It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with ‘Top Gun’-worthy stunt

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by OrphanApology

Which is why we're sitting down and taking to them right? Trying to schedule the invasion around vacations?

You do realize why the U.S. needs to invade Iran right? There has been a lot of propaganda and nonsense spread about Iran as an immediate threat. The real threat has to do with the currency they are trading Mr. Oil in.

Petrodollar Warfare. It's simply a choice of suicide or homicide for the U.S..Iran will eventually be invaded or infiltrated either directly or indirectly. Oil needs to be in the dollar. Any news of "talks" of any kind will be short-lived unless they ultimately end in Iran using the dollar instead of Euro.

Either way that has nothing to do with the topic. I still think it's a silly nonsense story.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

intrptr
reply to post by Arnie123

Its the press release that tells us about the incident.

Its the press release that tells us the "cover" story.

By the by, please proof read your posts that last one was scrambled.

--
No, I like how I write my post, thank you very much.
Its actually sad and quite funny how you resort to attacks on "Proof reading" post when your Anti-American rhetoric loses fire.
Press release, cover story...whatever, I'm sure you were there all along...in your Tu-50...stealth...don't make me laugh.
Facepalmed, pwned.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Your right about one thing tho, iran would think twice before engaging a US asset.

They didn't. They could have though, if they were within 18 miles of the Predator.

So... who showed who?

With an Vietnam era Phantom to boot.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

intrptr

Your right about one thing tho, iran would think twice before engaging a US asset.

They didn't. They could have though, if they were within 18 miles of the Predator.

So... who showed who?

With an Vietnam era Phantom to boot.

--
Your post doesn't make any sense.
F-4'S IS ALL IRAN HAS...and of course they didn't engage the US asset, that's what I said, they'd think TWICE.
who showed who? the F-22 raptor, the only fifth generation fighter in the world, showed the F-4 phantom, that's what happened.
...OH and please don't tell me that China or Russia have a fifth gen fighter, because they don't, but most likely your going to show me some YT on one and claim it does, then I'm gonna have to come back and throw, "Cover" story just like you...its back and forth, yada yada

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

funny how you resort to attacks

I'm not attacking you. It was a request.

Your response is called an "insult".

Gotta go...

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

intrptr

funny how you resort to attacks

I'm not attacking you. It was a request.

Your response is called an "insult".

Gotta go...

Fair enough, I gave you a star for that. But lets be clear as you walk out that door in this thread,
We gave iran a good show and made that pilots night!!
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
edit on 27-9-2013 by Arnie123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

And if that was the case, and there was shooting going on, the F-4s would have been hard pressed to get that far. But even at 16 miles an A2A missile doesn't have a high Pk.

If you were to total every missile kill ever made in A2A combat, less than 20% would be BVR kills. That includes with modern missiles like the AIM-120.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Iran has a pretty decent fighter mix, including F-14s, as well as a pretty God indigenous weapons industry. They recently unveiled an upgraded AIM-54.

As for Russia and China, they DO have fifth gen fighters, they just aren't operational yet.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

--
I'm curious Zaphod, how much does a typical missile like what the phantom uses, cost? I'm sure iran would be hard press to waste any kind of money, given their financial situation.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

The AIM-7 runs about $125K, the AIM-9 a little under $700K.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

lol stop asking him and GOOGLE it..it's how he gets his info, you all can obtain the same thing, just use google..

en.wikipedia.org... surprisingly says 125K each lol..
edit on 27-9-2013 by live2beknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by live2beknown

Wow, maybe you should delete this account too.

Just because Wiki agrees with other sources doesn't make it the one used. But if you want to laugh and think that's all I use go right ahead.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by live2beknown

--
Ummm, why do I need to google? Zaphod already knows what's up. I trust in his ability for the skies.
I'm privy to knowledge too, I can't say much since I'm still active duty, it'll represent an OPSEC violation.
--
Damn, Zaphod...that's hella lot of money and that's "Each" huh?? THAT SHOT BETTER COUNT, HUH?

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I don't understand what the point of all this arguing is. It boils down to whos version of the story you want to believe, the Iranians (whom as far as I know, haven't said anything about the event yet), or the United State's.
The Iranian fighter got within a certain distance of a US air asset. A US fighter intercepted to warn a fighter off, a fighter that MAY or may not have tried to shoot the drone down. It was in international airspace, and quite frankly it doesn't matter one bit what the drone was doing, it can look all it wants at Iran, and there isn't anything Iran can do about it, unless they want to engage the drone. In which case, the US would defend its air asset. I'll probably be flamed for this, labeled as a "war-monger", but we should have just set an example, let the Iranian try to shoot the drone down. At least then we could have engaged the Iranian and shot him down, maybe they'd think twice about attempting to shoot down other countries aircraft in international airspace.

As an analogy, lets say we, the US, have a trawler "spy" ship, gathering SIGINT. Its in international waters. Do you think it would be justified if the country its spying on goes ahead and sinks it? What if the hostile attacker is intercepted, and warned off? Do you think it was a good think it was intercepted instead?

If nothing else, the F-22 pilots might have saved the lives of the Iranian pilot, because if the Iranian fighter DID have orders to intercept and shoot down the drown, they would have been engaged. I know its kinda of pretentious to assume the F-22 would win the fight, but come one, it was a F4 that didn't even know the F22 was there. He would have won. And the Iranian would have died. And perhaps it would have sparked a major international incident. But it didn't. The F22 interceded, made his presence known to the F4, and the F4 went home. Crisis averted. Good Job pilot!

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by JJRichey

Yeah F22 vs F4 - really fair.

be a lot more fun to point out that the F22's stealth abilities are basically useless against anybody who knows how to perform simple radar tricks, i.e. the Chinese & Russians. 30 yr old radars can pick out the F22, B2 and the new pig-of-a-fighter the F35 after 2 Royal Navy radar operators came up with the idea and then did it a few years back.

The F22 was a nice aircraft but is now outdated and the new F35 is a dog already. shame to waste so much money on overpriced crap.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBogmonster

Funny how everyone says the Chinese and Russians made stealth outdated, but what do both have in testing? You guessed it, stealth aircraft.

The be all end all stealth detector radar doesn't do anything but let you know something is there. It doesn't give you a way to shoot at it, and once its away from your antennas, you've lost it again.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

An F4 Phantom ?? Really ?? LOL. LOL. This was a jet that did not work well when it was used in Vietnam, if this is all they have they should not only "go home" but dig a hole and hide in it.........wait that didn't work very well for Saddam did it. Maybe just go home and talk to the Russians for some upgrades.

I'm sure they must have something other the F4's, it is just laughable that they are still flying the Phantom.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

NotAnAspie
Great... another person trying to pick a fight with Iran... just what we need.

I'll wait for someone to post which this was closer to... Iran or the US.

There's really no reason to be bragging about this even if they wanted a look at their weapons. I mean what was Iran supposed to do? Shoot in international air space? Of course that would be a bad idea but since they didn't shoot... or attempt to shoot, this op suggests that someone crapped their pants over the issue because they did nothing... and what were they SUPPOSED to do?

If they were supposed to react to not look scared, then one must assume that this was done to try to pick a fight.

Who needs this crap right now? Who needs it? How the hell does this protect us?

This just makes me resentful and mad. Anyone with any sense would not be grateful for such a stunt!

The F-22 Raptor vs an F-4 is a good comparison to a chariot vs an Abrams M1 main battle tank.

The F-22 pilot could have honestly taken on and killed 6-8 of the F-4's at once, depending on his weapons load, as ammo would be the only thing limiting his ability to kill them at will with absolutely no fear of danger to himself.

He was simply letting them know he was there, they had no chance, and bugging out before trying to shoot down another of our drones was a very very bad idea.

There was no more threat, than when foreign militaries see each other, and both knows that the other is there.

The US pilot was just letting them know, if they were planning on shooting at another drone, he would be right there.

It was nothing but simple security, just like the guns you see on an amored car guards waste, you see because they want you to see it, just to let you know what will happen if you wanna try them.

The F-22 could have smoked the guy and nobody would have even known he was there, he let them see him on purpose.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
YEAH MURICA!!!

We have bettr thangs that make yous gos boom!

*facepalm*

Let's stop glorifying our imperial army please. I'ts bad enough people think the military is a good thing, let's not start doing the 'neener neener' dance at countries whose total defense spending if combined with the next 44 nations in the list don't even come close to the US...

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

neformore
Oh so amusing and cheeky, but poorly thought out and kinda stupid action by the Raptor pilot.

Take the ASS out of this and think about it again. Had the Iranian pilots responded in an agressive manner to the appearance of the F22, this could have (literally) started a war.

Or, to look at it another way, he blew his cover. Had the Iranians fired on the drone they would never have known he was there if he was given permission to fire on them. Not much point in having an multi-million dollar stealth aircraft if the pilot is going to grandstand and get on the horn to the bad guys is there?

Yes, its all "hoo-rah Murica!" but its not big and not clever really. This sort of thing can have real world consequences.

Ummmm.....

How can the Iranians respond to an F-22 when they cant detect it at all?

The pilot let them know he was there to warn them off, so we didn't have to let our expensive hardware be shot at again.

Did you even think that response out?

As nothing in it makes a lot of sense.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join