It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas gives planned parenthood the middle finger.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
link

AUSTIN, Texas — Texas announced Monday that it was cutting off Medicaid money to Planned Parenthood clinics following undercover videos of officials discussing fetal tissue, potentially triggering a legal fight like the one unfolding in neighboring Louisiana.

Planned Parenthood affiliates statewide were told in a letter that their enrollment in the joint state-federal Medicaid program was in the process of being terminated because they were potentially “liable, directly or by affiliation, for a series of serious Medicaid program violations.”

“Your termination and that of all your affiliates will not affect access to care in this state because there are thousands of alternate providers in Texas, including federally qualified health centers, Medicaid-certified rural health clinics, and other health care providers across the state that participate in the Texas Women’s Health Program and Medicaid,” the letter said.

"The State has determined that you and your Planned Parenthood affiliates are no longer capable of performing medical services in a professionally competent, safe, legal, and ethical manner," the letter said.

Oh, lord here we go. Texas is defunding planned parenthood on the grounds of those famous/flawed video's. I personally do not agree with this decision, i think that abortion is baby killing, and personally would not be with a woman if she believed in abortion. However it is the law of the land, and abortions will happen regardless of legality, and that since that is the case they need to be done safely. This is kind of insane i wonder what the back lash is going to be.
edit on 19-10-2015 by TechniXcality because: lost my first text

edit on 19-10-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
changed, all good now

edit on 19-10-2015 by Autorico because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
Umm, what does this have to do with PP?

Well Commander Data it seems that the OP has forgotten his data...that would be the logical deduction.

EDIT; Great, now the data appears.

Well done Texas. Nefarious stuff like this will only destroy you. There are many other useless nonsense directives to stick the middle finger up to, too.
edit on 19-10-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Lol ya it's all good now.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I respect my state for taking hard stands against the grain for what it's people generally believe in, I truly do. However I don't think defunding planned parenthood is a good idea, it caters directly to low income families and I almost feel this is just a political # you then anything and not a true stand against abortion. Sometimes I just shake my head at the state of affairs.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

And a Jeffers morning to you, Planned Parenthood.

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
if a woman dies from a botched back-alley abortion, i think her family should sue Texas in federal court for all the money they can get...get these religious wackos out of the Texas state government, send them to Saudi-Arabia...at least there they can walk lock-step with the Muslim religious nuts

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

I respect my state for taking hard stands against the grain for what it's people generally believe in, I truly do. However I don't think defunding planned parenthood is a good idea, it caters directly to low income families and I almost feel this is just a political # you then anything and not a true stand against abortion. Sometimes I just shake my head at the state of affairs.

there already was a "true stand against abortion", it happened in the 70's, and women got the right to have one.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Did you not read anything I wrote and just respond to be contrary?We agree it is the law of the land period end of story, much like the right to bare arms.
edit on 19-10-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Texas does this, but they legally still have drive-thru liquor stores....yeah, that's the way to protect life...(rolls eyes)

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Did you not read anything I wrote and just respond to be contrary?We agree it is the law of the land period end of story, much like the right to bare arms.

your implication is that you are against abortion, even though it is legal, but you accept the law that makes it so, and therefore Planned parenthood (in your mind) is a necessary evil....yeah, i get your drift.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

if a woman dies from a botched back-alley abortion,

Then it is her fault because nobody forces anyone to get one and if it was a true emergency then go to a regular hospital.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I saw this article this morning on MSNBC. It's a good read.

Shuttered: The End of Abortion Access in Red America

In New York, he wasn’t required to give women a medically unnecessary sonogram, or describe to them the embryonic or fetal development, or make them listen to the fetal heartbeat. They weren’t required to wait 24 hours after counseling for the procedure, as women in Texas must. New Yorkers can use state Medicaid money to cover the cost of the abortion and get birth control the same day. Texans — whose governor refused the Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act and whose laws prohibit even covering birth control at an abortion clinic, let alone paying for an abortion — cannot. The patients Kumar saw in New York rarely had to drive hundreds of miles to receive care, as Texas women increasingly do.

You know, for a state that is supposed to be red, and red meaning conservative thus LESS government intervention, Texas REALLY likes to create more and more government intervention for abortion...

The article I linked is rather long, but I suggest reading it. It's very informative.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Then it is her fault because nobody forces anyone to get one and if it was a true emergency then go to a regular hospital.

A woman shouldn't have to be pushed into such a decision in a country where abortion is legal.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

A woman shouldn't be pushed to use a hospital in an emergency situation?

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

A woman shouldn't have to be pushed into such a decision in a country where abortion is legal.

Right! So obviously, the only definitive answer is for the rest of the States to vote Texas out of the so-called "Union"!

That'll show the backwards, knuckle dragging fundamentalist Texas crazies!

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   

A woman shouldn't be pushed to use a hospital in an emergency situation?

Abortions aren't hospital procedures.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Why would that be necessary? There are plenty of less drastic ways to get Texas to follow the federal laws.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

In a life and death situation they would but for no reason other then I don't want it well that's her problem no one else's.

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
But abortion is such a small part of it. The real value of planned parenthood is pregnancy testing, pregnancy care, ultrasounds, STD testing and treatment, Birth control. It's where you go when you have no where else to turn and when you can't afford healthcare.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join