one cop.

I don't go about my daily life fearing everyone in law enforcement because of what happened to me, even though I have good reason to...that was the only police encounter I've ever had other than a couple of tickets in my lifetime, so it was a pretty big deal to me. But even so, I'm not even wary of them, although it would be justified. So why would a law abiding citizen in routine traffic have such a reaction to simply catching sight of a cop?

ETA: Just to clarify, I'm asking because this is something I see a lot of in comments, not singling you out personally.
edit on 310612America/ChicagoWed, 13 Jul 2016 00:06:23 -050031am31194America/Chicago by tigertatzen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
The problem is, not many are taking advantage of such things.

Ever been to these things?

Don't get me wrong, they can be made to be chummy and entertaining but if you have the wrong LEOs at them, it's more fun to go to "coffee with the base commander", or "night out with the local IRS agent".

Grant you, I'm sure it works both ways.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Well for one...... not do stuff like they did in North Carolina.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   

I guess you didn't comprehend the purpose of this thread. There is a thread that explains what BLM thinks the police need to do to improve relations. The purpose of my thread is to brainstorm what citizens can do to help.

I understand that. But asking people to change their point of view is like asking an atheist to believe. It seems to me that your asking citizens to be the first to offer an olive branch. I'm sorry but I expected more of you than pie in the sky, compared to the line points presented by BLM.

1) What can concerned parents of black/hispanic children do to protect their children from police misunderstandings?
2) What can carry permit gun owners do to protect themselves from police misunderstandings?
3) What can shop owners do to prevent crimes in the area of their business
4) Citizen security camera info and protocol .......
5) neighborhood watch..........

See where I'm going?

edit on 13-7-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Tjoran

But then the officer has no way to defend him/herself if the person they pull over has a gun themselves. Lots of cops have been murdered that way; pull someone over on the highway and get shot in the face when they approach the car window. The only way around that is to regulate guns completely, and of course that's never going to be a viable compromise in this country.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig

My biggest thing would be to ask citizens to try and not look at law enforcement officers as a whole, as one living entity that thinks and acts the same.

We've talked about this previously. And maybe Shamrock as well.

But that entire 'blue line' thing you push is in exact opposition to this. You guys make it clear that you stand together no matter what, and thus you become one solid blue entity to us.

Also the police unions push the 'one blue glob' thing like mad.

I agree, NOPD being a giant cesspool shouldn't reflect on the behavior of Lake Charles PD. But NOPD is who LCPD looks up to.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen
Lots of cops have been murdered that way; pull someone over on the highway and get shot in the face when they approach the car window.

Is that actually true, though? Not saying it doesn't happen, but does it happen 'lots'?

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Well I think one smart idea is to learn your rights so that you can confidently and professionally interact with police officers but not be taken advantage of by them. I have been taken advantage of by a police officer before because I was not aware of my rights and got tricked into letting the officer look around my house when he had no right to be in there. So knowing your rights also benefits you, as long as you learn to present them to the police in a professional manner.

If someone does this and still gets assaulted by a police officer, then I would say lets draw the line there... after that, there is no more we can do.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen
a reply to: Tjoran

But then the officer has no way to defend him/herself if the person they pull over has a gun themselves. Lots of cops have been murdered that way; pull someone over on the highway and get shot in the face when they approach the car window. The only way around that is to regulate guns completely, and of course that's never going to be a viable compromise in this country.

Having a gun wouldn't fix what you just described. If someone is going to surprise a cop by pulling a gun out while being pulled over, it's going to happen regardless. I also believe that an incapacitated person is the same thing as a dead person. Put more funding into creating more effective none-lethals (think startrek phazer set to stun pew pew lol) would also help. And it's not as if they won't have access to a firearm when they need it.
edit on 13-7-2016 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
How about showing ID when asked instead of a protest?
FACIAL EXPRESSIONS can be a trigger BE NEUTRAL like Spock,don't sneer or try to make a statement,the thing will PASS.
If you act all fidgety and suspicious its too easy to read and they CAN legally essential just arrest you for whatever.
YOU are SUPPOSED to JUST drive that is all don't start freaking out …people HAVE dies forms some twitchy ,ager issue cops who are wrong for the job.
I for instance would,'t join because I like head shots,LEOs wound.
Different reflexes.I know better.
Evidently some really have NO idea or they are sociopathic.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Many who are under societal management of the police and or any global authority view the system as corrupt in some ways.

Additionally the psyche of many humans is that if they the police have the right to "manage" them societies then they the police have to be Perfect in behavioral standards (meaning don't teach them the answer to some problems is to distribute death) in order to possess such positions to place judgment upon them societies...

Otherwise something perceived is or seems to be in error with the authorities influencing the management, directly.

When perfect is mentioned here is the understanding:
Why is it ok for some authority figures to break laws and or get minimum sentences for extreme crimes-Yet the same rules don't apply to the managed? The managed sees...

How is it possible for drugs to get around the world from international locations to make money? The managed sees, yes somewhere there are authority figures internationally getting paid? To help the process along with the elite criminals-Yet the managed are the ones said to be the law breakers, ONLY? For generations and are doing most of the time for generations AND SO FEEL ENSLAVED secretly by the elite & authorities who manage the jails, courts, and neighborhoods-Yet seem afraid to touch the top players of said game? Because they somehow KNOW there will be consequences if they attempted to... Usually the top elite criminals have elite authority connections... Ironically.
The managed know and so have lost trust.

Because to the managed the sources and causes of law issues are untouchables because they generate to much secret money...
So to actually build THAT requested bridge. Many international bridges would required burned... To establish a medium for actual society / authority coexistence w/ understanding. Or end the war?
This is not even factoring in the past when said SL.MSTR could locally authorize any one they wanted to hunt, capture and kill a SL. Legally... Being imprinted in the minds of some of the managed groups of the past descendants of today & some managers...

NAMASTE*******
edit on 7/13/16 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Respect is a 2 way street it also takes a long time to earn and a second to lose......perhaps that would be good starting point

<< 1    3  4 >>

join