It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The best beer you have ever tasted?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I've always been partial to Belgian beers. Used to like IPA's, but now I just can't stand them for some reason, I just never find myself in the mood for them.

I enjoyed a very sour sipping beer I tried about 6 months ago while doing a tour of the New Belgium Brewery in Fort Collins, CO, called "La Folie". Unfortunately it's hard to come by outside of CO, and Fort Collins for that matter.

Shock Top makes a solid Belgian. Always loved Duvel, too.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Might as well make my first comment as an ATS account holder, on matters after my own heart...Ale!

Has to be Brewdog Punk IPA, though some of their other stuff is really good too. Each bottle label has the following statement of intent printed on it:

"This is not a lowest common denominator beer.
This is an aggressive beer.
We don't care if you don't like it.

We do not merely aspire to the proclaimed heady heights of conformity through neutrality and blandness.
It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate the depth, character and quality of this premium craft brewed beer.
You probably don't even care that this rebellious little beer contains no preservatives or additives and uses only the finest fresh natural ingredients.

Just go back to drinking your mass marketed, bland, cheaply made watered down lager, and close the door behind you.

BrewDog: Beer for Punks.
BrewDog is about breaking rules, taking risks, upsetting trends and unsettling institutions but first and foremost, great tasting beer."

I like the banter and the attitude that comes across in the branding and, together with the great tasting substance contained within, makes an all-round enjoyable experience.

Well worth a sample in my humble opinion.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
My favourite beer is whatever Im brewing at the time. I usually try to brew euro beers for the summer and ales for the winter in general. At the moment Im addicted to the Monteiths range of beers especially the radler.
edit on 25-2-2013 by ITSALLGOOD because: poor typing due to beer

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I love Midas Touch by Dogfish Head Brewery.

It's like golden nectar.

From the description on their website. "This sweet yet dry beer is made with ingredients found in 2,700-year-old drinking vessels from the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine and mead, Midas will please the chardonnay and beer drinker alike."

I don't know about pleasing the wine drinker, but it is a damn fine brew.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Being partial to stout beers;

Stone Russian Imperial Stout.."Brewed in the authentic historical style of an Imperial Russian Stout, this beer is massive. Intensely aromatic (notes of anise, black currants, coffee, roastiness and alcohol) and heavy on the palate, this brew goes where few can - and fewer dare even try. The style originated from Czarist Russia's demand for ever thicker English stouts. Expect our version of this mysterious brew to pour like Siberian crude and taste even heavier!" stonebrew.com

and

Hoppin Frog B.O.R.I.S., i.e. Bodacious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout, rated one of the World’s 50 Best Beers..."This is the grand-daddy of all stout styles, with an intensely deep roasted and full bodied flavor."
(The 'Barrel Aged' variety of the B.O.R.I.S. aged in whiskey barrels is even better, delivering "rich characters of vanilla, dark fruit, oak, and spice. It’s unbelievably complex and savory".) hoppinfrog.com

To anyone who appreciates a really dark, full bodied stout, I can't recommend these enough. The amount of flavor in each of these beers is astounding. Stone Breweries and Hoppin' Frog do not mess around. They are very serious about brewing and deliver a top quality product for people who recognize and appreciate it when they see it (and also are willing to pay a little extra to get it).

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Blanche De Chambly, a Belgian Medieval white ale, is probably the best beer on planet Earth. And I have tried hundreds of various types of Lagers, Pilsners, stouts and Ales.

Sierra nevada's kellerweis hefeweizen is not far behind. I have found that the wheat based beers are the best. Course I love me a thick bodied Ale too. Nothing like some good suds. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Originally posted by winofiend
Best beer I've ever had was a Belgium once called Chimay.

You know I'd actually forgive myself if I had one of those belgium chimays now... they were so expensive for singles they limit themselves by the cost. But at 9% alc/vol you only needed about 12 or so...

www.internationalbeershop.com.au...

ahh sobriety. only when you are here do I remember the times good beer was indeed good.

Not many things I would consider myself educated in but beer is definitely one of them. I could go on for hours about real beer but it seems it could be overload in this thread which already has many many beers listed already!

Although not enough British ones! Well worth check out some of the old and new masters!

The reason I saw your post and felt the need to respond is to urge you to try Chimay (any of the three colours!) with the Chimay Cheese! A great pairing!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Chesterpudlian

Originally posted by Chesterpudlian
Might as well make my first comment as an ATS account holder, on matters after my own heart...Ale!

Has to be Brewdog Punk IPA, though some of their other stuff is really good too. Each bottle label has the following statement of intent printed on it:

"This is not a lowest common denominator beer.
This is an aggressive beer.
We don't care if you don't like it.

We do not merely aspire to the proclaimed heady heights of conformity through neutrality and blandness.
It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to appreciate the depth, character and quality of this premium craft brewed beer.
You probably don't even care that this rebellious little beer contains no preservatives or additives and uses only the finest fresh natural ingredients.

Just go back to drinking your mass marketed, bland, cheaply made watered down lager, and close the door behind you.

BrewDog: Beer for Punks.
BrewDog is about breaking rules, taking risks, upsetting trends and unsettling institutions but first and foremost, great tasting beer."

I like the banter and the attitude that comes across in the branding and, together with the great tasting substance contained within, makes an all-round enjoyable experience.

Well worth a sample in my humble opinion.

Well I quit buying BrewDog. They have become like the Weatherspoons of real beer. Their beer is not that great and most of it is about marketing.

With a pub in most probably 15 or 16 cities and mass produced beer they have become what they pretended to not want to be.
edit on 25-2-2013 by b14warrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Loving this brew thread.

For English beers I'd have to say anything by copper dragon brewery or moorhouse brewery's Pendle range.

Save for English, in a world beer you can't beat the rough Weiss biers of the fatherland.

For a stout I'd have to recomend a simple Mackison from Yorkshire.
edit on 25-2-2013 by 1nquisitive because: beer

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Probably too many to mention, a number of them already noted here. My favourite at the moment are the offerings from Innes & Gunn, particularly their rum finish variety!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hendrick99
I've always been partial to Belgian beers. Used to like IPA's, but now I just can't stand them for some reason, I just never find myself in the mood for them.

I enjoyed a very sour sipping beer I tried about 6 months ago while doing a tour of the New Belgium Brewery in Fort Collins, CO, called "La Folie". Unfortunately it's hard to come by outside of CO, and Fort Collins for that matter.

Shock Top makes a solid Belgian. Always loved Duvel, too.

Belgian beers are very good, I'm a big fan! I'm not a huge fan of IPAs, although god help me, I have tried. I didn't realize New belgium is hard to get outside of Colorado? I'm in Loveland (next door to Ft. Co) and it is sold in just about every liquor store here in town. Speaking of New Belgium.. I'm off to grab a Sunshine Wheat out of the fridge!

If you are in Loveland anytime, head down town. There is this new place called Loveland Aleworks down on 4th street near the railroad. Hubby went there and said it was amazing!!
edit on 25-2-2013 by MaMaa because: Edited because my fingers moved faster than my brain and I forgot to say something!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by InTheLight

Originally posted by MaMaa

Originally posted by Time2Think
Wow I never realized so many people liked pale ales... I tend to stick to lagers like Yuengling, but these days I'm really getting into Belgian whites - ever since my friend bought us a case of Blue Moon a while back. Right now I'm enjoying a case of Shock Top. I also really like drinking molson and labatt's. Not really into the hoppy stuff like Stone IPA (Gargoyle). One of my friends had some of that a while ago too, and I found myself chugging it to heavy metal... fun stuff lol. I can't stand drinking stuff like Black and Tan's, makes me want to puke just thinking about it.

I don't drink coffee at all, that probably has a lot to do with people's tastes in beer.... I don't smoke anymore either. If you think about it coffee and cigarettes taste like crap.

edit on 24-2-2013 by Time2Think because: (no reason given)

I'm a fan of Blue Moon and shock top too! I have not tried shock top's honeyscrisp apple wheat, but their pumpkin and Belgian white is really good!

I'm drinking Shock Top right now, it's very tasty.

Hubby had the last Shock Top, I'm down to New Belgium Sunshine Wheat & Left Hand Milk Stout. I'm drinking a Sunshine Wheat now!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Time2Think
reply to post by MaMaa

The honeycrisp is really good stuff, but if you're not into the apple flavoring like say.. hard ciders or stuff such as woodchuck, or hardcore apple (whatever it's called) I don't think I would recommend it - it kinda has an aftertaste of apples. I personally like it a lot... probably too much, it did give me some heartburn haha.

I liked woodchuck ok I think, I had been drinking prior to that so it's hard to say for sure.
But I like hard ciders so I'll have to give that one a try!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Theres 2 kinds of beers really: beer you can drink when youre thirsty and beer to enjoy the special taste. I prefer the first kind. If i want a drink to enjoy i get a glass of wine.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Free beer tastes the best

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Unfortunately, Real Ale is not available outside of Texas (as far as I know) but they make a great brew..... Always liked their Pilsner. They didn't have the IPA when I lived there. Would love to try it though... Right now I have several fav's but always come back to Bell's Two Hearted. Anything Laugunitas too....

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I'm at work so unfortunately I can't read every post in this thread but I just wanted to say that my favourite is Coopers Pale Ale (it's an Australian beer with bugger all preservatives). It's like a commercial home brew beer.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Can't go wrong with any beer from Portland.
Heck, can't go wrong with any Oregon beers.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Year: 2006
Beer: Honey beer

Simply the best beer I have ever tasted and is still to this day my white whale. I have tried other "honey beers" but they pale in comparison. "sigh"

I even have the traditional pottery cup it came in. it was brewed from honey the old fashioned way and even the stall that sold it had proper beer wenches serving in middle aged costume.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I am not claiming it as the best but it is unique - 4 kinds of ginseng in s porter by Trailhead Brewery in Corvallis, OR, available only in a pig o beer (a pig is a horizontal vessel that looks like a pig and is pressurized in some way and can be kept in frig for a couple weeks). They may have it in bottles, but I have not seen it. So far, I have
just found it in the PIG (they may have invented this pig) at Market of Choice. The PIG has about a $28 deposit fee.

As one comment says: an herbal infusion of four different ginseng roots: American, Korean, Siberian, and Chinese Tienchi.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join