It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Book of the Month Club v2.0

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Well, I'm not the best at recommendations...... (LOL fear of rejection?)

but here are a couple, just to get it rolling.

No Easy Day www.amazon.com...
Comes out Sept 11th of course.

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller
www.amazon.com...=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

THose both sound like good selections to me. I am at work now but when I get home tonight I am going to go through my stack and see if there are any I wouldnt be too ashamed to recommend as well

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Holy cow... The Dog Stars sounds awesome. I will second that nomination!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Since I know there are other Lovecraft fans here at ats, I will humbly offer up this continuation upon his work (well, it's sort of a continuation):

Hive

If you like Lovecraft and/or At the Mountains of Madness, you will love this little tentacle-fest!

Eta: Just saw that Beezer wants to know what genre the book is, too. I suppose this could go into the horror genre or just into fiction. Whichever suits you best, Beezer.

edit on 27-8-2012 by DustbowlDebutante because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Is this going to be ATS style book club?

I'm interested, sign me up.

Oh, and I have a copy of Foucault's Pendulum that I want to read and I think It's right up ATS alley. It's about three friends, who try to invent their own conspiracy, when they get sucked into secret societies that believe they hold the key to the lost treasure of the Knights Templar.

A word of warning though, It's said to be one of the hardest books to understand. So a true test for hardy readers.
edit on 27-8-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Great Idea!
Here is a cool website and I have gotten some great books from here.

www.grahamhancock.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I love the idea of a book club! Count me in. I just recently ordered from story bundle 7 books in the fantasy/scifi genre. If you guys haven't heard about story bundle you can read about it here

Pay what you want! You choose how much you want to pay for these five awesome indie books. (Click on each book above to check them out!) You decide how much of your purchase goes to the author and how much goes to help keep StoryBundle running. If your purchase price beats $7, you get two bonus books—Unstable Prototypes and Missing Signals—the sequels to Bypass Gemini and John Gone, respectively. This way you can rest assured in the knowledge that you already have the sequels to these wonderful titles without having to pay full price later. Zero DRM. There's no DRM on any of our books. None. Why? For one, we don't believe DRM actually stops people from sharing what they want to share. Second, and most importantly, we don't believe we should be treating our customers as criminals. So go ahead and put these on your tablets, Kindles and smartphones, but if a friend wants to read the bundle, have them buy one for themselves. Or better yet, buy one as a gift! Support indie authors! Support nonprofits. Best of all, you can also give a portion of the proceeds from each bundle to charity! For this bundle we're featuring both MightyWriters and Trees for the Future. To learn more about these charities and those they help, click the link below. Easy delivery. It's super convenient to get these ebooks onto your reader of choice—just download and sync. Better yet, if you have a Kindle or Kindle-enabled tablet or smartphone, we can send the books directly to your device. No computer required.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21

Oh, and I have a copy of Foucault's Pendulum that I want to read and I think It's right up ATS alley. It's about three friends, who try to invent their own conspiracy, when they get sucked into secret societies that believe they hold the key to the lost treasure of the Knights Templar.

A word of warning though, It's said to be one of the hardest books to understand. So a true test for hardy readers.

Foucault's Pendulum is a real difficult read. I had to force myself through it. The other Umberto Eco book that's pretty famous is "Name of the Rose" and that's a lot easier. It's a detective story set in 1327 at an Italian monastery.

I'm currently reading Mythago Woods by Robert Holdstock. So far it's shaping up to be kind of like Neil Gaiman's American Gods, except focused on British folklore and it's kind of...ier. Different forms of legends existing in different times, talk of the cycles and forms of legends. I'm not too far in it, but it's good so far.

I'm also reading "Little, Big" by John Crowley. It's kind of a story about a story (or rather, The Tale). It's about four generations of a weird family that has contact with mysterious forces. It's hard to explain. The plot is very jumbled and it jumps around in time a lot, but it's very good so far. It has a lot of critical praise. I'd look for a better synopses, but I don't want to accidentally spoil the book for myself.

One last suggestion: "American Tabloid" by James Ellroy. It's historical fiction. It's characters include the Kennedy Brothers, Howard Hughes, J. Edgar Hoover, Guy Bannister and others. The style is very terse and the content is brutal. THe story spans from 1953 to November 22, 1963. You watch several conspiracies built from the inside out. It's a pretty incredible ride.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21

Is that the one by Umberto Eco?? I liked that!

ETA; I see that it is.
edit on 27-8-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
A great start! Thanks folks! I'll give it a few days and compile a reading list.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I just wanted to add that the library is also a great place to get these books. If they don't have it, libraries can request it from other libraries. It's cheaper and sometimes quicker.

But the books that I will list will have Amazon links to them for ease of ordering.

beez

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
As an avid bibliophile (bibliophile means "alergic to cottage cheese") I'd like to see if there would be any interest for the current crop of ATS members.

Ah Beez. How I missed your comedic stylings. Only you could turn a thread about books into something to do with cottage cheese....
(or even applesauce....)

I have very eclectic tastes (eclectic is latin for "meatloaf")

And it just gets better... (or it may be the Scotch talking...)

On topic though, I am currently making my way back thorugh the Clive Cussler series, as spending elongated times waiting in airports and on flights has given me much time to rekindle the paperback obsession I once had.

I like similar tastes to yourself, but in addition enjoy the original Dragonlance, Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms series, as fantasy shaped much of my early writing destiny. Despite this, I am currently on the prowl for new Sci-Fi, a lot of the newer books seem to lack that hardcore element older series had.

As most books rarely make it beyond borders, any ideas would be greatly appreciated, both for my literary absorption, and my new found library room.

edit on 28-8-2012 by 74Templar because: typos

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I don't think she is a ghost. Didn't Odd say that she couldn't see the ghost dog?

Anyway, looking forward to the list. Many great suggestions so far that I would have never tried reading.

Ashamed to say I have never read Lovecraft.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Oooh, ooh! Can I play?

I'm totally up for this idea...
is it possible we can do non-fiction as well?

I'm especially interested in Robert Wright's works (and interspersing them with fiction, most recently The Hunger Games, and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series) on sociology/philosophy and human nature.

Great suggestion, beez. I've been wishing for this very thing. There have been a couple of "what are you reading" threads, but no follow up with discussion or "study". Also, as a writer myself I am always interested in discussing things literary.

~wild

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
Oooh, ooh! Can I play?

I'm totally up for this idea...
is it possible we can do non-fiction as well?

I'm especially interested in Robert Wright's works (and interspersing them with fiction, most recently The Hunger Games, and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series) on sociology/philosophy and human nature.

Great suggestion, beez. I've been wishing for this very thing. There have been a couple of "what are you reading" threads, but no follow up with discussion or "study". Also, as a writer myself I am always interested in discussing things literary.

~wild

Absolutely! The more the merrier!

I can appreciate the writing aspects of this kind of thread as well.

I also think that this kind of thread can even be appreciated by just people visiting!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
SF, I am with you! I have a full line up in college right now, so the amount of time I need may be atleast a few weeks. Although, I am legally blind and am accustomed to using a screen reader or TTS, so I can just crank the reading speed to 100 percent and read on. lol

reply to post by beezzer

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Thats a good idea, I'm an avid reader as well.

Avg one or two a week, I could squeeze in an ats recommended book.

May I recommend World War Z, Max Brooks (Mel Brooks son).

I read that...and had no idea it was Mel's son...haha and as far as the book goes...its a good read becuase you can really substitute other plagues, or issues besides zombies and the human reaction would be similar. Good pick.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Sounds very much like "One Book; one Community" events done by public libraries.

1. Call for Nominations. Limit number of days to a couple.
2. Compile results. (Beezer gets to do this.)
3. Vote on choice. Limit number of days to a couple.
4. Procurement period. Buy or borrow. (Give 'em 2 weeks)
5. Read phase. (Give 'em a month.)
6. Discussion phase.

I am in with the above suggestions. Seems manageable. I would prefer not to read franchises, or series books though. (my personal preference but I suppose I could be suaded by my peers.)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Wow, I was just thinking yesterday about searching ATS for some kind of book club thread. Count me in! Though, it will depend on the book cost, and whether or not I can get it on my Kindle. Times are tough and I can't justify a costly book purchase at the moment.

I'm up for fiction or non-fiction, so long as it is readable. No recommendations are coming to mind though.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Keep the titles coming folks. This weekend I'll put together a reading list and any suggestions.

Thanks all, for showing your enthusiasm!

beez

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join