It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ben Carson is a Creationist

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

My definition of god is, "the consciousness that arises from the universe. It is all that exists, has and will exist as well and everything that doesn't exist, didn't and won't exist. The universe itself is god, and we are all part of god."

Would that not make you a Deist, like myself, believing that all matter has spirit (sort of like soul)?

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Perhaps. I'm really not very good with labels.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Well I think it depends on if you think there is a creator to be considered a deist no?

Like you believe something set what we see in motion but since then hands off approach.

Myself I am a caught in the middle of agnostic and deist I think.

I don't think there was a creator, but I wouldn't say there definitely wasn't.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Darwin's "observations"? As opposed to?.. Other's "observations"?..okay, Really? Darwin answered every question, you could ever have? At least Einstein, "regreted" not knowing "anything". I'd bet, Darwin died, before a "Doctor" spanked your butt.
edit on 31-10-2015 by murphy22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
OP Quote: "The PROBLEM here, is that "creationism" is an ignorant mindset. We can NOT have a president who thinks it is true! We just can't!! That takes us to the level of ISIS - does no one else realize that?"

Really we can't? So we have been on the level of ISIS for over 200 years i guess right? To align yourself with Christianity is to align yourself with the biblical creation account, whether or not how that is interpreted is widely discussed among christian theologians but, in no way shape or form is that a bases for disqualification of the presidency in this country.
40 out of 43 US Presidents were denominational christians.

11 episcopalian
8 presbyterians
4 baptist
4 methodist
4 unitarian
2 disciples of christ
2 dutch reformed
2 quaker
1 catholic
1 congregationalist
1 united church of Christ

source: www.pewforum.org...

If you have a problem with creationism, then you have a problem with Christianity. Your reasoning in this discussion that we are on the level of ISIS is based on the assumption that just because your religious makes you a murderous child torturing woman raping heathen blood fuming terrorist. You are devoid of any rational thinking on this matter and are only bent on your anti christian prejudices. Christianity is a peaceful religion. Our country is the most prosperous Country in the world because of our christianity, only in recent times have we failed in this because we have taken God out of this country by removing him from schools and establishing darwinism as our state religion and have moved against our freedom of religion to remove those who pray in public. We have become a secular society which belittles christians and makes them nonsensical idiots. I am appalled by your reason and logic to compare core christian beliefs to fanatical islam and I demand an apology. If you have a problem with these ideals you have a fundamental problem with America and Christianity. Here are some other things you might have a problem with

Declaration of Independance

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

pledge of allegience

One Nation, Under God

Our Currency

In God we Trust

edit on 31-10-2015 by keeperofkheb because: edit.....

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I believe in a "creation". So? OP. What's your point? I've lead Soldiers in war. Tell me? Was I a "bad" leader? Because of my faith? Your unbelieving "hero", put me and my troops, there. Tell you what?..Work your meaningless job, stuff your face and stop worrying about those you hate. Be happy they put themselves in harms way to save your "educated" backside. Let Americans handle your freedom. It's obvious, you'd be in serious trouble, without people, with principled beliefs.
edit on 31-10-2015 by murphy22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-10-2015 by murphy22 because: Because of grammer NAZIS. They're so educated they can't see the point of the script.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
We understand he's a brilliant Neurosurgeon, and understands and believes in the science of medicine but, does he believe in evolution or astronomy and geology.

And the science of evolution, astronomy and geology are pretty critical in the day to day duties of the POTUS as everyone is keenly aware...

*Do not plan on casting a vote for Carson or broadly agree with his theology (probably, I haven't really researched his personal theology bc I don't give a ... hoot)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: keeperofkheb

If you have a problem with creationism, then you have a problem with Christianity.

There's a difference between "Intelligent Design" theory and "6 days, Young Earth Creationism." Even the Pope agrees that evolution is a scientific reality.

NATIONAL NEWS
Pope: Creation, evolution beliefs can co-exist

Do you believe Jonah lived in the belly of a big fish for 3 days? Noah's Ark and all the animals? The Tower of Babel?

There's lots of things in the Bible that not all Christians take literally, but see more as allegoric.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
He also thinks "magic beans" from Mannatech helped his prostate cancer. Here he is in 2004 speaking for Mannatech:

Carson claims he's been paid to speak for all kinds of people, so this isn't a big deal...but he's had a long relationship with Mannatech (which he denied during the last debate):

Carson speaking at a Mannatech event. In the video, he credited the company's products for his prostate cancer diagnosis symptoms disappearing. The paper points out that Carson is now "cancer-free after surgery."

The WSJ reports Carson has appeared in videos that were on Mannatech's website until earlier this month. The videos were removed soon after the Journal's reporting. The paper also reported that Carson gave four paid speeches at company events; the most recent was in 2013 for which Carson was paid $42,000.

Carson's campaign manager, Barry Bennett, told the WSJ Carson is a "believer in vitamins and supplements."

Why's that such a big deal? Well, Mannatech has been sued for making false claims:

In 2009, Mannatech settled for $7 million following a lawsuit brought by the Texas attorney general over the company's claims that its products could cure cancer and autism.

CNN

Mannatech is a maker of these supplements that fit quite nicely with Carson's Seventh-Day Adventist vegetarian-promoted diet, so it's not surprising he'd advocate for the company.

Personally, I don't want someone who believes magical vegetarian supplements cure prostate cancer as my president. His religious beliefs, mixed with his desire for money got him involved with a scammy pyramid scheme company. I wouldn't want someone who believes in e-meters to run the country either.

I also don't want a POTUS that is quick to lie. We know all politicians lie, and we harp on Hillary all the time for lying (among other things) -- Carson is flat out lying to our faces about his involvement with this pyramid scheme company.

Basically what Carson is saying:
"I'm not associated with them. I just did commercials, gave some speeches, was on their website, and take the products".

I want to throw up the Jackie Chan meme. What? How can you stand there on stage and lie to us like that? How can your supporters just say, "oh that's OK if he's bold face lying..." I mean, at least when Hillary is accused of lying it's usually because she omitted parts of the truth...

So when we say that his belief in creationism isn't a big deal, I don't buy it. He's allowed his religious beliefs to bleed into other areas, becoming associated with a scam company. I wonder besides creationism and vegetarian supplements curing cancer he believes...?
edit on 31-10-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Yes the founders were DEIST

pledge of allegience

One Nation, Under God

Our Currency

In God we Trust

Take a look when those were added.
The pledge was during the red scare and so was when it was added to paper currency.

Fundamental Christians are not peaceful, sorry to tell you that. Nothing about the OT is peaceful either.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Isn't he polling higher than Frump currently?

I honestly don't get Republicans sometimes. They had a strong founding and the last decades they have become like the banner carriers for evangelical extremists and narcissists.

I wish there was serious contenders able to debate serious issues. The country needs people who take the job of governing seriously, not using the presidency as an outlet for preaching or vanity.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

pledge of allegience

One Nation, Under God

Our Currency

In God we Trust

The pledge was during the red scare and so was when it was added to paper currency.

Fundamental Christians are not peaceful, sorry to tell you that. Nothing about the OT is peaceful either.
en.wikipedia.org...

when was this added?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights.

appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions

It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor.”
– George Washington

We have this day [Fourth of July] restored the Sovereign to whom all men ought to be obedient. He reigns in Heaven, and from the rising to the setting of the sun, let His Kingdom come.
– Samuel Adams

“The United States in Congress assembled … recommend this edition of the Bible to the inhabitants of the United States … a neat edition of the Holy Scriptures for the use of schools.”
– United States Congress 1782

The Declaration of Independence laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity.
– John Adams

Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is their duty – as well as privilege and interest – of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.
– John Jay (first Chief Justic of US Supreme Court)

“The only foundation for . . . a republic is to be laid in Religion. Without this there can be no virtue, and without virtue there can be no liberty, and liberty is the object and life of all republican governments.”
– Benjamin Rush Signer of Declaration of Independance

God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that His justice cannot sleep forever.
– Thomas Jefferson, Jefferson Memorial

“[The Bible] is the rock on which our Republic rests.”

– Andrew Jackson

n regards to this great Book [the Bible], I have but to say it is the best gift God has given to man. All the good the Savior gave to the world was communicated through this Book. But for it we could not know right from wrong. All things most desirable for man’s welfare, here and hereafter, are found portrayed in it.
– Abraham Lincoln

And whereas it is the duty of nations as well as of men, to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God … and to recognize the sublime truth, announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those nations only are blessed whose God is the Lord.
– Abraham Lincoln

“The fundamental basis of this Nation’s law was given to Moses on the Mount. The fundamental basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teachings which we get from Exodus and St. Matthew, from Isaiah and St. Paul.”
– Harry S. Truman

“This Nation was established by men who believed in God. … You will see the evidence of this deep religious faith on every hand.’
– Harry S. Truman

“Without God there could be no American form of government, nor an American way of life. Recognition of the Supreme Being is the first, the most basic, expression of Americanism. Thus, the founding fathers of America saw it, and thus with God’s help, it will continue to be.”
– Dwight D. Eisenhower

and finally....

The Bible and its teachings helped form the basis for the Founding Fathers’ abiding belief in the inalienable rights of the individual, rights which they found implicit in the Bible’s teachings of the inherent worth and dignity of each individual. This same sense of man patterned the convictions of those who framed the English system of law inherited by our own Nation, as well as the ideals set forth in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.
– Ronald Reagan

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

pledge of allegience

One Nation, Under God

Our Currency

In God we Trust

en.wikipedia.org...

I know of no more fundamentalist Christians than the Amish and the Mennonites. Their communities are not torn by violence. Our community is a better place to live with them as neighbors.

Could you please explain which fundamentalist Christian sect is waging actual war?
If fundamentalist Christians were as warlike as you assert our county would be a mass of graves.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: NihilistSanta

Saying it doesn't make it so. In your opinion then morality/ethics are subjective?

Can you provide an example of "absolute morality"?

Then why do you even care?

Because I can. This is my country too, and I care very much about who our next President is and if what he/she stands for aligns with my vision for our future.

In my opinion Carson panders to the lowest elements of religious rhetoric and promotes superstition, division and fear.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

originally posted by: amazing
We understand he's a brilliant Neurosurgeon, and understands and believes in the science of medicine but, does he believe in evolution or astronomy and geology.

And the science of evolution, astronomy and geology are pretty critical in the day to day duties of the POTUS as everyone is keenly aware...

*Do not plan on casting a vote for Carson or broadly agree with his theology (probably, I haven't really researched his personal theology bc I don't give a ... hoot)

It's pretty clear he's not a big fan of climate science either and believes that GOD will save us before it gets too bad, because...bible. So it's a little scary, my fear is that he will put us backwards on pollution controls, environmental science, NASA funding, Mars Missions, He's going to set us back scientifically behind other countries and we're going to lose scholars, tech stars and companies and our edge on the economy to countries that embrace science and technology. it's a pretty big deal and it impacts all of us directly in many ways. We desperately need a president that embraces science for our planet as well as our economy and military edge.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt

pledge of allegience

One Nation, Under God

Our Currency

In God we Trust

en.wikipedia.org...

I know of no more fundamentalist Christians than the Amish and the Mennonites. Their communities are not torn by violence. Our community is a better place to live with them as neighbors.

Could you please explain which fundamentalist Christian sect is waging actual war?
If fundamentalist Christians were as warlike as you assert our county would be a mass of graves.

Are you familiar with these Christians?

www.jewsonfirst.org...

If Dr. Carson is a Dominionist....I don't trust him!

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Do the amish and mennonites take the OT as a literal interpretation?

And I am not saying ALL Christians are fundies, just that they have just as violent element as any other religion.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Where are the reports of the numbers of non-Christians killed/harmed by that group of people. Are news reports available of their violence toward non-Christians? You do realize that political disagreements are not recognized as "violence"?
I don't trust Dr. Carson either, wouldn't vote for him but it has nothing to do with the Christian faith but with his political affiliation with one side of the two-winged party beast.
You're going to have a hard time finding a Republican or Democrat for which to vote if you're looking for a non-believer in that bunch because they all profess some degree of faith.
It is the Christians like Mr. Obama---the ones who send drones to indiscriminately kill people that frighten me---not those who believe that immoral people will wind up in hell fire for their misdeeds.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
It is the Christians like Mr. Obama---the ones who send drones to indiscriminately kill people that frighten me---not those who believe that immoral people will wind up in hell fire for their misdeeds.

Does this mean you prefer Christians like Mr Bush, that invade other countries and kill hundreds of thousands, even millions of people in a more particular fashion?

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

a reply to: diggindirt

Do the amish and mennonites take the OT as a literal interpretation?

And I am not saying ALL Christians are fundies, just that they have just as violent element as any other religion.

You know, I've never quizzed them on their religious beliefs. I just know that they are good neighbors and good citizens of the community. Their specific beliefs are of little consequence to me.

You do realize do you not, that all religions and all non-believers have their "violent element" as they are part of some society and there does not exist a society without that element?

So could you show me which US Christian group is out making war on non-Christians? Which ones should cause me to be in fear of my life because I don't share their religious philosophy? I'm out there in the community on a regular basis working with these people, mostly Christians, to find solutions to our everyday problems---like insufficient food, health care and housing. I find that their goals are much the same as mine, to help those who are in need. I've never been told to ask if the recipients of our support are religious. Perhaps if some people posting here actually got out into their communities and interacted with folks, they might have a different view than the one they get from behind the keyboard.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join