It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The myth of race: Why are we divided by race when there is no such thing?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

Psst ots 0.1% difference
So its even smaller, and that0.1% is all humans, as I've repeated "races" differ by 6 to 10% of that 0.1% difference, which is tiny.

But yep you are correct.

Skin colour and hair texture are akin to eye colour and skin texture

sarc/
SO as a Hazel eyed human I must then be a different species to my blue eyed brother inlaw, or my black hair (Whats left of it) makes me a different race to all the blonds I dated?
/sarc

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Mate that is a whole lot of logical fallacy in one post.

the 99.9% same DNA tells us a lot. For one, it means Homo sapiens came from a very small starting population. Indeed somewhere 5000 to 10000 years ago we all had a common ancestor. The genetic variation in humans is much less than in other species, even our closest relatives the Chimp.

SO what does that mean? It means that we are a closely related, genetically low variance (difference) species. We are not diverse enough for different sub species/race.

People cling to the idea of race like a comforter. "They look different, so they MUST be different". Repeating something untrue a million times makes it no less true.

Its not about political correctness, its about factual correctness.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Ahh so Homo neanderthalus or Homo sapiens neanderthalus (some anthropologists still disagree on which it is, genetics leans to different species) are "just like us"? Then really members of the same species (and sub species, and Homo sapien sapiens being us) must be even more like us

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
A good start would be to remove all mentions of race from our laws. No special recognition or treatment because of race. That should level the playing field and make everyone treat each other equally. .....
Wow
Could not type that with a straight face...lol

This. Our laws should be colorblind and we as a society never will has long as the activists and politicians keep things antagonistic.

People like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton truly do not want racism to end because that would hurt them in the pocketbook. Racial discontent and division is how they make their money. If we all got along, they'd be out of a job and without a shtick.

Politicians and TPTB want racial tensions because they want us to keep fighting amongst ourselves so that we are too distracted to see what they are really doing.

Why pick on Al and Jessie in this case,they do not issue passports,Birth certificates,draft census forms etc that have Race as an identifier, that is a long standing policy of state and Fed governments going back to the 1662.

In the United States, the “one-drop rule” — also known as hypodescent — dates to a 1662 Virginia law on the treatment of mixed-race individuals. The legal notion of hypodescent has been upheld as recently as 1985, when a Louisiana court ruled that a woman with a black great-great-great-great-grandmother could not identify herself as “white” on her passport.

Neither Jessie or Al is more powerful than that judge.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
A good start would be to remove all mentions of race from our laws. No special recognition or treatment because of race. That should level the playing field and make everyone treat each other equally. .....
Wow
Could not type that with a straight face...lol

This. Our laws should be colorblind and we as a society never will has long as the activists and politicians keep things antagonistic.

People like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton truly do not want racism to end because that would hurt them in the pocketbook. Racial discontent and division is how they make their money. If we all got along, they'd be out of a job and without a shtick.

Politicians and TPTB want racial tensions because they want us to keep fighting amongst ourselves so that we are too distracted to see what they are really doing.

Why pick on Al and Jessie in this case,they do not issue passports,Birth certificates,draft census forms etc that have Race as an identifier, that is a long standing policy of state and Fed governments going back to the 1662.

In the United States, the “one-drop rule” — also known as hypodescent — dates to a 1662 Virginia law on the treatment of mixed-race individuals. The legal notion of hypodescent has been upheld as recently as 1985, when a Louisiana court ruled that a woman with a black great-great-great-great-grandmother could not identify herself as “white” on her passport.

Neither Jessie or Al is more powerful than that judge.

I don't get your point. Al and Jessie are two of but many examples of people who want race to continue to be an issue.

You do realize that there were no "state and federal governments" in 1662, yes? The United States did not even exist then.

Yes, a single racist judge is an issue and part of the problem, but how much racial discontent and animosity a single decision that most people do not even know about from almost 30 years ago stack up to the continuous and continuing race bating by Al and Jessie? Which of the two cause more problems?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Quite simply because we are divided on everything that separates one group from another..
Its pure divide and rule, and divert the attention away from the real criminals.

Be it class, race, gender, sexuality, political views, age, religion, employment status, weight, smokers vs non smokers, drinkers vs non drinkers... every division is manipulated and used against us. And my god how effective it is. Im embarrassed for humanity at our gullibility.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: OneManArmy

Yeah well you can't argue about this comment. Socially we impose different divisions that really don't exist.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noinden

Yeah well you can't argue about this comment. Socially we impose different divisions that really don't exist.

We are tribal by nature, its entwined into our DNA through millions of years of evolution.
And that fact is used against us and by us at every opportunity.
Ultimately we are all the same, the only thing that makes each of us different is our life experience.
The further away we are from oneness, then the easier we are to control and influence through our perceived "differences". I think its the oldest con in the book.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Duplicate post

edit on 201411America/Chicago11pm11pmWed, 12 Nov 2014 15:02:10 -06001114 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I'm almost positive someone invented race as a tool to use to pit people against other people to gain votes in one election or war or another.

Some people just seem have this compulsion to find people who are like them or who they can mold to be like them or agree with them too.

But who knows.

edit on 11/12/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MX61000

Can you show me more about that theory? A link?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
I'm almost positive someone invented race as a tool to use to pit people against other people to gain votes in one election or war or another.

In order to make war against "the other guy" you have to make him into something "different" and dehumanize him. It's harder to kill someone you can relate to.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

There you go.

I think it might even verge on the insanity of some, probably the ones who crave power most.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Psychologically this is changing a little, the outliers of society (out dwellers, outsiders whatever) are tending towards solitary living more and more. Its possibly the combination of urban living with "instant" communication using the web that means they are disassociating from the "tribe".

But yeah nations and their internal states (in the US any way, the provincial divides here in New Zealand are not quite that bad) are very tribal in nature. Sports shows this. Previously when "race" was talked about it was "the Irish race" or the "French race". Then some people with rulers measured things and made some arbitrary but not meaningful in reality rules about "Race". That's when we got totally screwed over. These "facts" became ingrained like a meme in the minds of the populace, and quoted like a bible verse.

"Blacks have more testosterone, it explains their aggression" (no their mistreatment by society does that)
"Whites, especially those Aryan ones are smarter"
etc
etc
etc

Modern science has shown that to be a bunch of dingoes kidneys. Hell statistics did. A survey of these "races" shows they don't conform to the "Standards" they are supposed to have.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I think it was eugenicists that used race as a means to justify the slavery of black people.
They tried to argue that blacks were inferior to whites.
Although Im pretty damn sure it was an excuse for war thousands of years ago.
To get public support for war you have to demonise and dehumanise the "enemy" to make killing them more palatable for the masses. Its still works today, ISIS anyone?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
We are all the same we are all equal.

In this world we live in anyone from any background from any country from any tribe, community or locality can become anything, anywhere.

The only truth is that our basic nature...our instincts, our survival instincts taught us to like people that look like us and fear those that look different. We no longer need that survival mechanism. We have evolved...well, some of us have.

Many in power still use that to keep power. Israelis think themselves better than Palestinians for one example.

If you think you are better than those of another ethnicity or from another country, you've missed something. You're not better.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Yeah. Again...it's the people who perpetuate the divides and the myth who we should be questioning, not each other on that level or on those terms.
edit on 11/12/2014 by ~Lucidity because: meant to reply to both

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I think some of the posters here have shown they are perpetuating this. They don't like being questioned either

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MX61000

So your war is only on the basis of skin.
YOU just lost.
Your people are fragmented by being LOCKED into urban cesspools to undermine them ,they won't leave.
America's people are far better armed capable and WAITING compared to any organized racially motivated enemy.
NOT to mention. I'M POOR TOO.
I have ONLY my disbility pay now. so no white power THERE.
I saw how some article was saying the racist GARBAGE from the KKK is welcoming GAYS AND MUSLIMS,yet is still a joke as are any militants who would try to take our country over.
DON'T take MY word..try it...

I

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

There you go.

I think it might even verge on the insanity of some, probably the ones who crave power most.

That's why I think that TPTB, even those who claim to love "diversity," do everything they can to keep us squabbling amongst ourselves.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join