It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generation La"Z"y

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I doubled my income by wearing two tangas at once...

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

DB, use whatever catchphrase you want, but your contention was that I'd get paid more if I worked as hard.
I just demonstrated that in my experience companies don't actually do that.
Telling me to "Play the game better" isn't addressing that point,
and in fact it's a cop out.

Companies are about profits, no?
So as long as they can find workers who will work for next to nothing, why would they pay more?

Now the young are seeing that and telling those companies, "Nope, we won't be your Mexican immigrants or your sweatshop workers either. Tough luck."

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

I am old school and was fortunate enough to find work doing what love, engineering, electronics, computers and physics. I even had time for hunting "royal game" when I was overseas designing weapons platforms and national security infrastructure. I think the key is to find what you love doing and then it's no longer a job, just a passion that pays good money. I had no problem working 16hr days when I had to, fell asleep in ops rooms on military bases in front of my programming equipment. I used to drive for hours when I had to or had an emergency, or fly the plane with the pilot taking a nap beside me in the left hand seat.

If you settle for some crap job from your perspective or a job you hate, you're not going to be happy and you're going to make excuses about why your life is screwed up. And yeah, Gen Z is lazy beyond words in most cases, just a bunch of entitled, pointless, silly little bitches offended by everything except their own apathy, ignorance and intolerance.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I'm really not a fan of generalizations. I feel like it's more about the individuals and their circle of friends, influencers, families than a whole generation.
Sure generations have many things in common such as the advent of this and that or the lack of this and that. But that stops at what I mentioned previously.
Everyone knows someone who is a lazy, entitled mooch with dependency issues and that cuts across all generations.

I feel like corporations have had massive impacts on people through marketing and advertising.
Quick and easy. More free time. Etc.
We watched television shows where the Dad "goes to work" but you don't see the toiling that he undertakes to bring home the bacon. Often times that same man is portrayed as stupid, but I digress.

I went through all of that programming but I'm thankful for being given chores growing up.
If you didn't chop the wood in the summer, there was wintertime to teach you that you should've done it in nicer conditions. And if you didn't bring the wood inside and put it into the stove. You had to endure the cold.
Working hard for tomorrow was engrained into me and I'm grateful for the people in my life that helped influence me in that direction.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96
a reply to: BingoMcGoof

I have a problem with people complaining about things they can control but choose not to.

Having an opinion is not complaining.

Yet, your are RANTING. You said it yourself, you placed this complaint in the rant forum donned by a picture of a guy so intensely pushed out of shape that the muscles in his neck are taut with rage. And as you said above you ''have a problem with people complaining about things they CAN control but choose not to''. Do you think this situation that you are ranting about is something YOU CAN control and your choice to control it is to complain on an obscure web site about it?

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: WannabeeAuCourant

I went through all of that programming but I'm thankful for being given chores growing up.
If you didn't chop the wood in the summer, there was wintertime to teach you that you should've done it in nicer conditions. And if you didn't bring the wood inside and put it into the stove. You had to endure the cold.
Working hard for tomorrow was engrained into me and I'm grateful for the people in my life that helped influence me in that direction.

I had that as well and am thankful for it. One of my mothers favorite stories was about the Little Red Hen and her place in the barnyard. Know it? A parable that I have never been able to shake off.
I would go so far as to say that most of the people of my generation had this instilled in them for a number of reasons, our parents were raised during the Great Depression for one. For another our parents were also ''re-raised'' by being in the military in WW11 and that ethic was strong though out.

Yet my generation wanted our children to have the ''stuff'' that we did not and in many cases our children were not as prepped to become cogs in the wheel as we and our parents had been. Who could forget ''just another brick in the wall''..an anthem for the latter part of my generation and a war chant for the next generation.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I think it’s HeeeeLarious that this generation gave food service the big middle finger!

They have been underpaid for decades and have taken way too much abuse from mean customers.
Somehow Covid was the straw that broke the camels back.

Now companies are like, boo hoo, nobody wants to work, people are lazy, and all kinds of other insults.
Companies need to look within. Why don’t people want to work here is the question!

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

I am old school and was fortunate enough to find work doing what love, engineering, electronics, computers and physics. I even had time for hunting "royal game" when I was overseas designing weapons platforms and national security infrastructure. I think the key is to find what you love doing and then it's no longer a job, just a passion that pays good money. I had no problem working 16hr days when I had to, fell asleep in ops rooms on military bases in front of my programming equipment. I used to drive for hours when I had to or had an emergency, or fly the plane with the pilot taking a nap beside me in the left hand seat.

You and me both. Old school. I liked my work, my career and am living my retirement now for over twenty because of it. My job was a constant challenge to my brain. Engineering, re-engeneering, fabricating, planning designing and producing unique product from scratch. I was lucky and knew it at the time. Yet even then I knew that that kind of work was becoming more and more of a rarity.

The job that I had is now being done by computers. Tech has made maybe 80 % of what I did cheaper and faster. One person can do what ten or more used to do. This I think is what these later generations are facing, those jobs running the computerized world are fewer and fewer and these later generations know it.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Remember this folks. Record profits is just another way of saying underpaid employees.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I suppose I'm part of gen Z. A lot of us actually aren't lazy, these jobs are bunk.

And it isn't 9-5 anymore. For the last 10 years of my working life they schedule 9 hour shifts with an hour lunch. So 9-6 with an hour lunch or 7-4 with an hour lunch. You tell them you don't wanna take the lunch and you'll just leave early they say no we need coverage you have to take a lunch and stay until your time. Prior to about the last 10 years they scheduled us 8 hour shifts with a half hour lunch. So things have gone downhill...pretty rapidly.

By virtue of bad scheduling at my job I have been forced to work 6 days a week the past 3 weeks also. I tell them the schedule is bad but they do not listen. And so that puts me around 60 hours a week. I beg for them to make me get rid of my overtime but they won't. Yet some people get told they can't have overtime and made to leave early to get rid of it. I work a very physical job and I am dead tired and sore as hell when I get home just to wake up the next day and do it again. Staring down about 30 more years of this so that is kind of disheartening.

Adding that my favorite is when they schedule me 9-6 and then the next day 5-2 because it gives me very little free time. Already getting dark when I get off and have to be back to work in 11 hours lol. But go on boomer tell me more about how lazy we are.
edit on 31-10-2023 by tcfanatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I do remember that parable very well.
My Mom's parents were both involved in WW2 so my grandma didn't waste food ever.
I asked her what it meant to "walk uphill both ways to school" as it never made sense to me. She said, "times were tough."
I was born in 1982 so technically, I'm a millennial. I know plenty of hard working determined people from my generation.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TheValeyard

So, saying that an entry level job is where you are supposed to start is saying "Screw them. IDC if people get paid slave wages"? That is F'ing comical

I think you would be surprised to learn how young I am. I grew up with these people, I went to school with these people, I have worked with these people. I started out at an ENTRY LEVEL job and look where I am now. Went to a tech school for two years, gradated and now I am making 70k+ a year with minimum student loan debt after working for 5 years at entry level jobs.

You have to start somewhere, but they don't want to start at the bottom. They want to be handed the same thing that all of us have worked our asses off for, because "entry level doesn't pay me enough to be able to afford sushi and starbucks every day"

I am not against raising the minimum wage, I wanted that when I was working for it, but as I said before, if you raise the minimum wage COL goes up, making the raise pointless.

They should probably start out by looking at their spending habits before deciding that minimum wage is not enough for them.

I'm selfish for not wanting to hand out what I worked my ass of to earn? Okay snowflake

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Get over yourself dude, if you don't like what I have to say, there is the door. Don't let it hit you on the way out

It's called free speech, try it sometime

Yes, a rant is a rant. Good job figuring that one out.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: tcfanatic

But go on boomer

That is hilarious, I think most of you would be shocked to learn how old I actually am. But sure go on with calling me a boomer snowflake.

There is a fix to all of the problems you laid out, find a different job.

There is a plethora or job openings out in the world and if you have the willingness to work and learn a new job, you would be surprised at how much you can make and what kind of schedules you can get.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Get over myself? What do you mean by that I wonder. I"m trying to get a grasp on what you have to say and why you are ranting about it. You made a rant thread about an entire generation which seems to me to be quite a stretch of condemnation. As your previous replies only presented more questions rather than answers, I asked. Now, after attempts to engage with you, you say take it or walk out the door. OK, I will.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 11:13 AM
link   

It means exactly what it says, get over yourself.

I posted a thread with an opinion, you came in essentially saying I was wrong for having an opinion and making a thread about it.

I said what I have to say and I was pretty clear about my position on the matter, not sure what their is to try and "grasp" about it?

Yes, if you read any of my other responses to you and others, I grew up with the generation I am speaking of, I know a lot about them. Not really a stretch when it's first hand information, no matter how bad you want it to be false.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 12:15 AM
link   
If only this generation would put in the effort to keep the status quo alive!

Don't they want the privilege to talk down to the younger generations when they get older?

Look around at the world. Who wouldn't want to contribute to this wonderful society?

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTophat

Don't they want the privilege to talk down to the younger generations when they get older?

Look around at the world. Who wouldn't want to contribute to this wonderful society?

As an older person who has gone through it all, the status quo sucks. Don't do the status quo.
edit on q000000161130America/Chicago0202America/Chicago11 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I know exactly what you mean, we offer a good starting wage, benefits, housing, etc. and we can't get anyone to last more than a week or two.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTophat

Yeah, we get you. Change it! Mold it. You got the power.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join