It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guddafi agrees to end conflict

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Guddafi agrees to end conflict

www.bbc.co.uk

South African President Jacob Zuma says the Libyan government has accepted an African Union peace plan to end the eight-week-old conflict.

Mr Zuma and three other African leaders met Libya's leader, Col Muammar Gaddafi, in Tripoli on Sunday. An AU team is now going on to the eastern rebel stronghold of Benghazi.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thesun.co.uk

hosted.ap.org...

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Libya warplanes bombing Tripoli: resident
Libyan Rebels chant "Thank You Obama" "Thank you Cameron"
www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 10-4-2011 by Cynicaleye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Finally the tyrant has given in. Despite what the motives why we intervened were, its a good thing we've helped stop the conflict. Lets hope democracy can reign. Shame that innocent cilvillains had to die thanks to gaddafi but its finally over. He was never going to last long, looks like he contradicted himself on not giving in.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Excellent.

So what's going to happen now?

link   
THANK YOU GOD!!!!!!!!!!

I must say, it took less then I expected it to be. Maybe the world isn't ending after all?

!

link   
Let's see if the US, UK, and France are willing to stop fighting too. My guess is no, because they really only wanted the oil all along.

Fingers crossed here, but if the Western "coalition" really wanted peace, I think they could have already negotiated it themselves. Sad that African nations had to act as go-betweens here. Would be even sadder if coalition forces totally ignored them.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Cynicaleye

I don't see it ending until Gaddafi is dead or deposed and a new government is installed.

Mark my words... there'll be a reason coming down the pipe.
edit on 10-4-2011 by Jomina because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Ok i dont think this is the end game. Gaddafi is just buying time and his word does not mean a thing. He cannot be trusted. This will last about a day at best. As to the comments about oil, i dont think in the UK it is purely down to that. Please try to remember this scumbag ordered the Lockerbie bombing and he has to explain the shooting of Yvonne Fletcher as well from inside the Lybian Embassy in London in 1982 i think it was. The UK have very legitimate reasons for wanting to bring this person to trial. It is time he was held to account for his crimes. Personally i would send in some crack troops to take him out of the country and let him be tried in an international court. The moment he puts a toe across the Lybian borders he should be arrested. No immunity no safehaven. Oh and whilst at it he needs to have a full mental health assessment as i personally think he has no marbles left and is suffering from mental health problems.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cynicaleye

Finally the tyrant has given in. Despite what the motives why we intervened were, its a good thing we've helped stop the conflict.

We didnt help stop the conflict. We were the conflict.

And the motives DO matter. Thats exactly how the government always spins things. "Well, we bombed the wrong people for the wrong reasons, but alls well that ends well for us."

And NO that is not ok. Not when we do it to others, and not when that bird finally comes home to roost here, and it will.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Doesnt Gaddafi already have a price on his head? I think there are still going to be troops in Lybia for a while. Just like when they Killed Saddam Hussein the war hasnt ended, and that was supposedly the point right? just get rid of saddam hussein and everything will be much better and Iraqi's can have their land back.
Plus how is Democracy going to make it a better place? just look at Mexico.
They will just keep adding and adding new conflicts and mess with are mind, its the same old story over and over again

edit on 10-4-2011 by Whirpool because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jomina

Mark my words... there'll be a reason coming down the pipe.

It will be the same reason that started this whole thing. They will claim that Gaddafi didnt honor the cease fire and is "attacking his own people" again, when in fact the hostilities will be started up by this corporate backed and instigated "rebel army."

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Urrm, I dont think this conflict is an issue with the African Union and Gaddafi.
Its Ghadafi Vs the rebels, and from what I remember they refused to accept Gaddafi or one of his sons in power.

Good to see the African Union can make a deal with the devil, but if the people dont accept this (which I dont expect them too) its all just cake and watermelon isnt it?

The people dont want him, or anything resembling his rule left in power. I hope the rebels stand up for what they want and dont give in.

The Egyptians showed that when the leader agree's to hand power to his sons or cohorts, he's getting desperate.
Gaddafi's starting to see that the people will win eveantually.

Time to start focusing on Syria, if that block falls, the middle east really has changed for the better.
edit on 10-4-2011 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I've always wondered why he waited so long?

When this all first started [before any other exterior forces were brought to bare] why didn't he just take his 18 Billion from his Swiss bank account and leave and retire abroad? It would have avoided all the killing...

Just pointing out the obvious is all.

edit on 10-4-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

As others have pointed out, in any other situation those "rebels" would be called "al Qaeda" or Muslim extremists in general. Before Western powers got involved, they were apparently getting their weapons from Iran.

We should have left them alone to begin with. This is all about oil though just like the other wars in the Middle East, and maintaining monetary and banking influence over these foreign nations.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyJude
Excellent.
So what's going to happen now?

Palestinian people move into eastern Libya
and create the State of Palestine.

Then comes Peace in the ME and the
anti-Christ is ushered into power in
Israel.

edit on 4/10/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Yep, agree with you.

No doubt there's some deals going on between the rebels and the US, but its no different from the deals Gaddafi had with the US. OIL being the primary one.

I think the US knows that if they pick and chose which rebellion to support, then they'll be in a far worse position later down the track.

Rebellions and overthrows have quite a succesful win / lose record, and when the new charges come to town you want to be on their good side.

So what if they are alqaeda or the Iraqi' insurgents, We helped them in Afghanistan, we trained them in Iraq, and no doubt we'll use them in Saudi when we need the oil fields protected.

They only seem to be a problem when the American citizens need a reminder who's in charge.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
The people dont want him, or anything resembling his rule left in power. I hope the rebels stand up for what they want and dont give in.

What percentage of the population is the "rebel" group comprised of? Im curious, since you know so much about the issue. I cant find a reliable figure. Because it sure SEEMS like they were such a tiny minority that France, the US, the UK, etc,, had to jump in and make their little uprising work, because the majority of the Libyans sure didnt.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

so you'd be cool paying more for gas if Lybia collapsed into total chaos?

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

What percentage of the population is the "rebel" group comprised of? Im curious, since you know so much about the issue. I cant find a reliable figure. Because it sure SEEMS like they were such a tiny minority that France, the US, the UK, etc,, had to jump in and make their little uprising work, because the majority of the Libyans sure didnt.

Which is it? Are they a ragtag bunch of civilians or highly trained al queda/muslim brotherhood operatives??

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

When this all first started [before any other exterior forces were brought to bare] why didn't he just take his 18 Billion from his Swiss bank account and leave and retire abroad? It would have avoided all the killing...

Because he actually cared about his people and did not want to see Libya taken over by a puppet Corporate democracy that would plunder the country and leave his people impoverished and under the control of religious extremists like the people of the other middle eastern nations we "liberate?"

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

so you'd be cool paying more for gas if Lybia collapsed into total chaos?

No, what I'd really be kewl with is if
auto makers gave us an option of
driving vehicles not hooked on gasoline.
Then we all could care less what oil
contracts have to do with anything.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join