It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generation La"Z"y

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Why are the younger generations so perplexed by the idea that you have to make a schedule work for you, not the other way around?

www.foxbusiness.com...

The "9-5" work schedule is nothing new, and people have been making it work for generations.

If you only "have time to eat and go to bed", you are doing it all wrong. You are not prioritizing the right things, in my opinion.

I have been working the same 8 hour work schedule for the last 6 years and have not had any issue making it work for me. I have had no issue finding time to have a social life, do things that I enjoy to do, remodel my old house and now my new house, and much more with ease.

Now, I have seen with my own eyes a young lady throw away the job of a lifetime for someone that was 18 years old because she was "not able to get 13+ hours of sleep a day" with the work schedule she was put on.

WHAT?!?!?!

Maybe I am just looking at this as someone who has always had a work ethic of "it needs to be done, so it gets done no matter what". But the younger generation has just blown all of this out of control.

Say what you will about this next part but it's how I see it and how I feel.

It has been 3, almost 4, years since COVID started screwing everything up. I no longer see that as a viable excuse for things to not be happening or as an excuse as to not work or find a real job.

I never got a break from work due to covid, I never got a work from home job. I had 3 days off so my job could make changes to certain things as to fit in with the CDC guidelines and then I was right back to it.

Be an adult, get off your lazy bum, go get a job and suck it up butter cup. If you want money and nice things, you have to work for it.

Nothing in the real world is handed to you but a tax bill and death.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

more like generation less easy to exploit

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: FurPerson

How so?

How is working a full time job exploitation? If they don't want the job, they don't have to have it. But if they want to money they need the job

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Don't know why anyone would want to work 9am - 5pm anyway... I know it's a figure of speech, but I like working my early rises and early finishes.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Same here, 630 to 230 M-F. I would work earlier if my job would let me

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 12:59 PM
link   

You can call this generation a lot of things, but they aren’t lazy.
Stubborn, informed, sassy, obstinate, connected, disconnected, and a lot of other things, but
Lazy isn’t the word I’d use.

Our pyramid scheme of a society (at least in the US) is at the end stage where it is failing.
If you ever watched that documentary on Lularoe leggings that is exactly what is happening to the us.

We are at the point where it doesn’t matter if you don’t eat avocado toast and don’t drink Starbucks,
You still won’t make enough for a house and a car in most cases. If you are married or have a partner you’ll be lucky
If you scrape by, until something major happens like an illness or your car fails.

The young ones figured this out, they aren’t willing to give their life and health to a system that will allow them 2 good years before they die.

Good for them!

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 01:08 PM
link   

let's face it well qualified employees are hard to find. So in reality it is more like:
if you want to have good people you better make sure they want to work for you

otherwise you can always hire a migrant I guess, but that is probably why 'made in the USA' is not really a quality label

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 01:09 PM
link   

''The world would be a better place if everyone was like me.''

I first heard that philosophy used in a political conversation when I was 18 and have heard it from every corner since. That was 59 years ago. I knew it was false then and I know it still.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 01:10 PM
link   

OMG

Muh geNeRatIoN Can'T deW It acaUSe Bewmers!

If you take a lifespan like mine and go back, to 1960, then take the same lifespan back, that person would have been born in 1897.

Talk about tough.

No electricity.
Little plumbing.
Medicine? HAH!
The Great Depression.
WWI, WWII

Now we have candy-asses crying about no free wifi.

Or stuff is expensive.

Or jobs don't pay enough.

*wah*

boo-frigging-hoo.

Should be called Generation Vag.

pfft!

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 01:11 PM
link   
One of the things the "younger" GM workers wanted in the new contract was to work 32 hours and get paid for 40. Made a lot of the old timers pretty mad.
So far, that didn't get approved.
Can't imagine it will.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
One of the things the "younger" GM workers wanted in the new contract was to work 32 hours and get paid for 40. Made a lot of the old timers pretty mad.
So far, that didn't get approved.
Can't imagine it will.

Why stop at 32?

Just pay the babies 40/week while they play the vidja games.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

From what I have witnessed, lazy is exactly the word I choose. Those that I have had any interaction with expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter and when it's not they can't function.

My little sister was extorting money from our grandmother, and when she got wise to the BS my sister was pulling she cut her off. And as soon as that happened my sister got "depressed", "lost her will to work", "too anxiety ridden to get out of the house".

I have been on my own since I graduated high school, it has not been easy, but I went to tech school, got a good job, bought a house, got married and have not had real money issues since then. I have had nothing handed to me, I have had to work my butt off for everything I have and will ever have, I don't play the victim and somehow I still have come out "on top". I don't live a life of luxury, per say, but am comfortable with what I have and am at the point of if I need something, I buy it. There are times that things come up and I will need to save for a bit to afford but that is how life works.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: FurPerson

Qualified employees are not the issue, finding ones that actual want to work are.

See my example of the lady who, at 18, threw away a 70k+ a year job because of her sleep habits.

Look at Ford, they will hire anyone and if you show up and work you stay employed. You have to go through a 18 month probation period, due to turnover of people not wanting to show up for work, but if you show up, do your job and go home you get paid every week and get to go home every day.

The reason "made in America" is not a "quality label" is because it can be built elsewhere cheaper. Why make a shirt here for 10 dollars when I can buy the same shirt from China for 3 dollars, shipped to me, and then sell it for the same as the one I made for more profit?

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BingoMcGoof

Where exactly did I say that "everyone has to be like me"?

nowhere?

Didn't think so

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That's called welfare/unemployment, most of their families probably already have it

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Did you contemplate Crypto currency in your assessment?

Plenty don't need the daily grind and still make more than you and me combined...

Capitalism is the bestest...

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 01:38 PM
link   

The other thing that irritates the hell out of me is when these whiny little turds cry that we should retire so they can have our jobs.

What they don't realize is that we started at the bottom and worked our way up.

We sacrificed. We went without meals so bills could be paid. We saved for years for things like Funiture, appliances, televisions.

This "microwave" generation expects money and a life of ease immediately without doing the work or spending the time.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

This is about working a job, not crypto.

But, if they don't need the "daily grind", then they are not the ones I am talking about.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

They couldn't handle the jobs that people like you would retire from.

i have worked jobs that would make the younger generations run home crying to their moms. Cleaning sewage out of a drain pit, is not for those with a weak constitution.

I have nothing but respect for people like you that have literally worked their entire life for what they have. My grandparents did it, my parents kind of did that, and I am trying to do the same.

posted on Oct, 31 2023 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Of course you didn't say everyone has to be like me, but didn't you imply it?

I have been working the same 8 hour work schedule for the last 6 years and have not had any issue making it work for me.

I have had no issue finding time to have a social life, do things that I enjoy to do, remodel my old house and now my new house, and much more with ease.

I am just looking at this as someone who has always had a work ethic of "it needs to be done, so it gets done no matter what".

I never got a break from work due to covid, I never got a work from home job.

I had 3 days off so my job could make changes to certain things as to fit in with the CDC guidelines and then I was right back to it.

And sure, there are those who are lazy but to label an entire generation lazy just because you have managed to adapt to a long standing system of coerced labor beneath the yoke of an oppressive system does not mean that those who either cannot or will not succumb as you and I did are as worthless as you make them out to be.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join