It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The myth of race: Why are we divided by race when there is no such thing?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

I think Klingon is appropo for me.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Qapla'

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

And also with you...

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

We do have RACISM, not RACE, because it's perpetuated culturally by the media and us.

Hostility towards those physically and culturally different from us is universal among human beings. In hunter-gatherer societies, it is much worse than in agrarian ones — an encounter between members of different tribes almost always ends in death.

Everybody is a racist. It is ingrained in us, part of our natural behaviour. The trick is to recognize this, realize why it exists (and why it is now an irrelevant and dangerous trait) and transcend it.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

We do have RACISM, not RACE, because it's perpetuated culturally by the media and us.

Hostility towards those physically and culturally different from us is universal among human beings. In hunter-gatherer societies, it is much worse than in agrarian ones — an encounter between members of different tribes almost always ends in death.

Everybody is a racist. It is ingrained in us, part of our natural behaviour. The trick is to recognize this, realize why it exists (and why it is now an irrelevant and dangerous trait) and transcend it.

Im glad we have found a point of agreement.
Racism is a form of bigotry. Bigotry comes in many forms.
Much of it comes from ignorance and fear of the unknown, and a self protection instinct.
Along with the millions of years of evolution that you mention.
Millions of years of evolution cannot be overturned in a few short years.
We can live in hope though.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: OneManArmy

What the hell does millions of years of evolution have to do with a social construct?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noinden

What the hell does millions of years of evolution have to do with a social construct?

Fear of the unknown is a social construct?

Interesting idea.

What about survival instinct? Is that a social construct too?

edit on 201411America/Chicago11pm11pmFri, 14 Nov 2014 12:53:05 -06001114 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

All of those are things from the mind, not genetic

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

All of those are things from the mind, not genetic

Yes they come from the human mind, and are a fundamental ingredient in human nature.
And being as this is about human nature how is that irrelevant ?

Millions of years of evolution has instilled in every living creature on earth, instincts.
Evolution states that we came from apes. Apes are pack animals, like dogs, and elephants, gorilla's and monkeys.
These "social constructs" as you call them can be observed in all of the above packs of creatures.

Packs would often fight for territory, to lay claim to the spoils of food. Its basic animal instinct to survive, let alone human nature.
Where would you say these inbuilt instincts to survive came from if not from some sort of DNA memory.
themindunleashed.org...

edit on 201411America/Chicago11pm11pmFri, 14 Nov 2014 13:57:54 -06001114 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Evolution however deals only in genetics.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Evolution however deals only in genetics.

And genetics is solely in the DNA.

Which has memory. Survival instinct memory.
Instincts that we are all born with, based on the survival conditions faced by our ancestors.
Its fundamental to what being human truly is.
edit on 201411America/Chicago11pm11pmFri, 14 Nov 2014 14:10:17 -06001114 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

But without race,certain groups won't be able to use their "victim status" to use as a constant excuse for their behavior.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

No DNA does not have memory. Not in that sense.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Infidelity at work?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

No DNA does not have memory. Not in that sense.

Mice DNA does, its not a great leap to expect human DNA may also.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

This study with mice shows that it does in the sense that our fears of what may hurt us can be passed intergenerationally .

"Such a phenomenon may contribute to the etiology and potential intergenerational transmission of risk for neuropsychiatric disorders such as phobias, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder."

In laymens terms... our fears. And being as bigotry is fear based.. ie homoPHOBIA. I think its bang on the money regarding this thread.
edit on 201411America/Chicago11pm11pmFri, 14 Nov 2014 15:01:36 -06001114 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: FalcoFan
a reply to: Spider879

Infidelity at work?

Naaw I don't think so,not in the cases I produced at least.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I'm not a layman however. I've got a background in genetics and chemistry. Its an interesting idea that is yet to be properly repeated.

I don't subscribe to the idea that "race fear" and "homophobia" (to name two) are inherited genetically. Social conditioning sure. Because homophobia is actually NOT a constant across all cultures at all times. Race has changed from "other cultures" to "people of a certain physical appearance" also. Its that latter one that I object too. Racism is indeed a real thing (sadly) and people perceive it (race) to be a viable classification system, but as I shall harp on an on about. It is not a meaningful biological thing. Its right up there with us dediding to group people by eye or hair colour. Physical difference? Yep, Major"? Nope.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I'm not a layman however. I've got a background in genetics and chemistry. Its an interesting idea that is yet to be properly repeated.

I don't subscribe to the idea that "race fear" and "homophobia" (to name two) are inherited genetically. Social conditioning sure. Because homophobia is actually NOT a constant across all cultures at all times. Race has changed from "other cultures" to "people of a certain physical appearance" also. Its that latter one that I object too. Racism is indeed a real thing (sadly) and people perceive it (race) to be a viable classification system, but as I shall harp on an on about. It is not a meaningful biological thing. Its right up there with us dediding to group people by eye or hair colour. Physical difference? Yep, Major"? Nope.

I have absolutely no doubt in the "reality" of racism. When I was a young kid I was "racist" I didnt know any better, and it was an element of social conditioning that defined my world view. As I grew older and actually had black friends, my ignorance faded and I "knew better".
A couple years ago I started making music with an old school friend, bashment music to be precise. Im a middle aged white guy with a few Jamaican friends, which presented this opportunity. And being a middle aged white guy, I have been to bashment clubs and faced racism myself. When I first started making music at the studio I faced racism. I have had a guy look me in the eye in a "yardie" dance and say to me "I dont know what the f**king world is coming to" upon seeing me enter the club. Another time I was holding my friends camera, and had a guy come to me and say "is there any f**king reason why you have that camera" as if I was some "plant" lol. I can laugh it off, but its racism none the less.
I know full well the existence of racism, from both sides of the fence.

I was merely pointing out that our fears and prejudices are not uniquely defined by our social conditioning. There is also a sprinkling of nature, along with the nurture.
edit on 201411America/Chicago11pm11pmSun, 16 Nov 2014 18:42:58 -06001114 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Oh I know racism exists. When I moved to the USA my inlaws dropped me at the IRS office to grab an IRS number. They dropped the N bomb a couple of times (this was just out side Memphis) ... the only thing that stopped me getting more than a stink eye was my accent (New Zealand) and the look of mortification on my face after they left me. It exists. It exists on many levels in both directions. I understand the "fear of the strange" though I honestly still think its social conditioning, but that is a "chicken or the egg" kind of discussion.

The thread was about the myth of race. It is a myth. Myths are powerful things, but they are not factual
They are governed by belief, and gods there has been a lot of "I believe races exist" in this thread.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Saying that Race is a myth is exactly the same as saying there is no difference between breeds of dogs.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join