It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Book of the Month Club v2.0

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I very very rarely read non-fiction, but I couldn't put Se rpent in Paradise down.

Remember the movie Mutiny on the Bounty? Well, this book ties into that. Here is the synopsis that Amazon gives:

Lost in the surf of the South Pacific lies a speck of volcanic rock. Home to thirty-eight islanders--descendants of the Bounty mutineers--Pitcairn has no cars, no crime, no doctor, and no regular contact with the outside world. For two centuries, "Fletcher Christian's children," whose culture and language are a bizarre blend of Polynesian and eighteenth-century English, have lived out a unique social experiment.

Acclaimed British travel writer and journalist Dea Birkett, obsessed like many with the island's image as a secluded Eden and its connection to the mysterious and intriguing Bounty legend, traveled across the Pacific on a cargo ship and became one of the very few outsiders permitted to land on Pitcairn. Although the islanders initially seemed welcoming, they soon wove her into a web of decades-old disputes and thwarted desires. With no means of escape, Birkett's adventure to the other side of nowhere at last became a kind of prison..

It's a terrific read...
edit on 29-8-2012 by DustbowlDebutante because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
How about,

Fingerprint's of the Gods by Graham Hancock. Non fiction.

Atlas shrugged by Ayn Rand. Fiction.

Just some more suggestions.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Just wanted to bump this a bit. Jut in case any other members are interested.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I very much like this idea! The books picked here have GOT to be better than the smutty romance novels all my friends like to read

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
as a Conspirater

I came a cross (Garage Sale ) a Book that ATS Members would be Interested in !

For a Book of the Month Club

A Nation Of Sheep

William J Lederer

Frist Printing 1961 ( kennedy era )

Book Description
Publication Date: April 1961

It's no longer safe to remain ignorant of what goes on in the world. We should question what we believe and what we're told. Only an informed populace can lead to good national policy. Compare what William Lederer said to the way we live today.

Here at Amazon

A Nation Of Sheep
www.amazon.com...

Re Learning from Our Past of what they.. ( The Very Few That question ) .. Thought of the World
edit on 29-8-2012 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfenz
as a Conspirater

I came a cross (Garage Sale ) a Book that ATS Members would be Interested in !

For a Book of the Month Club

A Nation Of Sheep

William J Lederer

Frist Printing 1961 ( kennedy era )

Book Description
Publication Date: April 1961

It's no longer safe to remain ignorant of what goes on in the world. We should question what we believe and what we're told. Only an informed populace can lead to good national policy. Compare what William Lederer said to the way we live today.

Here at Amazon

A Nation Of Sheep
www.amazon.com...

Re Learning from Our Past of what they.. ( The Very Few That question ) .. Thought of the World
edit on 29-8-2012 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

A new copy for $232??? Surely that guy made a mistake....I guess this is out of print?

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
My recommendations from the "to read" stack ...

Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346299191&sr=1-1&keywords=galapagos

&

'___': The Spirit Molecule by Rick Strassman
www.amazon.com...'___'-Molecule-Revolutionary-Near-Death-Experiences/dp/0892819278/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346299165&sr=1-1&keywords=dmt+ the+spirit+molecule

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by underduck

I would be interested in reading something by Kurt Vonnegut. I have been meaning to read Sirens of Titan for about a year, but then I forget about it when I'm book shopping.

I've heard that his stuff is really good

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DustbowlDebutante

I love his stuff but I wouldnt recommend Sirens of Titan to start. I would suggest starting with Slaughterhouse Five or Cats Cradle or maybe Galapagos if others are interested

edit on 30-8-2012 by underduck because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-8-2012 by underduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I went and looked at Galapagos, and it sounds like it's right up my alley

So of course I had to have it
Whether it makes the reading list or not, I'm gonna give it a go.

Some women have a shoe fetish....I seem to have a book fetish....

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

If its not picked for this group, drop me a line when you start it and I will read it with you and we can have a mini group.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Awesome possum! That is so kind of you!

Right now I'm perusing some of his other works on amazon as well.

I had a psychology professor - a terrific man - who was always going on and on about his books; the term "chrono-synclastic infundibulum" was actually on our final exam. He is the one who got me curious and wanting to read some of his stuff.

But yeah, if none of his stuff makes the list, I'd be happy to read one of these with you. Thank you!

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck

If its not picked for this group, drop me a line when you start it and I will read it with you and we can have a mini group.

There won't be a sanctioned group or no group. It's all good.

If I provide a list, it'll be up to the individuals to choose what they want to read.

If you folks want to start now, by all means.

I just made this thread to provide a central focus for all us bookworms.

edit on 30-8-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I think it would be nice to get as many people reading one book as possible. So are you saying there will not be an "official" book of the month?

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

I think it would be nice to get as many people reading one book as possible. So are you saying there will not be an "official" book of the month?

I'll make a list from all the books people provided. We can pick from there, but why force someone into a genre they aren't comfortable with.
I go through 2 sometimes 3 books a week! So I'll devour the list regardless.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I'll make a list from all the books people provided. We can pick from there, but why force someone into a genre they aren't comfortable with.

Totally understandable. I do not read that fast so I will have to pick and choose. I just hope we at least have a few people reading the same books at the same time to discuss.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Totally understandable. I do not read that fast so I will have to pick and choose. I just hope we at least have a few people reading the same books at the same time to discuss.

Just opening this thread, I found at least three that I've read alone. As for the ones I haven't? They'll go on my list.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

What?! I feel we have all been robbed. Beezzer picks our brain's for good books and does a runner. Only joking
although I think the thread isn't going the way it should. Maybe I got your initial proposal wrong. If we do what you now propose, we might aswell go down to the local library and pick a random book to read.

I believe most members, were interested in the book club for reading the same books and discussing the said books.

We have a list of books so maybe we should have a vote every week/month, and read the chosen book. If you don't want to read the selected book, then just sit that book out, until next time when we vote for the next book etc. Then we will have created ATS book club.

If I'm wrong and other members just want a list of great reads then I suppose this thread will suffice.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
reply to post by beezzer

What?! I feel we have all been robbed. Beezzer picks our brain's for good books and does a runner. Only joking
although I think the thread isn't going the way it should. Maybe I got your initial proposal wrong. If we do what you now propose, we might aswell go down to the local library and pick a random book to read.

I believe most members, were interested in the book club for reading the same books and discussing the said books.

We have a list of books so maybe we should have a vote every week/month, and read the chosen book. If you don't want to read the selected book, then just sit that book out, until next time when we vote for the next book etc. Then we will have created ATS book club.

If I'm wrong and other members just want a list of great reads then I suppose this thread will suffice.

No runner.

I didn't initially want to impose a bunch of rules, considering the varied reading tastes. But if people are in agreeent, we can narrow down the range. I'd just hate to exclude anyone.

By the way. . .
Just bought Dan Simmons "Song of Kali",

"Genocidal Organ" (translated by Edwin Hawkes)

and
"This Dark Earth" by John Hornor Jacobs.

Tomorrow or late tonight, I'll start working on the list.

All opinions are welcome, as always.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Great you'll have to put them in the reading list.

I know some people have aquired tastes, but there are others (me included) that will read just about anything, regardless.

Each piece of writing has something unique to admire about it. There will always be someone who isn't to keen on a certain book. I don't know though, what do actual book clubs do when they come to that dilemma?

Oh well I hope you do decide to make it a discussion based club where we read the same books, that would he great.

Anyway, looking forward to the book list regardless. I'm sure the selections that you choose will be worthy of ATS.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join