It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Book of the Month Club v2.0

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
While digging through the basement of ATS (Springer sent me down to get lawn chairs for a BBQ, I get to help set it up, but I still wasn't invited) I came across a reference to an ATS Book Club from a few years ago.

As an avid bibliophile (bibliophile means "alergic to cottage cheese") I'd like to see if there would be any interest for the current crop of ATS members.

I have very eclectic tastes (eclectic is latin for "meatloaf") so I'm good for just about anything as long as it has zombies, space beings, conspiracies, and/or the Kardashians.

Seriously though, is this something that can be brought back from it's slumber?

beez
edit on 27-8-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I'm always down for some good reading

Question: How does this work? Do we all read the same book and then discuss? Do we each read a book of our own choosing and then report back to the rest of the group?

It's a cool idea, for sure.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DustbowlDebutante
I'm always down for some good reading

Question: How does this work? Do we all read the same book and then discuss? Do we each read a book of our own choosing and then report back to the rest of the group?

It's a cool idea, for sure.
We'd read the same book. discuss hiden meanings, plot elements, then bang our heads against a wall.

Seriously though, we'd be reading the same book. I'm not surrounded by too many with the same weird tastes as I. I figure ATS would fit the bill for off-the-wall tastes.

ETA; I just finished spending big bucks on an order from Amazon, so I'm loaded on books!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Thats a good idea, I'm an avid reader as well.

Avg one or two a week, I could squeeze in an ats recommended book.

May I recommend World War Z, Max Brooks (Mel Brooks son).

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Awesome possum! I have odd tastes as well (my bookshelves seem to puzzle and perturb Mr. Dustbowl)...and a stack of books I've recently bought and haven't had time to read yet...lol!

Perhaps, since this is ats, we can try to organize our reading list in a fashion akin to how the different forums are set up on here?

Edit: Though, we could leave out the political section till after the elections, at least?

edit on 27-8-2012 by DustbowlDebutante because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I could get into this. I have been looking for an excuse to read more and this could just be the boost I am looking for.

Personally I much more interested in non-fiction this time around. I would be willing to join the group through some fiction stuff but I might sit some out. I would be really interested in seeing a list that some of us could put together for this though.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I would be interested.
I can read any book, as long as it hooks me in the first couple of pages. If not, I just can't do it.

But I just can't read historical romance!!! LOL

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Thats a good idea, I'm an avid reader as well.

Avg one or two a week, I could squeeze in an ats recommended book.

May I recommend World War Z, Max Brooks (Mel Brooks son).

Read it a while ago. Good choice. Along zombie lines, the Morningstar trilogy is good as well.

We could be like Oprah, hey ATS! Look under your chair! It's the next book in ATS's Book of th Month Club!
(then people would really freak, 'cause it'd be like wth? How'd that book get into my house?)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DustbowlDebutante
Awesome possum! I have odd tastes as well (my bookshelves seem to puzzle and perturb Mr. Dustbowl)...and a stack of books I've recently bought and haven't had time to read yet...lol!

Perhaps, since this is ats, we can try to organize our reading list in a fashion akin to how the different forums are set up on here?

Edit: Though, we could leave out the political section till after the elections, at least?

I like the idea of categories, it'd suit many tastes.

Yeah, no politics. PLEASE!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
You know, it's funny.
I just finished Dean Koontz's Odd Apocalypse, which had Tesla in it, that made me do more research on him here on ATS.

Guess that's why I will read just about anything. You can learn things in the strangest places.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I just ordered the latest Sandman Slim book as well as the latest Farnsworth "The Presidents Vampire" series (Red, White, and Blood).

As for conspiracies, the "Legacy" series is great. Just ordered "Ripper".

And for all out fun, 2 of the "Monster Hunters International" books.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
You know, it's funny.
I just finished Dean Koontz's Odd Apocalypse, which had Tesla in it, that made me do more research on him here on ATS.

Guess that's why I will read just about anything. You can learn things in the strangest places.
Just read that one as well!

(whats with the pregnant chick?)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck
reply to post by beezzer

I could get into this. I have been looking for an excuse to read more and this could just be the boost I am looking for.

Personally I much more interested in non-fiction this time around. I would be willing to join the group through some fiction stuff but I might sit some out. I would be really interested in seeing a list that some of us could put together for this though.

Historical or biographical?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Sounds very much like "One Book; one Community" events done by public libraries.

1. Call for Nominations. Limit number of days to a couple.
2. Compile results. (Beezer gets to do this.)
3. Vote on choice. Limit number of days to a couple.
4. Procurement period. Buy or borrow. (Give 'em 2 weeks)
5. Read phase. (Give 'em a month.)
6. Discussion phase.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Historical or biographical?

Either. I would probably lean more towards historical for now. I like biographies but I feel like I need to pick those out for myself because if I am reading about someone that closely I am probably doing it for my own reason. I dont think I would get too excited if everyone agreed to read a book about Ramses II (or whoever) and I just had it thrust upon me.

Like I said though if everyone settles on a supposedly great piece of fiction I could still give it a whirl if it sounds interesting.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I believe the next one comes out in Dec? Can't remember for sure.
I'm wondering if she is psychic or something? I thinking the next book will reveal more about her.

So, when will you pick the first book? And although I can usually finish a book in two or three days, how long will we have to get it? I will have to order them from amazon more than likely, as I am in the boonies.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Sounds very much like "One Book; one Community" events done by public libraries.

1. Call for Nominations. Limit number of days to a couple.
2. Compile results. (Beezer gets to do this.)
3. Vote on choice. Limit number of days to a couple.
4. Procurement period. Buy or borrow. (Give 'em 2 weeks)
5. Read phase. (Give 'em a month.)
6. Discussion phase.

Sounds good. The only thing I'd add is sorting the results into categories. So we could have multiple threads on a variety of books.

Am going to bed soon, but start off with he nominations! I'll sort through. Try to add genre to the book as well. (It'll make my job easier)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

I'm wondering if she is psychic or something? I thinking the next book will reveal more about her.

So, when will you pick the first book? And although I can usually finish a book in two or three days, how long will we have to get it? I will have to order them from amazon more than likely, as I am in the boonies.

schuyler came out with a great format, once we have a list, we can wait for Amazon, or library order, then get started!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

I don't think she's human. I'm going with a preganant ghost.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I realize it would be WAY overkill, but I wouldn't mind doing it like you have described, but for each forum on the site. Something along the lines of each month, having a new selection for each forum.

I know, it would be too much. Dang it. *sigh*

I could get really excited about this.

I already get most of my reading and movie selections after seeing them mentioned on ats as it is....lol.

ETA: I see Beezer beat me to this idea. Yay! I think this will give us more to choose from, yes?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join