It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 West Point cadets cadets in raised-fist photo won't be punished

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

I want to defend them and say that this isn't a big deal. But they knew the connotations of that symbolism.

Ultimately, it is nothing more than a tempest in a tea pot. I don't think they should be punished for what they did, but then again, I don't think poor taste in judgment should be punished.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I do not see hate. That is not why i am upset. I do not see color. That is not why I am upset. I do not see them in all actuality doing something wrong....that is not why I am upset.

The reason that this is wrong is where they go to school. Take a step back and do not make this racist. They are doing something that is against policy. If you want to sit there and say they are not doing it because of the black panthers you are simply ignorant and that is not ok. Fight the POWER! I understand and I would not have an issue if they are all out in civi's at a party celebrating.

Do you not all get that? The RULES of the school are not being enforced as not to inflame racial tension in the US. THAT in itself is a F$*%$ shame.

edit on 05pm31pmf0000002016-05-11T13:46:47-05:000147 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

West Point chose to take them at their word that it wasn't political, you are choosing not to. The only opinion that matters is West Point's. Perhaps these girls have exemplary records as cadets and that's why they're being given the benefit of the doubt.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Link to article

OK I have to drive home but will be back in a bit. Just didn't want anyone to think I had disappeared.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

What I will agree is they should have him on that statue, that is an oversight. I don't agree that picture stole anything away from him though since he was in on it. Thanks for the link tho, was a good read.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

You obviously didn't read the full original article or even all of what you linked. Norman was fully on board with what was going to happen on the podium.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

So it's 'fight the power', 'Black Panthers', anytime a black person holds up a fist?

Hooey.

Not every gesture is some BS political statement.

If it was a group of mixed race cadets holding fists at shoulder height, would they all be 'fighting the power'? It's freaking West Point. They ARE the power.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I I never said he was against it I just said it kept us from learning the true history

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Dont be a crybaby. Last year those fine cadets sent 16 of their own to hospitals after a pillow fight involving rocks and baseballs in said pillow cases. Hazing and such. It is a college afterall.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

By HIS own choice.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
a reply to: WhateverYouSay
Excuse me!?! DO NOT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH!!! You need to back TFU!

That man broke his counties national record that STILL STANDS today!!!! Did you know that??? No, because you only heard about the other two men!

I already commented on this but I'm still finding it hilarious how indignant you, and apparently many others are at this.

Please, explain to me how complaining about this guys run being overlooked is the real issue, not the fact that blacks were segregated at the time. Explain to me about how a de facto ignorance of a man's second place run is more important than the statement made about the de jure crimes being perpetrated against an entire group of people because of their skin color.

I want words, not mealy mouthed racists hiding behind giving stars.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

When White Americans have been enslaved and oppressed by Black Americans, then and only then does a White American have any damn right to be b*tching about racism, unless they're condemning the blatant racism still being fought against by black Americans today.

There is nothing wrong with that photo.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Really, because I sure remember A LOT of race baiters and MSM talking all about those who gave Trump a Nazi salute? Those were private citizens. They were saying a pledge....

and yes, when I think of a fist in the air it is militant. When I think of black militant, I think of the Panthers, old and new. This whole the old BPP never did anything wrong is bs too.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

The point is THIS has -0-all to do with ANY of that. Your notions are your own. Don't project that onto these ladies who have stepped up to do the required work to support their country.

I wish I could shake all their hands and express my admiration and gratitude.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

This thread is race baiting...

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Wow non issue. Wonder why some of you are so outraged? And compare this to KKK? LOL Wow!

It's a symbolic gesture for Black Power, which if you research it and boil it down really means...We have power too and we can do and achieve anything equally as well as anyone that is white. Lest you all forget, it was only a few decades ago that minorities gained equal rights here in the USA.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Try 50 years not a few decades. It is a big difference.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The raised fist is a symbol of unity and solidarity, meaning, anyone of any coloured skin can use it. If they or anyone else thinks the raised fist is a symbol of black power or black people, then the symbol is more a testament to their ignorance, and they are only displaying their stupidity.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Everyone should fight over racism, sexism, etc-ism.

That way I can come steal all your stuff while you argue with each other.

-Oh wait

This whole situation is fabricated. look at the half-assed, limp-wristed salutes. Some don't want it and are following a command.

operation look away from the theft and fight among yourselves

edit on 5 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Put these ladies down? Oh no, do not even try that route. I already stated this is not about anything other than the fact that the administration were able to bend the rules because of the current racial climate in the US where if a white person asks for a black crayon they are racist. Head on over to the HuffPost...they can show you ALL of them. Trust me, if it went the other way the MSM would be on fire calling WP racists so it was easier to let it pass...it happens a lot.

The point is that you are defined in your life in moments. You can do all of the things you need to right and then make a wrong decision and it all ends. It does not matter what you did before. That is what I feel happened here.

This has become a racial issue when it has not. You all know damn well that they are expressing Black Power, which, again, is fine, OUT OF UNIFORM. Then it would not even be an issue.

Also the first grad of West Point was in the late 1800's and they did not admit large numbers till 71 when admissions let in more to counter a monument that Nixon wanted. It was a real big issue. It is a good read if you never have regarding race and West Point tying into that election.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join