It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents investigated for neglect after letting kids walk home alone

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: wilhelmina

thanks for another great point. Children aren't even sacred in the church.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: shaneslaughta
a reply to: kosmicjack

Thanks jack, i mm glad i not the only one who has a shred of morals, decency and compassion for the children.

It is not quite fair to assume that because people disagree with you that it means they have no morles,decency or compassion for children.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: WCmutant
2 miles is a far walk for a 6 year old. That being said, it's up to the parents to determine what their children can or cannot do. If we didn't trust them, then why allow them to have kids in the first place?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

originally posted by: shaneslaughta
a reply to: kosmicjack

Thanks jack, i mm glad i not the only one who has a shred of morals, decency and compassion for the children.

It is not quite fair to assume that because people disagree with you that it means they have no morles,decency or compassion for children.

I agree with this too. There's a myriad of sociological, economical and cultural reasons our kids are at risk.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

I understand, i guess it was a bad way to go about it. I have some serious issues with explaining things to people, but its perfect in my head.

I guess what i was getting at was that if your letting your 6 year old run loose you are a flipping nut job. Even with a ten year old, they dont know everything about the world. Its just not safe no matter what you feel about your neighborhood.

That old saying snip happens. Then you gotta live with your choices.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I walked back and forth to school almost every day of my life starting with kindergarten. My school was over five blocks away for elementary and then clear across town for junior high.

Heaven forbid that CPS actually do its job and protect children like the poor little 5-year-old they knew lived with an abusive father and meth-head mother. I mean they only knew about that situation for a couple years until the father finally chucked the little girl to her death off a bridge.

Nope. It's far more important for the state to stop those evil parents who insist on letting their kids walk home, play outside or decide they want a second opinion from a different doctor.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You can blame that on the laws that protect property. What goes on inside the house is no business to the rest of the world. Private Property investigations search warrants, i don't know how else to explain that.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I walk home from school alone in kindergarten (my brother would walk with me to school he was only three years older than I and I lived on the main street of my city! After school, we would sometimes walk to the park or to the library or just roam the stores (used to play house at one store with all the fake food that they had decorating the inside of the refrigerators.

in the fourth grade I was walking to and from school without parental supervision and it was over a mile. It was expected of me!! the city didn't provide buses for us (there was too few in my area that were over the one mile limit to justify a bus run and my mom didn't have a car)

Things were different back then. The whole danged area that I was allowed to roam in (a rather large area) knew who I was and who my parents were and didn't have any misgivings about calling my mom if they saw something that they thought she should be alerted to! The parents watched out for each other!!! By the time I had kids well if you went to have a chat about the behavior of someone's kids with them you'd be just as likely to get your head bit off!

It's a shame really because I think this couple is right! Kids need the experience of not being under someone's watchful eye 24/7 to mature. otherwise they will just accept the dos and don'ts because they is someone watching them and telling them what to do and not do they will not learn the why till they are let loose and can really do some damage! It's not up to the adults to watch over their kids 24/7 it's up to the adults to provide a safe area where their kids and explore and experiment some on their own.

(post by redhorse removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

Not what i meant. Just hat if you let your kids wander and something happens then is you that has to live with it.

In any event.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Had to walk to school from K to 7th grade.

In 8th grade, I was living in Bangkok, Thailand the the school was just too far to walk, so I had to ride the bus. Same thing with 10th - 12th grade when I lived in Naples, Italy.

My oldest kids walked to school, several blocks away. they are 29, 27 and 25 now. The oldest has her own two kids.

They rode their bikes everywhere, no fear from our neighborhood at all.

My youngest son, who just turned 12 has spent those 12 years growing up in the country. He walks, a LOT. He takes his knife with him when he's alone, and when he's with me, we both have a side arm.

Not because I'm worried about some creep trying to harm him but because of the wild life we have out here.

My sister in law has two kids that she has basically brought up "in bubble wrap". Neither of them have an easy time making choices. They spend most of their time worried that they are going to be in trouble if their mom doesn't know where they are, and on top of it: they are afraid to go anywhere or do anything.

My 12 year old is going camping with his fellow Boy Scouts this weekend.

He'll be helping cook his own food, starting fires, chopping wood for that fire. Making sure he stays warm and using the buddy system with his fellow scouts.

Those of us that do give our children freedom: stop calling us morons or idiots. I won't call those of you who bubble wrap their children up that. I will instead acknowledge your parenting decisions, even if I disagree with them.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

Have you considered teaching your children to not go with strangers? How to kick a dude in the balls?

You state, "If you cant take care of your kids, you don't effing deserve them."

You keep your children with you 100% of the time, then? They have never ONCE left your sight? You never leave them with a family member, a friend (most abuse is form someone the family knows)?
Because it's impossible to keep them 100% safe, just likes its impossible to keep YOURSELF 100% safe. Better to teach them, and yourselves, how to defend against the crazies, and maybe move to an area you DO feel safe with your kids.

I mean you can drop them off the classroom every day but someone could still abuse them, you can homeschool and homestead with no outside contact whatsoever, but then a bear could attack them! I suppose if you keep them in a cage in the basement forever you MIGHT have a chance of them being unharmed....doesn't sound like a childhood though.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Erik i have already made a public apology for my actions. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
If we must keep banging on me for it fine i accept that. But it just looks petty that your doing it after i apologized.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I can still remember the day I was 1st allowed to walk to school alone.
in my 2nd year of school (5-6 yo) I used to watch the big kids walk by themselves and asked Mum why I couldnt go alone, Mum didnt think it was safe, it was only about 600 mtrs but around 3 corners, so the 2nd time I asked Mum organised with the big kids for me to walk with 1 of them.
It was a cute older girl (12 yo) and 1 of her friends (not so cute) I had never been more enthusiastic about getting up for school knowing that after brushing my teeth, having brekky and getting dressed I would get to hold this angels hand for that 600 mtrs of pure bliss to the school gate. Then one day on the way home her BF (some older potential wife stealing bastard) walked home with us and held her hand on the other side, I was crushed and then angry so I thought "Ill show that 2 timing hussy whats what!!"

I told Mum that I was ready, I was old enough and big enough to make the walk on my own, she was reluctant at first and said she would have to talk to Amy (the 2 timing hobag) so she wouldnt be upset. That morning was the last time I walked with Amy and I made a point of not holding her hand just to let her know I was pissed and it was over between us. She gave me some praise about how I was getting big and asked if I was sure I could go by myself, obviously she was upset and was trying to get me to keep walking with her but I stuck to my guns.

The next morning I was ready and if possible even more excited about walking alone than I used to be about walking with that cheating cow. I got ready extra quick but Mum made me wait 10 min telling me she was busy and I had to wait as she wanted to walk me to the gate.
So when we finally got to the gate Mum gave me a kiss and told me to be careful and I set off, wouldnt you know it but the Jezebel was about 20 away from my place when I walked out, I wasnt gonna wait for her, I had to let her know she had ruined something wonderful and I deserved better. So I set off double time and I can still remember the feeling of pride and freedom I felt, I was one of the big kids!!! I have earned trust and respect and people believed I was capable. I walked on air to school that day.

Every day after that when I was walking out my door the stalking harlot was always behind me, she was most likely getting up a bit early and hanging out down the street waiting for me to walk out hoping I would walk with her but I wasnt ready to forgive her and I made a point of ignoring her hoping she felt as bad as I did on that day she showed her true colors with Justin (the potential wife stealer)

After a couple months I found forgiveness in my heart and one day relented, she had learned her lesson I felt and she didnt deserve me being so nasty and cold, I waited for her and asked if she wanted me to walk with her.
The relief and happiness she felt was palpable, we didnt hold hands coz I wasnt ready to forgive that much or let her think that I was willing to take her back but we walked as friends and even equals, I was really a big kid now, I was walking to school all alone with another big kid who was alone and we were talking about big kid stuff, I was freakin AWESOME!!!!!

I think every kid deserves that same feeling I got when I walked to school by myself that first time, OK maybe not the seething hate part but the feeling of responsibility and independence. Its truly sad that someone and not even the parents is trying to take that away from these kids.

Im not gonna read the article as it will just make me sick, I just wanted to say thanks for bringing back an awesome memory I had forgotten all about, I can truly remember how I felt and its put me in a great mood
S&F for the feeling and memory this gave me, not for the article.

NOTE: the above is exactly what happened and how I felt just using grown up words LOL
I can actually remember thinking there was a good chance that girl was gonna be my wife haha.
And it turned out she wasnt stalking me, Mum was paying her $2 a week to keep an eye on me and I had to wait everyday to leave not coz Mum was busy but because she was waiting till she saw Amy coming down the street out of the kitchen window.
Seriously what chance do I have with women in my life, My mother spent my formative years lying to me and my 1st love was only in it for my families money, looking back my recent lady troubles are starting to make alot of sense

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Personally, I feel CPS overstepped it's bounds in this case. The parents made what they felt was a reasonable decision, and if anything, if CPS had a concern, they should have just talked to the parents and found out why they made this decision.

These parents are not simple minded individuals. From the link in the OP:

Danielle is a climate-science consultant, and Alexander is a physicist at the National Institutes of Health.

If one reads the entire article, you will see that not only did CPS make the parents sign a form promising not to leave their children unsupervised, they also interviewed the children at school, without their parents knowledge. They later came to their house and wanted to search the house for other signs of neglect.

Over reach of their authority. There is also a link to another related story, which gives a different perspective, which I urge some to read.

Wh y are we criminalizing childhood independence?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Wow this thread is quite full of spiritual stories that lay beyond what we are reading. I often get strong empathic underlaying visions from such.

I get that in the area they are there is no real day to day threat to warrent calling them bad parents for this but at the time this went down there was a threat of a male in the area with bad intentions. It comes to me as if he was wanted by the law for such and the cps people wer brought into the picture by higher powers to keep them kids safe from a specific danger that day. This would all be a different story if not for the disconnect between this world and the next. I think the real danger we face is too let one incident like this change the way we live and strart making rules that cover everyone at all time when the truth is we need to trust in God and still have ways of him interviening without changing everything or nailing anyone to the cross for a special occasion as this. That is just the impression that i get.

@kosmicjack
Your post about the neighbors kids hit me hard too. Again take it or leave it is just the impression i get. I seen another time and place where yall were all very close and a type of family unit. I see what today you call parental neglect as their spirits just allowing you guys to share some quality time together in this life. They will always remember it and you shouls keep up with them.

@shaneslaughta
you will do well. you may need to turn down the heat every now and then. I was extremely nervous when my boys came. So much that i worried myself into a frenzy panicing about all the dangers and how i would never be a good enough parent. Only when someone pointed out that a bad parent would not worry about there children ever was i able to find the right balance so they could go out and explore the world without me.
edit on 15-1-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: shaneslaughta

I think you missed the point.

Both parents were in the system. It was known that the father was abusive to both mother and daughter and that the mother was a meth head. CPS knew this. This is supposed to be what they are for, and they did nothing about it.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I let my kids walk to elementary school, after grade two, about that distance unless the weather was bad or it was dark. Sometimes they were up to an hour late because they'd get distracted and play.

We live in a very small town and I only ever watched to see how they crossed the highway, so I could give them advice. They are not sheltered but you can bet in a small town we all tell each other what our kids were up to. I may not be a great parent because of this but I think every moment of freedom and trust builds strong individuals and I have no concerns about mine. Not that I didn't worry.

I see now there were concerns about the parents in the news story.
edit on 15-1-2015 by igloo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Thanks for the giggle, that was a great memory

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join