It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parking Violation Turns Into Police Assault Caught on Video – Lawsuit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I did a quick search and couldn't see this, please delete if a double post.

I have witnessed today one of the worst, group violations of police power caught on tape.

Octavius Johnson was stopped by police for parking his truck on the wrong side of the road, when police confronted him it quickly turned violent. Johnson stood there ready to be searched by the officer when the officer suddenly choked Johnson, threw him to the ground by the neck and continuously proceeded to hit Johnson in the face while he was on the ground.

How noble of him...

What was worse was that his fellow officers looked on without intervention. But wait, it gets better... The police then noticed that a house across the road had a camera out and filmed the whole situation. The police then ILLEGALLY forced their way into the persons house, confiscated and destroyed the evidence that the good citizen had just taken.

Unbelievable, these officers are completely drunk on power and I feel that these are not isolated cases. Here is the video -

WARNING: the video does show some violence that some people may find distressing

Luckily, the officers have not been put on paid leave, as seems to be the common procedure and have been sacked, hooray!

The family of Johnson are also suing, so it looks like it was a happy ending, but power trips like this need to stop, too many officers were involved in this which for me, is the worst part about it.

Metta ~

RT Source
edit on 9-1-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by iRoyalty

Anything less than assault charges is a disgrace.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

So far just dismissal and a fine for 'damages caused by anxiety'

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

iRoyalty
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

So far just dismissal and a fine for 'damages caused by anxiety'

I wonder if I beat somebody down in the street if my charge would be the same?

I do not know how people like this sleep at night after doing things like this. I am not a "cop hater" and I do try to hard to understand some of the things they do, but it does seem they are getting more out of control all the time. It kind of makes you wonder what horrors went on before everybody had access to cameras. That has had to cut down on some of this abuse I would think, but it shouldn't happen regardless.

I am glad they didn't get the status quo of "paid leave". But the charges need to fit the crime a little more closely IMO. People in power, who abuse that power should be held to a higher standard than the average joe but it sadly appears to be just the opposite.

It's never a good thing when you have to question your safety when you are in the presence of someone who is supposed to provide some form of it.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I feel like the problems may have not been so bad back in the day for one reason, quotas.

Police have a target to reach on how many arrests they make a week, been a slow week? Everyone being a good citizen? This is why police make up violations and use fear to make sure they do not speak out.

Get rid of quotas in healthcare and policing, I guarantee things would lighten up, even if it's just a little.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Damn

Organised police crime vs what?

How did the house of cam 1 fit so many police officers...

& why did the not kill the dog in the porch as usual?
I am genuinely surprised.

Cam 2 guy has some basketballs.

Then again maybe this was something larger we don t know the details of...

In every way a bad view on police.

Truck guy was unlucky,
Lucky dog survives...

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Police always abuse their powers, the justice system looks the other way. And vague, petty laws are created like "Causing a public disturbance" and "resisting arrest" which essentially give the police the power to arrest you for nothing. And most traffic offenses only exist to extort money from you.

In the UK most town centers have double yellow lines on all roads. Not because its unsafe to park there, but because it forces you into paid council run car parks or you get a fine for parking on the lines.

Argue with an officer and you are causing a disturbance. Try to stop an officer from harming you and you are resisting arrest.

If people dont start coming together to remove this sh!t it will only get worse.

The time for peaceful protest has been and gone.

Do nothing and the government will continue to do as they please using the police as their lackies to keep you at arms length.
edit on 9-1-2014 by Silicis n Volvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

iRoyalty
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I feel like the problems may have not been so bad back in the day for one reason, quotas.

Police have a target to reach on how many arrests they make a week, been a slow week? Everyone being a good citizen? This is why police make up violations and use fear to make sure they do not speak out.

Get rid of quotas in healthcare and policing, I guarantee things would lighten up, even if it's just a little.

It may not have been as bad back in the day, simply because people were not as evil/mean as they are today. We can go all day on what cause/contributes to that, but I think it is more about that than quotas.

Would you beat innocent folks down to meet a quota? Would the people you associate yourself with do it? I wouldn't and most people I know wouldn't do it either. It is something wrong with people who do things like this, and I believe people like this would (and do) do it for free if they could.

I am sure quotas being met contributes to the amount of people they come into contact with, so in a way it may cut down on it. However, this behavior goes deeper than just meeting numbers IMO.

It's disgusting regardless and I wish there was a way to weed these folks out better than just waiting for a victim to be created.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

What in the hell have I just witnessed in that video?

I am genuinely confused as to why on earth so many officers were called to the scene & how none of them managed to diffuse the situation, only escalate it.

Two LEGITIMATE officers could have easily handled that situation, without any violence or confrontation from either side.

Sheer idiocy.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

It may not have been as bad back in the day, simply because people were not as evil/mean as they are today. We can go all day on what cause/contributes to that, but I think it is more about that than quotas.

Would you beat innocent folks down to meet a quota? Would the people you associate yourself with do it? I wouldn't and most people I know wouldn't do it either. It is something wrong with people who do things like this, and I believe people like this would (and do) do it for free if they could.

I am sure quotas being met contributes to the amount of people they come into contact with, so in a way it may cut down on it. However, this behavior goes deeper than just meeting numbers IMO.

It's disgusting regardless and I wish there was a way to weed these folks out better than just waiting for a victim to be created.

I think you would be horribly surprised, officers can loose their jobs over it, the need to feed yourself and family can overwhelm morals (if they had any to begin with), especially with the level of un-employment.

I remember when my friend got arrested for 'possession' he had given up dope a long time before, my other friend with him DID had some cannabis on his persons and was taken (rightly) to the police station, however, they pulled out this second bag of weed, told my innocent friend that it was his and he needed to confess, he obviously would not. They took him to the police station and tried all kinds of fear tactics (talking about permanent records, jobs, he'll be spending a night in a cell), luckily, my friend was smart and said, "Okay, go send that for testing and I will wait here for the results", the police officers spoke to each other and said "Okay, we'll share the other one", my innocent friend was then released without charge.

I don't think it's too hard to say they would get someone for 'resisting arrest' and throw a few punches to make sure they don't talk about it, it's a bigger deal than you think.
edit on 9-1-2014 by iRoyalty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

LacunA

What in the hell have I just witnessed in that video?

I am genuinely confused as to why on earth so many officers were called to the scene & how none of them managed to diffuse the situation, only escalate it.

Two LEGITIMATE officers could have easily handled that situation, without any violence or confrontation from either side.

Sheer idiocy.

They do the same thing here. The last time I was pulled over the scene ended with 4 state trooper cars behind mine. I was pulled for going 8 miles over the speed limit. I am a female, 5'3 and at the time tipped the scales at around 100 lbs. I can't tell you how embarrassed I was just wondering what those passing my car thought I had done so wrong to warrant that many officers to be on the scene. The stop was made, the ticket was given, and I drove away with no other issue, but still the horde of cops showed up and stayed until I pulled off.

I can only assume (after that) that is why when you call and request their assistance for an emergency that it takes a really long time for someone to show up. They are all busy meeting up at routine traffic stops to chat it up and pat each other on the back.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The "repo" guy repossessing the car on the far right sure took his time..... Most repo guys are in and out really guickly.... I'm guessing if the guy arrested paid his auto loan, non of this would have happened...... And I really feel Bad for tow truck drivers... They have a rough job!!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
All those cops..... for what was just a parking violation?

Someone needs to use their pen to write a citation... I think. Instead of all that.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Well at least they didn't shoot the guy's dogs...
But seriously, do yourselves a favor and put ALL of the officers in your country in an empty stadium, and then set it on fire... You'll be safer that way...

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Nobody knows what went on before the video starts. It looks like the suspect is being difficult. Another officer has a taser on him when the vid starts, so, who knows? I don't, however, understand why the cops went into the persons house. Is that where the suspect was? Did someone run from the scene and enter that house? If the cops just went there to confiscate a camera then that's messed up. If so, the home owner should've defended their land from the trespassers, but again, we don't see the whole story or know exactly what went down. It's dangerous to assume anything without all the facts.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Fylgje
I don't, however, understand why the cops went into the persons house. Is that where the suspect was? Did someone run from the scene and enter that house? If the cops just went there to confiscate a camera then that's messed up.

That was the home of "loudmouth", whether he was filming or not I don't know, but they went after him for "obstruction"(see Pissing off a cop) if anything.

For the record; check the article, this incident is almost a year old.
edit on 1/9/2014 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Where's the rest of the video however? It's pretty convenient to just skip to the part where he gets put down - was he being hostile toward police before the fact?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
What's wrong with people when that much commotion is going on and someone yelling about police abuse for 2 min. that no one even cares to come see. There shoulda been a mob of neighbors outside to force those officers off and to detain them. Hell if I ever saw something like this I'd have gone after the abusive cop consequences be damned. I might have shot him tbh...I mean isn't that the exact type of situation a legally owned gun is for. You know when a group of thugs is assaulting a helpless person and your in fear for their life...not to mention they'd probably shoot back. I'd say that's life threatening enough to draw down.

WE NEED TO BAND TOGETHER AND STOP TAKING THIS ABUSE!
edit on 9-1-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
This behavior is nothing new, the fact that everybody has a hand-held device that can record video is what's different about today. I have read and heard that hiring standards have dropped fwiw.
10 cops chasing 1 man with a cell phone?
Like swatting a fly with a 12 gauge.
Far too quick to resort to violence for failure to respond fast enough or to question their actions or motives.
All this over parking on the wrong side of the road by a guy who obviously makes a few dollars selling scrap metal?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Good Lord! How many cops does it take to arrest 2 guys? I could even make out the sound of a helicopter. The guy being arrested was already being handcuffed when he was thrown to the ground. You mean to tell me the guy who was yelling "abuse" and made it clear that he wasn't going to go near one of those cops was reason enough to call in 20 more cops and a helicopter?

By the way, what was wrong with where this guy was parked? It looks like he was parked on the right side of the road to me, unless it was a one-way street. And if it was a one-way street then, then I see about 10 cop cars that are guilty of the same damn thing. That crap wouldn't fly in my neighborhood. A war would've started that day.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join