It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just saw the proposed tax increases on the Middle Class, are they INSANE?!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
ty - for nuthin - all you commies - i haven't seen a nickels worth of improvements over my 62 years - and ask yourself why would a socalled federal bank charge the taxpayer 2 or 3 percent - could it be that we are to have nothing - whilst they suck down 30dollar cigars that you and i bought - let's all just quit working.
the godd principle - gold oil debt and death - that's what big gubberment brings.
edit on 8-12-2012 by jibajaba because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Seriously? When are we even notified of anything that the government has done until after the fact?

You're kidding right? You mean to tell me that you can't open CSPAN or go online and read the legislation, write to your representatives or do anything to involve yourself in the process?

Yet it's their fault? Save me the indignation.

Do you work?
Do you own a home?
Did you pay for college?
Do you have health, homeowners and car insurance?
Do you pay cash for every single purchase you make?

Retired.
Yes, payed for in full.
Yes, paid for in full.
Yes, I have all those coverages.
As much as possible, we use credit cause it's convenient, but I don't buy anything I don't have the money for.

We didn't let our country slip into financial disaster.

Then you are stating that the American people are not responsible for the situation they are in? Please, tell me how that works in a system where you elect those who make decisions for you.

Whoever set the bar for declaring that the cost of living should increase by a minimum of 100% every 20 years should be held accountable.

Your government did, so you did. It's just that simple.

~Tenth
edit on 12/8/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Now, when you are looking at $25,000 to $30,000 per year in JUST the basic cost to keep a rent contract? I.E... We're not into utilities and all the other basic costs to just live yet..that is just the landlord check....I'd say $100,000 goes a whole lot faster than people would like to imagine it does. As the map at the bottom of that page shows..unbelievably...NYC isn't even the highest. San Francisco is worse.

I can understand that, but isn't living in those cities and not the suburbs mostly a status symbol and a choice for most? If $25,000-$30,000 per year is to much to live in the City, there are many options around the city for much less. The same goes for L.A., San Francisco, Chicago...

I used to live in California before moving to Georgia, and now I am so used to the difference in the cost of living here I do not know if I could go back to California. But I would have not know this without moving.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Then you are stating that the American people are not responsible for the situation they are in? Please, tell me how that works in a system where you elect those who make decisions for you.

Easy, a lot of the politicians making decisions for us didn't even understand half of what they were voting on leaving their constituents in the dark as well. Unfortunately, there are not enough people doing their homework in order to make informed decisions about who our representatives SHOULD be in the first place, leaving the rest of us to live with them. Stupidity will rule forever because of it.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

You mean you easily proved my point?

Easy, a lot of the politicians making decisions for us didn't even understand half of what they were voting on leaving their constituents in the dark as well. Unfortunately, there are not enough people doing their homework in order to make informed decisions about who our representatives SHOULD be in the first place, leaving the rest of us to live with them. Stupidity will rule forever because of it.

The bolded part.

That's not your representatives fault, that's the PEOPLE'S fault for not being informed.

Apathy + lack of information = crappy representatives.

That's the people's fault.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Star for that, but I'm still going to be defensive on any comments making it sound like we ALL asked for it.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Fair enough, you didn't all ask for it I agree.

Myself? I have crappy representatives, but I go out and I speak at public events and I go to rallies and I am involved in the political process for those I want to support as my representatives.

Hell once the rest of my kids are grown I will be running myself probably, at least in the local scene.

It's all about what you put into it.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Really this is all just privileged distress to me:

Privileged distress today. Once you grasp the concept of privileged distress, you’ll see it everywhere: the rich feel “punished” by taxes; whites believe they are the real victims of racism; employers’ religious freedom is threatened when they can’t deny contraception to their employees; English-speakers resent bilingualism — it goes on and on.

And what is the Tea Party movement other than a counter-revolution? It comes cloaked in religion and fiscal responsibility, but scratch the surface and you’ll find privileged distress: Change has taken something from us and we want it back.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

That is not very fair. My husband retired from the US army at the age of 42. We both work full time jobs plus he draws military retirement. How fair is it to raise our taxes $14k a year ....we will lose our house and everything we have worked for.Dont hate. But please dont stereotype. we are not wealthy. We live in a modest home, drive modest cars and pay our bills and taxes. Dont raise my taxes over $1 k a month to subsidize the lazy ones that dont work and draw welfare.

Talk about unfair...how about cutting welfare..

Who do you think does the buying? Those earning money. Take away the middle class discretionary money and you will see the economy spiral downward even more. I dont have an economics degree...this is common sense.

Cut welfare. they dont spend money anyway.

But, please dont hate because you dont make that kind of money. We worked our tails off since we were 19 years old to be where we are. We EARNED it. Why tax us more to pay for the lazy people who dont work.

the solution? CUT WELFARE. PERIOD.

Flame on Ats'ers...I will not budge on this one.
edit on 8-12-2012 by k21968 because: Oh and by the way...we do not have a credit card. We pay cash for all purchases except our house and car. We also have a small loan we used to pay our mortgage when my husband retired from the military because the us army forgot to pay his retirement for 6 months. Other than the car, house and mortgage loan we took out we have 0 bills. We have homeowners, auto and health insurance. We pay our taxes. We WERE living the American dream. The dream has turned into a nightmare. Our paychecks, his retirement his VA disability *he was injured in war* and our income from our full time jobs barely pay the bills now. We get by by the skin of our teeth. Everything costs more than it did 4 years ago. So our money simply doesnt go as far as it used to. Any money we had left over is in a fund so our only child can attend collge next year. He inherited money when his father died and we put EVERY cent on our house. We bought in 2006, and currently owe 25 more years on. Yeah, tax us some more so they can take our home. *complete sarcasm* we are hard working citizens of this country that have never taken a handout. Every cent we get we have earned. So yeah it is real fair to take it from us. It is not my fault we have great jobs and it put us in the $14k extra tax bracket.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It absolutely is a status symbol. I only pay $500 a month in rent. These people could move to Pennsylvania. Infact, I would go even further to say that anyone who spends $25000 a year in rent is a fool. Why would anyone pay so much to be packed into a city where they don't even have god given rights?

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

It is not hating...its being realistic...taxes go up, nothing stays the same. If you are both working and your husband is drawing retirement, and $14K per year will send you to the poor house then your DTI (Debit to Income Ratio) is way too high and you are living above your means.

You have no one to blame but yourselves if that is the case. When my spouse was laid off we would have lost everything by now if we were living above our means. Most Americans live way above their means and they think it is normal, when really it is not.

edit on 12/8/2012 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Thank you!! My employers home office is in New Jersey and when I saw how close New Jersey and Pennsylvania were from new York city, I was shocked! Then even more amazed what people are willing to pay just to have a certain zip code or area code.

This is not the 90"s anymore, you should be happy you have a steady job, make way more then most of the country, and not care about things like status symbols anymore.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

Our DTI is not too high.Only 33% of our income is spoken for. IT wont send us to the poor house, but it will cause us to adjust the way we are living. While those on welfare still live the same on their lazy butts. That is what ticks me off.

Right now I live an hour from work. Gas is ridiculous. My gas expenses each month are comparable to my car payment. live closer you say? Sure, that would be great, we cant sell our house to move closer. It has been on the market for almost 2 yrs.

So we are stuck. Plus if Obummer gets his way we have to live within 40 miles of a military base to use our health benefits so moving closer to my job will put us out of the perimeter for our insurance.

I guess we could quit our jobs, draw welfare and live off of Obummer like everyone else.

You know what really irks me? These people who have 3 kids by 3 daddies and are not married, and get $9k back in tax refunds each year. SICK. We usually are lucky to break even and sometimes we owe. why reward people for having mouths they can not feed and make the ones who work and earn their way pay for them?

Our culture is the issue. Entitlement. NOONE has a god given right to insurance or income. PERIOD. YOu want it go earn it. No jobs where you live? MOVE. Join the military they are always hiring

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

Two hours is a long ass commute though

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

So using the numbers in this thread, and say you make at least 108K, then at 33% DTI you would have an amount of disposable income of $35,640 AFTER everything was paid......if your numbers were true you wouldn't barley break even after taxes are paid..you would have a lot extra.....for some years now.

I said it earlier, this is called Privileged Distress.

My friend that is single and out of work for 3 years, cannot collect welfare since he has no kids, does not qualify for unemployment any longer. The only thing thing he can get from the government is food stamps and that is a whopping $108.00 a month.

HEALTH AND FOOD is a god given right...and since MAN created the financial infrastructure that exists today then it is the Governments responsibility to care for its citizens.

You would let hungry children go starving? Keep blaming Obama all you want, but he didn't set up welfare and we cant let the country go to crap just so you don't have to pay the taxes you should have been paying all along. And not taking care of the people this economy has hurt the most would be letting this country go to crap.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

It is depending on where you live:

In L.A.(Or really anywhere in California) two hours is normal.

In Atlanta, 45 min is normal.

It really depends on where the person that is commenting is living. When I lived in California my Commute was 2 hours 45 minutes each way. So I would spend 5 1/2 hours in my car five days a week. Otherwise my rent was at least $700 more.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The only situations I see this causing a problem would be:

Living above your means

Expenses like House, Car, etc are being paid for by your employer so the employer adds this to your total salary causing you to be taxed at the higher rate then you actually receive because of it

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djayed

It is depending on where you live:

In L.A.(Or really anywhere in California) two hours is normal.

In Atlanta, 45 min is normal.

It really depends on where the person that is commenting is living. When I lived in California my Commute was 2 hours 45 minutes each way. So I would spend 5 1/2 hours in my car five days a week. Otherwise my rent was at least $700 more.

My commute is an hour and it costs me $20 a day to drive it. Wtf? And i thought my commute was bad. No onw will hire me in chicago cause itll take 2 hours to get there...go figure

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Unless you can prove you aren't a "citizen of the United States", then the IRS has no jurisdiction to inquire tax eligibility.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

Except those aren't the real problems, are they? I should point out that not everybody in the lower class is people who don't work. I have been considered lower class for a while now, and my father worked every single day of my life, and his since he was 13. So don't you dare play the "Romney game", and blanket everyone because of a select group.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join