It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The myth of race: Why are we divided by race when there is no such thing?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

See I don't give them that much credit. Having dealt with them in two nations (USA and New Zealand, ok three UK when I had to travel to plant there). The powers that be, tend to be as erratic as the rest of us.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

There you go.

I think it might even verge on the insanity of some, probably the ones who crave power most.

That's why I think that TPTB, even those who claim to love "diversity," do everything they can to keep us squabbling amongst ourselves.

For sure. I have a pretty strange theory about racism in general and I get laughed at for it, but I know I'm right.

The reason racism persists is because we call attention to it...even in good-intentioned ways. Our response to it, our never-ending discussion of it is what actually perpetuate it. But on the bright side, the younger generations are finally getting it. Not fast enough but it will happen one day...the myth will go away.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
*sighs*

This is SO old. Does anyone remember that mid 60's Star Trek episode "Let that be your final battleground"?

www.imdb.com...

The difference was that one was white on one side, black on the other. The other the opposite. Hate for hate's sake. Are we not seeing this now? Roddenberry was a visionary.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Ehh I don't totally agree with this. But it does shine a light on the goblins when its brought up. But sometimes you need to shine a light to banish something

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Not seeing it here
Mind you New Zealand has an interesting situation with the different ethnic groups that live here. We've got codified into law that the Maori (native population) have some inherent rights as "the original people here". They earned that through making the Victorians sign a treaty.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

Shining the light also attracts the negative. The only way it's ever going to stop is if we stop it. And that includes talking about it and it includes fighting it...maybe just don't acknowledge it or laugh at it instead and make the people still perpetuating it feel like the clueless ones...because they are.

Now, I will say that in all the thinking on this I've done...on how to rid the world of this insanity...I still don't know how to stop the very dangerous issues that people of some races face every day (driving while black, incomparable prison sentences, and so on). That has to be addressed at the source...but what's the real source?

a reply to: intrepid

Yes he was a visionary. I still think we ought to adopt a variation of the prime directive for all the nations of Earth.
edit on 11/12/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I've never been afraid of confronting the negative. For years those of different sexualities got by with a "don't talk about it and no one will attack us" attitude. That had to change. Racisim is like that too. I've got in laws in the "Deep south" who are racist (one from a family involved with Ole Miss and well we know what went down there). The don't ask don't tell attitude really did not work very well there either.

I am not disagreeing that it should go away, and that attention shown to it, brings the loons out. But sometimes you need to apply a flame to an infected wound.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

There you go.

I think it might even verge on the insanity of some, probably the ones who crave power most.

That's why I think that TPTB, even those who claim to love "diversity," do everything they can to keep us squabbling amongst ourselves.

For sure. I have a pretty strange theory about racism in general and I get laughed at for it, but I know I'm right.

The reason racism persists is because we call attention to it...even in good-intentioned ways. Our response to it, our never-ending discussion of it is what actually perpetuate it. But on the bright side, the younger generations are finally getting it. Not fast enough but it will happen one day...the myth will go away.

I think you are correct, at least in our current society. We never will achieve color-blindness if everyone harps on and on and on about it instead of just letting people be people.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The lie of monkeys to man evolution created racism based on difference in outer appearances caused by various groups of humans being isolated from one another for hundreds of years. This must stop.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: shadowposter

What lie? No one has ever said it was monkey to man. Rather that we share a common ancestor?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

We will disagree on parts of that. Attention, either negative or positive propagates the focus.

Oh, and I happen to believe that don't ask, don't tell is the best way to live life. None of my business, none of yours. Concern yourself with your own choices and life and leave other people to do the same.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Yeah we will agree to disagree
I'm a combative sort
I also don't like injustices perpetuated on others.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Neither do I. But how're we doing with the current methods? Not too well. So you have to start by asking 1.) why and 2.) what different tack can we try?

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Fair. Personally I feel education as to why race is a myth is a good place to start. Humans have changed their stance on different sexualities (well in the civilized world they have
) with education. Why not with race. Sure it upsets the thralls and troglodytes, but they get upset easily.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Let's just say there was only one "race", you think people would accept each other? I don't think so! if it's not your race, then it will be where you're from, what your class is, what your religious beliefs are, or the language you speak! people are gonna be prejudice no matter what!

BTW there are differences with other races. Just like breeds of dogs, they're all dogs, but have different physical and behavioural traits.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Midnight13

The differences between the "races" are much more cosmetic than the breeds of dog however.

Sure people will find a reason to hate, but claiming there is a "biological difference" when there really is none is one of the more stupid ones.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Midnight13

BTW there are differences with other races. Just like breeds of dogs, they're all dogs, but have different physical and behavioural traits.

Behaviourl traits in humans are a function of culture,I am much more similar to an urban White Brooklynite than I would be to an Alabama Black rural person in terms of behavior.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I would love to know what "racial behavioural traits" were myself.

sarc/I mean as a Caucasian male, how should I be acting? Do I need to do the genetic ancestral test to make sure I'm a "pure breed"? Or should I just assume the light (slightly olive) skin, black wavy hair and hazel eyes are good enough? /sarc

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic

originally posted by: dr1234

originally posted by: Sparkymedic

originally posted by: butcherguy
We are all human.
There are differences in specific humans. If you find a skull, science can tell you just by different measurements whether it came from a person whose roots trace back to Asia, Africa, Europe or Australia. This is where the idea of race comes from. DNA testing tells us even more.
I am a mix of three different groups.
Races of man exist, IMO.
Racism sucks.

You can have your opinion, but you are not correct with your supposition. As humans, we are 99.9% identical in DNA. What you speak of is that 1% difference which enables slight to moderate physical variations or anomalies. To state then, that this 1% enables "races" of humans is actually just displaced materialism. You are dealing with the physical, thus material variations of the human body. Skull shape and size along with skin pigmentation does not suggest a totally different RACE of human. That is a logical fallacy. As there is only ONE race of humans.

Again, feel free to keep your opinion. Just thought I'd try and clear things up. Don't mean to degrade or low brow what you think or feel.

Maybe not to you, bit that's because they use race in place of subspecies. same concept though, and we're still using it with different colored animals. You can't tell someone those differences don't make them another race, subspecies, or even species but these aren't genuine distinctions of nature, they're a grouping system to help classify and name animals. Learn some before you trash others.

"Learn some before you trash others"?

What are you talking about? My statement is that 99.9% identical DNA is shared by all humans?

I'm not even sure if that isn't what you don't understand. You're not clear with what you're getting at. Who is "They" (they use race in place of subspecies)?

Plus, I tried my best to be polite in my reply to butcherguy. Apologies if it didn't come across as such.

I don't remember the exact phrase that inspired me to say that, but if you want me to pick it apart I can (I'm not being belligerent, I will have a look if you're interested). To answer your question "they" is biologists mainly, especially those involved on creating taxonomies. Basically anyone who's job it is, or was, to classify and name living things. I have a bachelor's degree in Biology and have worked in Biological research for 5+ years, so I know this stuff inside and out. Next time you try not talking down to professionals in the given feild. As for you're brilliant comment about not understanding you're 99.9% point let me ask you this, what percentage of our genome consists of true coding regions? Further, how similar is our genome to that of a chimpanzee?

See why that's completely irrelevant yet?
edit on 12-11-2014 by dr1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: dr1234

Now now lets not bring education into this
I've got a Post Grad degree in bioinformatics (and one in Chemistry but that's not important here), people don't like when we egg heads have an educated opinion apparently. Its picking on them or something

That being said. No credible scientist would classify modern humans into sub (sub?) species today.

edit on 12-11-2014 by Noinden because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join