It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are UK citizens more 'free' than people in the US?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: KingIcarus

I have one. But it isnt that big of a deal to most. The UK has a hate speech law that is applied in a hanus fashion to stuff people say on the internet.

In the US there isnt one. And the FCC is reportedly working on a policy...but since FCC regulations for mainstream media are considered by courts to be a suggestion, then this should be the same. In otherwords you cant be officially detained in the US for something you say online. You can just sue the owner of the website for facilitating the hatespeech which is a pretty awesome deal imo.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

You know I have heard that before, the muslims getting the free pass. I have been pulled aside and asked to remove my boots almost everytime I fly but never groped....damn my luck lol....

I wear that darn union construction worker look when i fly...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I agree with the OP.
Not only more free but more safe too.

link   
a reply to: darkwarrior

a hate speech law? is it targeted toward any particular group or sponsored by one? I am guessing it is sponsored by one religious group

link   
I think you'll find that buying land in the UK is not that simple. If you buy over so many acres of agricultural you have to show that you are capable of using that land for purpose. If you buy forested land you have to maintain said land ie. cut down and re plant proportions or if deciduous trees continually monitor habitat. There is only one section of our society that buys land and does not pay taxes (if your English you know who they are). If you buy land and put any accommodation on it you will be legible to pay council tax. You forgot to champion the greatest difference in the world.The NHS system in the UK was (notice the past tense there) and still could be the best in the world. Compared to the USA, sorry there is no comparison, the USA is out and out highway robbery. If it wasn't for the health and life of it's citizens I would class the US health system a crime against humanity. What about the price of transport. USA a few dollars per gallon, UK £6 to £7 per gallon. Train and air fare considerably cheaper in the US than the UK. You might for a while drop off the grid in the UK but sooner or later you will show up, whether it's for medical treatment or for polluting your land (where is your sewerage and waste being disposed), then the authorities have a field day making you pay back taxes.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
its kind of weird how racial profiling works, yeah sure dont think every brown person is a terrorist, but dont just accost random white british people just to make the numbers up.

am i likely to be some sort of terrorist? the chances of that are like a million to one. probably twenty million to one.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkeSurfs
Well hearing that its starting to sound like it! Watched 3 seperate cars get pulled over in just a 10 min drive home. This is on back roads in Alaska! Definately seems like no matter I go Cali, Arizona, Utah, Alaska. Its police state mentality. "Yes sir, No Sir" or your a threat. To quote the Clash. Know Your Rights, "You have the right to free speech. Unless youre dumb enough to actually try it!"

I'm paranoid and stressed every time I see a JBT on the side of the road, and I'm usually I'm not doing anything illegal! There's something wrong with that.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

originally posted by: IkeSurfs
Well hearing that its starting to sound like it! Watched 3 seperate cars get pulled over in just a 10 min drive home. This is on back roads in Alaska! Definately seems like no matter I go Cali, Arizona, Utah, Alaska. Its police state mentality. "Yes sir, No Sir" or your a threat. To quote the Clash. Know Your Rights, "You have the right to free speech. Unless youre dumb enough to actually try it!"

I'm paranoid and stressed every time I see a JBT on the side of the road, and I'm usually I'm not doing anything illegal! There's something wrong with that.

JBT? Not familiar with that term, so I will guess your from the UK?

Anyhow, I live in the US and it has gotten to the point here, that IF YOU call the police to report an issue with someone, once the police get to your home to hear your "complaint" they ask for your identification and run you through the system to make sure there isn't something they can pick you up for!

Seriously!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
i actually had a recent event that actually impressed me greatly.

a good friend on a game i like to play told me she was going to kill herself (pretty serious #)

so i told the game managers about it and they really did send round actual cops to check on her and make sure she was okay, by the way she was actually okay, but i was pretty impressed they really did somthing to check on my friend, she was not happy, but i was glad that she was okay.

sometimes things do workout.

edit on b5151232 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed
Last reply for the night as I'm off out, but I had to reply to you before I left crayzeed...most of us only actually need (or can manage) more than a few acres so the current law is more than adequate with wheel-based buildings on privately owned land. As far as Council Tax is concerned I haven't paid any, or been asked to pay it for over a decade. Perhaps you live in a different UK to me...or you do not know how to negotiate a pretty fair legal system?
I feel free, insomuch as I know there are alpha's over me of course, but it is a more pleasurable perception of freedom than what I read from many members of ATS from the US.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Lol, sorry, "Jack Booted Thug" I learned that here on ATS.

www.youtube.com...

At this point I kind of wish I was from the UK, but nope, I'm stuck here in "the land of the free" with ya

I believe what you said too, that's why I get paranoid and anxious just driving around.
edit on 22-8-2014 by GoShredAK because: Mr. Jack by SOAD link added

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I know the focus is on pointing to specific laws and domestic issues but in larger terms, I would imagine that citizens in the UK roll their eyes anytime one of our Presidents announces some military campaign and the current PM immediately chimes in with the UK's support.

And of course, our nations have a long history of jointly trampling citizen's rights to privacy (with some of our English speaking friends) al a ECHELON.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
What's free?

Is a hamster in a large cage free? He thinks so just because he can move around and knows no better.

Does a fish in an aquarium feel free because he can swim around, he don't know what it's like to be in an ocean.

I think UK people feel free because they have had certain rights taken for so long they don't remember them and so don't miss them much.

I guess it boils down to what you think free means.

Also I think your view of the USA is skewed slightly by what you read on the internet.
edit on 22-8-2014 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
If your country has a Rothchild controlled central bank, any freedom you think you have is a privilege that can be rescinded at any time.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Youre saying all the videos we see of police monitoring the streets, roads, shops, events etc..ARENT the police? We also see plate and facial recognition cameras/software in the Uk. EVERYWHERE.

We see enough here of dispatch centers with walls of dvr screens of every possilbe location and event. Monitored as well by uniformed dispatchers.

"One surveillance camera for every 11 people in Britain, says CCTV ...
Jul 10, 2013 ... Britain has a CCTV camera for every 11 people, a security industry report ... undertaken into the number of CCTV cameras in use in the UK..."
www.telegraph.co.uk/.../One-surveillance-camera-for-every-11-people-in- Britain-says-CCTV-survey.html

"Government has 472 CCTV pictures of your car in massive police ...
Jan 24, 2014 ... By 2005, the number of cameras had increased to 2,000 and there are ... Heart-stopping moment scooter slams into turning car · Related: UK ..."
www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Government-472-CCTV-pictures-car-massive-police -archive-adds-26-MILLION-pictures-day.html

"Police cameras on UK roads doubles in three years - Telegraph
Jan 24, 2014 ... The number of police CCTV cameras monitoring Britain's roads has almost doubled to 8000 in the last three years, it was claimed, raising .."
www.telegraph.co.uk/.../Police-cameras-on-UK-roads-doubles-in-three-years. html‎Similar

Are you saying this isnt so? Privately owned?

edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: because

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I think we are free but in different ways.
There less regualtions on setting up certain businesses here in the UK, we can have fireworks ect

But you can have guns.

Plus depends on what state your in.

Id say Im way way way way way freer-er in the UK than someone from New York or one of those jail everybody states like Arizona or Texas.

But Colorado? Id say they have it better than me.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
There is a great song that talks about the comparisons of the peoples' of both the U.K and U.S. I believe it fits this thread prefect.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

You bring up some valid points.

It's interesting that the things you listed were either for our "safety" or to grow and empower government.

I'll refrain from the usual funny "MURKA" memes only because you do bring an interesting topic.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Youre saying all the videos we see of police monitoring the streets, roads, shops, events etc..ARENT the police? We also see plate and facial recognition cameras/software in the Uk. EVERYWHERE.

We see enough here of dispatch centers with walls of dvr screens of every possilbe location and event. Monitored as well by uniformed dispatchers.

"One surveillance camera for every 11 people in Britain, says CCTV ...
[/url]Jul 10, 2013 ... Britain has a CCTV camera for every 11 people, a security industry report ... undertaken into the number of CCTV cameras in use in the UK..."
www.telegraph.co.uk/.../One-surveillance-camera-for-every-11-people-in- Britain-says-CCTV-survey.html‎Similar

"Government has 472 CCTV pictures of your car in massive police ...
Jan 24, 2014 ... By 2005, the number of cameras had increased to 2,000 and there are ... Heart-stopping moment scooter slams into turning car · Related: UK ..."
[url=http://]www.dailymail.co.uk/.../Government-472-CCTV-pictures-car-massive-police -archive-adds-26-MILLION-pictures-day.html

"Police cameras on UK roads doubles in three years - Telegraph
Jan 24, 2014 ... The number of police CCTV cameras monitoring Britain's roads has almost doubled to 8000 in the last three years, it was claimed, raising .."
www.telegraph.co.uk/.../Police-cameras-on-UK-roads-doubles-in-three-years. html‎Similar

Are you saying this isnt so? Privately owned?

Here you go

www.bsia.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Your article half way down says they are privatized FOR USE by the Police

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join