It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen suspect who died after Roswell police chase was heart recipient...makes me sick.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scouse100

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

How can you possibly know his race didn't come into the judgement? Are you saying this doesn't happen?

I don't see how the photos you have posted are relevent, either it is OK to form judgements based on stereotypes or it is not. Surely the point is that even if some people do turn out to fit a certain stereotype, we can't assume that they will?

Because without race being brought in, he was initially not put on the list. He had a history of interaction with the police and was, at the time of asking to be put on the list, wearing a police monitored ankle bracelet because of a crime. Hospitals take the list very seriously and like to make sure the person getting it will not waste it. The family was told this.....and they decided to pull the race card to force them to change their mind.

So, if you are claiming race was part of it, then I guess there should ONLY be white recipients of hearts from the list? I will do some digging to see if there are any figures on that, but am 99% sure there have been all races that received transplants.

No, I am saying you can't be sure either way.

Are you saying they didn't know he was black when they made the initial decision about putting him on the list?

Your last paragraph is daft! Of course there will be black recipients from the list. This doesn't mean that race did not figure in this particular decision.

Of course they knew he was black.....he was at the hospital for a while before he finally got on the list.

Daft? No daft would be someone saying that race was involved even when he shouldn't have qualified on paper without ever meeting him. He was already a career criminal at 15, but yeah...had to be race.

I won't say it again, but nowhere have I said it was race. I just don't see how we can be so certain it did not play a part.

What are the criteria for qualifying, are there specific guidelines available for us to look at?

No idea on criteria, though I would think it safe to assume if you have a criminal history and regularly skip school you have a much higher chance of not being accepted since you have a strict refining to follow post procedure....taking meds on time and being responsible and all....kind of hard to do when you're out tugging with guns and smoking weed all the time and posting it all up on social media for everyone to see....

But hey...maybe it's just me who think those are disqualifiers....

So you see what I am getting at surely? There are no specific criteria or at least we don't know what they are, so how the hell do we know that race was not a factor in this apparent judgement of character they have had to make?

Sorry...I am assuming everyone here is using logic and that race is not on their checklist of things to consider. There have been black heart transplant recipients, so race is not on the checklist.

And it was precisely that...a judgement of character. His sucked. They made the right decision and we're forced to change it.

Of course race is not on the checklist. You said on paper he would have been rejected (regardless of race) so I was hoping you could back that up with more than just your own opinion of what should disqualify someone. If you can't then your statement proves nothing.

? He WAS rejected on paper....hence why the family decided to pull the race card and force the hospital to allow him on the list.

Is there some reason you think he was a good candidate or have you found something that shows race was a deciding factor for the hospital the first time around? If not, then your argument doesn't add anything to the discussion....it is simply your opinion.

Everything I have said has numerous articles on it online. This was a national story.

Sorry, worded that wrong (it's getting late here!), yes he WAS rejected on paper but you have already agreed they knew his race at that point so you can't know whether it was a factor.

And it is your opinion that they played 'the race card' (race card meaning to falsely accuse someone of racism to gain an advantage). You state and maintain that they 'played the race card' like it is a fact so yes I think what I am saying is relevant to the thread.

Don't want to clog the thread any further with this line of thought as I feel I am just repeating myself now.

On another note, I don't think his character should have played any part in the decision anyway, it's not for Drs to decide who gets to live and who gets to die. I feel like I have been arguing the wrong point but once I start that's it!!

There is no evidence of them being racist. Other blacks received transplants prior to him. And they did claim it was racial to get him in....it is very clear if you research the older articles.

Character should definitely play a role in it. If you have limited hearts to give you want to give them to the people that are likely to treat that gift with respect.

(post by AdamuBureido removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=19188153]AdamuBureido[/post

Never mind. Now that the name calling is in full force, I'm out
edit on 1-4-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I'm kind of conflicted on this. Obviously I see the waste of life here. I know donor lists can be rather competitive, I watched an uncle not get a liver transplant for example because he liked to drink (the cause of his liver failure even) but I would also like to know what the statistics are on others who are under questionable status when they get a life saving organ that turn out fine.

Either way, I'm not happy in how this story ended but from this kids point of view I don't think there was a happy ending for him regardless of what happened.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

changed your post after discovering your keyboard in your mouth?
FLEE f'r them thar hills boy!

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

And just think:

Had this kid taken his heart transplant seriously, turned his life around, and stopped living a life of thuggery... you wouldn't have been able to make this thread patting yourself on the back and saying "See ?! I told you so !"

Yay for you !

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
One second guys! This "kid" had the transplant at 15 years old and died last Thursday at 17. He was a minor when he had the transplant and a minor when he died.

That puts this whole thread into a different perceptive. He was a kid and this thread is abhorrent! How disgusting are some members saying it was ok to deny a "child" a heart transplant.

Just wish I read the source sooner!

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdamuBureido

originally posted by: Shamrock6

changed your post after discovering your keyboard in your mouth?
FLEE f'r them thar hills boy!

Aww I knew you'd have to say something.

But no, I had initially posted that his family were actually the ones to put his legal troubles in the spotlight. It was their claim that the hospital denied the transplant due to his school issues and legal troubles.

Then I remembered facts don't account for much with people like you.

Boy.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco
One second guys! This "kid" had the transplant at 15 years old and died last Thursday at 17. He was a minor when he had the transplant and a minor when he died.

That puts this whole thread into a different perceptive. He was a kid and this thread is abhorrent! How disgusting are some members saying it was ok to deny a "child" a heart transplant.

Just wish I read the source sooner!

LOL...wow. so you didn't even read the OP and were commenting. Good to know that you don't care to know about what you are posting on.
edit on 4/1/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I read your OP and got the jist, I assumed the lad was 17 when he had his transplant. I then read your source and realised that this whole thread was based on a "15 year old child" being refused a heart transplant and how some members believe this was acceptable.

A child..... It's a disgrace to ATS that this thread exists and as such I'm outta here!

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
***ATTENTION***

Knock off the name calling and sniping immediately. If it doesn't stop, you will be facing up and and including a loss of posting privileges.

Do not reply to this message.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AdamuBureido

Cute...do you always use wiki for your research?

Thug life was started by white execs? I think there are quite a few black owners of studios and black producers that would strongly disagree with your statement.

I still have vinyls from the 80's that were from black owned studios and black producers that were highly influential that preach thug life....well before whitey was involved in them.

So...whitey is responsible for all thuggery now....brilliant argument.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco

I read your OP and got the jist, I assumed the lad was 17 when he had his transplant. I then read your source and realised that this whole thread was based on a "15 year old child" being refused a heart transplant and how some members believe this was acceptable.

A child..... It's a disgrace to ATS that this thread exists and as such I'm outta here!

Oh, so the fact he was a criminal at 15 makes no difference just because he was 15? That makes no sense at all. He continued his criminal way until he died.

(post by AdamuBureido removed for a manners violation)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I can see that nothing is going to stop this.

Thread Closed for review.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join