It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington state will require kid-proof packaging for pot

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
This is called leading by example!

Source

EATTLE (Reuters) – Washington state, which is moving forward on allowing stores to sell pot for recreational use, will require child-resistant packaging on marijuana products, Governor Jay Inslee said on Tuesday.

Inslee, a Democrat, told reporters at a news conference that state officials are particularly concerned about ways to keep marijuana away from those under the age of 21, especially children. “We’re not going to allow cartoons, we’re not going to allow toys” to be sold with pot products, he said.

The state also will require labeling of the active ingredients in marijuana and lab testing of cannabis products, Inslee said.

It is incredibly important that we make sure during this process, that children do not become targets of advertising. It's also equally important that business owners do the RESPONSIBLE thing and not market *edibles* in a way that looks like candy or stuff for kids in general.

If the soccer mom lobby gets wind that of those things, as some have already have, it will only hurt the legalization efforts of other places.

ETA: Also just as important, listing active ingredients, a long with proper lab testing for products, will ensure high quality and keep the less than honorable business owners from peddling pot that could kill you if grown improperly, using the wrong chemicals or a range of other issues.

~Tenth
edit on 6/24/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
They should also make child proof packaging for all products containg sugar and corn syrup. Here they sell some kinda Lolly that comes in a package or form the same as roll on deodorant, oh yeah the classic spaceman ciggie Lolly are still sold here and some pink lollys called smokers.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Educating the kids is the key, just like any medicine people need to keep them in a safe place where the children can't reach them.

Edibles on the other hand is going to be trickier because any food can be appealing to anyone, my only suggestion to the edible issue is to make your own, green butter is not too appealing to anyone.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I agree that it should be parents responsibility to administer pot to their children, not the shops.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The ultimate kid-proofing is responsible parents.

Can't hurt though.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

ibles on the other hand is going to be trickier because any food can be appealing to anyone,

As long as they remain out of window view for the shops, sold to only adults over 21 and then use packaging that can't be seen through, there's not much else they can do.

But it starts with them being responsible sellers and then parents to be responsible for their children.

As much as the parents are responsible, this is the 21st century. I can't watch my kids 24hrs a day.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It is a good precaution. But I don't remember my three kids ever eating grass.

edit on 24-6-2014 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
What was the average age of people using pot in previous generations ?

I understand the logic behind safe packaging but I doubt it'll stop anyone accessing what's in the packaging ...
Education is key.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Not sure how they do things in Washington but in Arizona all of the shops that I have seen have 2 rooms the first room checks you in and the second room behind locked door is for business and no one under 18 to enter.

Not sure if it's law for them to use two separate rooms or if it's just responsible owners that know how to run this kind of business.

edit on 24-6-2014 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

I believe in either state you require ID just to enter the premises period. Most shops also have a two counter system. Back room for actual selection and presentation, from room for fist carding, then having you pay for your order.

~Tenth

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I wonder why the folks concerned with pot packaging don't feel the same way about alcohol?
Kids are now getting hammered on hand sanitiser. Booze will kill more kids than pot ever could.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Here in Oregon for the medical clubs they usually dispense in typical RX containers with the anti-old people (it seems the elderly are the only ones who can't open them) tops, if it's good enough for stuff like oxycodone that, you know, can actually KILL a child if they opened it, it should be good enough for pot that, you know, can't kill a child.

The whole "think of the children" angle is getting tired. Lead by example, sure, but lets keep ridiculous rules and regs out of this. Do alcohol bottles have child-safe tops? Why not? Seriously?

Something that can KILL a child does NOT require child-safe caps, but something that can NOT kill ANYONE requires it?

Seems completely absurd to me...

Here's something people don't seem to realize, all that candy and "child" stuff? Adults consume TONS of it too. Just look at alcohol, a million different sweet tasting fruity or desert flavored vodkas, why isn't everyone loosing their chit over that?

Besides, it's expensive as hell. Kids have been smoking weed for a looong time, and I can absolutely say for a fact kids in washington are buying it far, far cheaper through the black market than the stores will be selling for.

Personally I feel it's a complete non-issue and not even worthy of a government's time to discuss of legislate on. The container it comes it, the design on the package, etc are not going to have ANY effect on children using marijuana.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: James1982

The container it comes it, the design on the package, etc are not going to have ANY effect on children using marijuana

People who have conducted psychological studies regarding cigarettes and alcohol would disagree with you. Smoking rates in our country dropped quite a bit after we started hiding the cigarettes behind the counter among other things.

I'm in general agreement with you that we should not focus on this, as it really is a non issue in the end. What's more important is for the industry to be ahead of these problems that can cause huge headaches for legalization efforts in other parts of the country.

It's a big picture, 'branding' type care that needs to be taken in regards to this new thing. Trust me, I've worked in this industry medically for a very long time.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
If it turns out like medicine bottles it will be adult proof ..
and kids will be able to open them ..

Hope they design the packaging better as it is a good idea ..

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Kids can;t get into adult toy stores… they'd be shooed out of there.

As far as kid proof… theres no such thing.

When we were kids daddy's gun, the parents liquor cabinet and older brothers pack of cigarettes were the start of something big.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

ETA: Also just as important, listing active ingredients, a long with proper lab testing for products, will ensure high quality and keep the less than honorable business owners from peddling pot that could kill you if grown improperly, using the wrong chemicals or a range of other issues.

Could you please show me one example of this?
Or hell show me one example of this Goddess given plant EVER killing at all?
As far as "improperly" growing, I'd think most things that might kill you would kill the plant as well, or are you speaking of something I'm not comprehending?
The ingredients should list: calcium, magnesium, sunshine, dirt traces and sticky icky goodness!

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: g146541

I've been doing this professionally for well over a decade and although you are correct that if done properly, there is no way to OD from MJ usage, there is certainly a number of things you can introduce during it's grow cycle that if improperly removed, or not removed at all can and will kill you.

Furthermore, there's the after grow chemicals that some idiots like to add, like sugar or spray it with 7up and water to increase weight or to make it look more 'shiny' if you know what I mean. That's just a few of the examples I can think of.

Making sure that a proper quality standard is maintained is exceptionally important to making the market safe.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join