It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parking Violation Turns Into Police Assault Caught on Video – Lawsuit

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I honestly don't think we are getting the whole story here. They normally do not send 15 officers for a disturbance call, along with a helicopter (can hear it at the end of the video) so I'm thinking there is more here than the video is letting on.

Now granted, I'm curious to what warranted the response to the second guy. You can yell at the cops all you want. There is no law being broken. Officers usually use the defense of "They were interfering with a criminal investigation" which we all know to be a garbage charge.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Bearack
I honestly don't think we are getting the whole story here. They normally do not send 15 officers for a disturbance call, along with a helicopter (can hear it at the end of the video) so I'm thinking there is more here than the video is letting on.

Now granted, I'm curious to what warranted the response to the second guy. You can yell at the cops all you want. There is no law being broken. Officers usually use the defense of "They were interfering with a criminal investigation" which we all know to be a garbage charge.

It was a car being illegally parked, not a disturbance call, AFAIK.
The brother was charged with obstructing officers and disorderly conduct.
The problem was that he had evidence of the misdeeds of COPS. They will go to great lengths to seize and destroy that kind of evidence... as shown in the story.
From the OP's link:

That video – which is thought to have been destroyed – has never been made public. Yet the video captured from upstairs quickly went viral after the incident, inspiring community demonstrations and eventually the dismissal of the four officers caught on film. Criminal charges were brought against two of those patrolmen for either tampering with evidence or being an accessory. Octavius, 28, was arrested and charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct, while Juaquez, 23, was charged with obstructing officers and disorderly conduct. “Many of the police actions that took place that day are in violation of our policies and do not represent how I want our officers to conduct themselves,” Omaha Police Chief Todd Schmaderer told reporters at a press conference days later. “The final resolution will be fair to the citizens of Omaha, the Omaha Police Department and the specific employees involved so that we can move forward and restore any public trust that may have eroded with this incident.”

Officers have been charged with crimes in this incident.
If not for the second person recording the video that we watched, we would have never heard about this.

If the cops had spotted the second person recording the incident, they would have seized and destroyed his evidence also... and again, no story to tell. The old, ' Nothing to see here folks, move along.'

Isn't it interesting that we have to hear this story from Russia Today?
edit on 10-1-2014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Yes, they were charged but I sure didn't see assault on that list...in fact I'd expect to see a few much more serious charges. How bout false arrest and B&E for the arrest of camera guy one. Jack booted thugs...I know they're not all bad but the good ones seem less and less every day. By good I also mean the ones that stand up against this type of thing not turn a blind eye and tell themselves it's ok because they didn't do it. I will stand by my sentiment...a criminal beating a handcuffed guy on the ground no matter what he's done warrants one to help...how can you really help when the thugs have guns and would just as soon arrest you on trumped up charges. It just makes me wish someone was shooting more than camera roll out their second floor bedroom.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by projectbane

You never know who is watching I suppose.

IF only you led with this post instead of the first, things would be OK.

What's that, a threat? That's stepping over the line, pal...

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

Yes, they were charged but I sure didn't see assault on that list...in fact I'd expect to see a few much more serious charges. How bout false arrest and B&E for the arrest of camera guy one. Jack booted thugs...

I agree wholeheartedly. I am actually surprised that there were any charges filed against the cops.... I guess the govt had no other choice.

I know they're not all bad but the good ones seem less and less every day. By good I also mean the ones that stand up against this type of thing not turn a blind eye and tell themselves it's ok because they didn't do it.

This is where I think most of them are bad.... I understand if they speak up, they stand to put themselves at great risk.... but they are wrong to let it go without reporting it to the public.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
So this was from Russia Today? At least the Free Press works to the greater good some of the time. Who'd of thunk we'd be looking to Russia for better information than any American press agency?

I've known some good cops in my life but the bad one's should have been weeded out long ago. Their egos are bigger than their squad cars and there's no counseling that will change it. They're either wound too tight or they have a screw loose between the ears somewhere. Either that or they're putting psychoactive drugs in the coffee water at the station every morning. The code of the fraternity never admits wrong.

edit on 10-1-2014 by Ollie769 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

If they don't stand up for what's right even when it may be adverse to them then why should they be respected. How can I trust them...and how can they do their job to any degree of success when the public for the most part despise them and feel as though they're on opposite sides of a deadly serious battle. How much more of this and how many more viral vids will it be before some people decide to take matters into their own hands? Now the cops who didn't speak up are in the same boat as those they probably despise on the inside. Moral being if you don't stand with the people you'll be counted as the opposition and I would hate to be on the wrong side of that one.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I live in Omaha, and I have more then a few friends in the OPD. I was aware of this the day after it happened, there is parts that the story you guys are reading is leaving out. One: the police were on that street doing those parking checks because of an incident that had happened the week before where a group of guys caused some issues that the responding cop had to call in back up for and I guess they felt that they should have a strong presence in that area. (pssst "hey chief..... I think you might have sent the wrong officers for this particular task, just saying")

But the second thing I wanted to bring up is what you may not have noticed in the video.... when those cops rushed into that house Jauquez's mother (who is in a wheel chair) was thrown on the ground when the police were trying to chase him up stairs. There is also the condition that Jauquez arrived to booking in, it was pretty brutal. But our news here locally did nothing to protect the cops, it was on every local channel for a long time, they had reporters questioning everyone they could about what was going to result from this. THOSE officers are some really low individuals, but there are a large number of cops here in town that actually are pretty cool about things, I think that they keep putting young or "bad" cops in that area of town as a punishment due to the very high crime rate and the amount of horrid calls they will have to respond to in that area.

The investigation is still not finished and it was announced that criminal charges against the officers may still be pending, but I do believe that Jauquez did not want to press charges when he was asked about it a few days later.... I think this is a whole new problem that needs to be addressed, the fact that people are scared to stand up against the police even when they have a whole metro community supporting them.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

Pigs are gonna pig, and like the worst of them, these hogs run in a pack.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Bearack

Perhaps, but putting out a call for assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest would most certainly require that number of officers, and definitely a helicopter for the (supposedly) fleeing suspect.

This would have also made the police officers claims much more credible.

At worst the suspect called him a pig or something and the cop wanted to get even, regardless, that was not proper conduct for men and women who are hired to 'protect & serve'...
edit on 10-1-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Like a pack of wild pitbulls...

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Every "Officer" envolved in this should loose their jobs. Attacking a man that is following orders, then entering a house with no search warrent, then take the camera and distroy the evidence? Im sorry these are not cops at all, That is a gang mentality. People must unite and speak out against this. People in that town/city should be outraged at the fact that the cops did nothing by the book. Raise a # storm as Layhee would say, Call that police station constantly and keep complaining untill they all get punished.

That is what I would do.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

ezwip

Kangaruex4EweThey do the same thing here. The last time I was pulled over the scene ended with 4 state trooper cars behind mine. I was pulled for going 8 miles over the speed limit. I am a female, 5'3 and at the time tipped the scales at around 100 lbs.

Sexual harassment maybe but not abuse. If I were a cop this is how I'd abuse my power.

I didn't think it was abusive. I was commenting on another poster's comment about how so many cops had to show up on the scene. They do that here all the time.

And I really didn't mean to come off sounding the way I did about my size. I didn't even realize it until you said something. I only mentioned size so people could ascertain the "big threat" that I was being small and female.... It wouldn't take that many to keep me under control if it went Lizzie Borden or something.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
IMO this is not something that is getting worse. This is likely something that has been going on for a very long time. I cannot even imagine the abuses that occurred before just about everyone had the means to film something. I have long said that there needs to be tighter restrictions on who can become a police officer. There needs to be extremely stringent psychological evaluations performed, because the cops who are doing this stuff have problems, plain and simple.

They should NEVER have been allowed into positions of authority. IMO anyone who is tasked with serving the public should understand HOW to serve the public. You are not serving the public when doing things like this, because what you are basically showing the rest of America is that you don't give two craps about their rights. Even though it was not me, it bothers me to know that people's rights are being violated, because that is not what this country stands for, and that is not what countless thousands of people died for to establish, preserve, and protect our liberties and freedoms.

And that is why I literally hate what the government has become. Every single time they do something unConstitutional, it is like a slap in the face to every single person who shed blood establishing and protecting this country. And I firmly believe that the highest punishments should be for people who would willingly abuse their power and use it to harm the rights of other citizens. This is just as serious of a charge as treason in my book. In fact, it is worse when the government does it, because it is so widespread. That includes the police as well.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

What a bunch of contemptuous, stinking pigs. And how many pigs does it take to chase down one man who is only telling them not to be physically abusive to another man who did nothing besides commit a parking violation? Twenty? Thirty?
This police department is a disgrace and everyone in it ought to be fired. Every pig involved in this incident should be charged with civil rights violations.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

JiggyPotamus
... because that is not what this country stands for, ... to establish, preserve, and protect our liberties and freedoms.

the only people who believe this about Amerika are the ones who are still mesmerized by Hollywood's propaganda spell/curse.. no offense, but the reality is very far from it.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

MadHatter364

You never know who is watching I suppose.

IF only you led with this post instead of the first, things would be OK.

What's that, a threat? That's stepping over the line, pal...

Funny, I do not see a line. All I see is someone who has a blatant disregard for authority and shows it by proposing the kind of action he would take if given the chance.
All I said is..."You never know who is watching"....paranoid much?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

....paranoid much?

....Trolling much?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Is there a statute on covering up abuse of power?
Let us hope not.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

Anything less than assault charges is a disgrace.

I say even that little would be a disgrace. IMHO I find what was done to the camera person(s) to be even more frightening than what was done to the driver.

Aside from potential assault and battery (successful prosecution of which must prove that the guy was not resisting and/or that the police were indeed using excessive force) we are talking about:

1- Breaking and entering. Or at the very least some type of trespassing charge.

2- Theft

3- Destruction of Evidence ( This is a big one)

4- Something related to Abuse of police power, Intimidation of witnesses, and so on.

These men need to be fired, lose their pensions, and get thrown in jail. Maybe if we start showing police that this is serious, and they will face real, harsh consequences for doing it, then they will stop. Of course, that's just a fantasy, because this kind of behavior is probably not only sanctioned, but encouraged by their superiors.

We need to lobby to make police tampering with civilian recordings of police A FELONY!!!

(I mean a distinct, separate one, with harsh penalties, which they would face in addition to theft, tampering with evidence, etc. I mean, they're using their authority and power as police, to deprive others of their freedoms, not to mention falsely arrest them, for the sake of covering up their own mis-deeds. IMHO this calls for the harshest of punishments. No empty all-for-show wrist-slapping nonsense.)

EDIT: Almost forgot-- 5- False arrest. (How could I forget that one?)

edit on 11-1-2014 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join