It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd Attraction

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
It appears a couple, JOHN P TULLY III & KIMBERLY E TULLY owned the house prior to you if that helps.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

the house is about 2100 sqft

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Yeah I found that out in my title work, but the latest I could find that goes back was in the 70's and that was just "home improvements" ie; new roofing new siding etc.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by slapjacks
Yeah I found that out in my title work, but the latest I could find that goes back was in the 70's and that was just "home improvements" ie; new roofing new siding etc.

It is also odd that the town wiki says it was founded in 1854 but the town tax seal has 1853....

www.k3county.net...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

none of it makes sense I have paper work saying the place was built in 1890, and 1851. And the note that was penciled in on one of the bedrooms dated September 1865...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

none of it makes sense I have paper work saying the place was built in 1890, and 1851. And the note that was penciled in on one of the bedrooms dated September 1865...

Another odd note is that another previous owner last name Henderson had an original document filing date on the tax record of 01/01/1900....and is listed as a senior citizen for exemption. This could have been the original family that owned the house possibly, and owned it since it was built.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
On another note....that is a nice "Z" style door. If you ever get rid of the shed you should use that door somewhere else in the house...make it a slider door to a room or something...very cool.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

There was a guy by the name of Robert I think his last name was Enos or something like that the supposedly built the house which i'm now finding out that the subdivision which the house is in was named after this guy... Can't find out much more though.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I am not sure how it works in your State, but in PA we can do deed genealogies on the County level for any property in the State. It's a bit of work and a lot of man hours looking through old huge books; but it will be worth a shot. I have researched my great-grandparents farm back to when it was originally purchased from PA Commonwealth.

Research that at your County Courthouse in the Deeds area and see what can be found. Local Historians don't normally have this info; they just have info that has been gathered by themselves and others and handed over to them for sharing with the future generations.

A_L

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

There was a guy by the name of Robert I think his last name was Enos or something like that the supposedly built the house which i'm now finding out that the subdivision which the house is in was named after this guy... Can't find out much more though.

He had something to do with the Horticultural Society, as well as a relative by the name of Eugene. Found an old gazette article on a Strawberry and Rose Fair they held.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Would you mind sending me the links?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
His name was Rutledge Howard Enos...went by R.H. Enos. Had 10 brothers and sisters with some living quite close by. Born to a Jonathan Enos in NY.

Genealogy

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Would you mind sending me the links?

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

The last link is a book to the Illinois Horticultural Society Book.....you have to search it for Enos.

Search Enos in all the links.

Hope that helps some!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

This just hit me but I remember when I first looked at the house I was in the back yard and everything was so over grown it was horrible, I remember that there was a single red rose growing underneath one of the trees in the back... I don't why that sticks out to me maybe cause you've found that was in to horticulture and sold straw berries and roses? hmmm..

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by slapjacks

I've been following your intriguing thread since the beginning. Several comments on your photos, thanks for posting them!

First, it's odd someone built an enclosed shed *inside* of a basement. At least, it seems odd to me. Someone wanted a separate room inside of a room. I wonder the thought process behind that.

Second...this one from my gut, so has no proof to go with it. Someone was held captive in that little room at some time in the past.

Great story.....

Des

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
It would also appear there was a big connection with the Civil War at this time and this town. Civil War was 1861-1865 and there were some of the Enos genealogy involved......

www.ilsos.gov...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I wondered the same thing too Des... Why have a shed in a completely open basement? It just seems out of place. And as for someone being held captive in there... My thinking on that is it could have been a slave of Indian decent... We have caves around here that have cave drawings and artifacts from Indian tribes, Not to long ago I found an old arrow head in the river about a mile from this house when I was fishing...

I'm not the brightest history buff, but maybe the property could have been a "safe house" at some point in time, or I could simply be over analyzing the situation. My mind tends to run wild with the unknown.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

reply to post by Destinyone

I wondered the same thing too Des... Why have a shed in a completely open basement? It just seems out of place. And as for someone being held captive in there... My thinking on that is it could have been a slave of Indian decent... We have caves around here that have cave drawings and artifacts from Indian tribes, Not to long ago I found an old arrow head in the river about a mile from this house when I was fishing...

I'm not the brightest history buff, but maybe the property could have been a "safe house" at some point in time, or I could simply be over analyzing the situation. My mind tends to run wild with the unknown.

To that point...from wikipedia...

History The area of Kankakee was inhabited by the Potawatami beginning sometime in the 18th century. In 1833 the Potawatami signed a treaty with the United States government, agreeing to leave the region and move west. Kankakee was founded in 1854

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
this is one of the caves, that runs off of the Kankakee river about a quarter mile from my house. I've been in a few of these caves and some are pretty extensive that run under ground and come out in a different area of the river. very cool none the less, maybe the caves could have also been used and slave routes to get away or to hide from who ever..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join