It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prisoner saves $11,000 -- but state wants it to cover jail stay

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by StigShen

They get tv's, heated rooms at 70 degrees, beds( those who cant sleep can request memory foam), Huge meals that are fresh prepared (most of the time), phone calls, any medical attention they ask for, some get tobacco, Junk food, free lawyer representation to be used against the doc and state as well as co's. The list go's on and on.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PoorFool

Lol you do pay to get arrested, often depending on the department you get presented with a bill as part of the court cost and restitution on being found guilty.

Had a friend who had to pay anaheim PD in ca 290 dollars for "housing" for his brief overnight stay for drunken disorderly on top of his citation.

He didn't pay btw, he said "what can they do arrest me?" they sent him to collections and dinged his credit.
edit on 15-3-2011 by benrl because: Add last paragraph

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
As we live in an increasingly prison-state of the United States with a "patriot act" that allows them to warrentlessly investigate you and strip search you as you travel around, you might want to consider that they will be doing this to more and more on less guilty subjects.

One of them might be you in the future.

It's easy to give away others rights... but those are your rights in the end.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by viperdave

He is profiting from it because Illinois corrections offers the program, he was eligible, and he took advantage of it. If you have a problem with the program, then that is a different issue because currently it exists and has since I believe 1973.

I have never heard of the state going after any other inmate, and I believe the reason they are going after him is because of the amount. Had he spent every dime in the commissary we wouldn't be hearing about him (or spent it in smaller quantities on other things).

My point is that he did everything he was supposed under the existing program and followed the rules, but they are attempting to void the terms of program that he participated in, and to seize his personal assets that had nothing to do with the crime (he's no Madoff). To me this is wrong on multiple levels.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Why should I have to pay for him when he is the one who committed the crime? All prisoners should be required to work in some way that benefits the community they harmed to pay for their own mistakes. Or we just kill them.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by syncelebrity

It depends on the jail. Federal jails are a lot more comfortable than county, this guy is in county he doesn't have a pretty picket fence around the "prison".

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Really 80% where is that number from? cause the Innocent project (a group dedicated to freeing wrongly accused) say its at 2-5% that are not guilty so more like 95%-98%
edit on 15-3-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

I didnt say 80% were innocent, I said 80% of them wouldnt be there if there were real jobs available.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Lol, I am always so amazed at the spectrum of political thought on ATS, from SUPER liberal on prisons, to ULTRA conservative on Guns.

Ok first no ones taking away his "rights" I believe it is illegal for prisoners to profit from there crime, IE all those prision artist who get the money taken away from them and sent to the families.

2nd, There is a history of having to pay for your own court cost and incarceration in the US, just most times prisoners don't have anything to begin with.

and LAST if I am ever in jail for killing a man, and then trying to kill 2 more (innocent or not) Im going to be more concerned that I am getting my appeal process (which he can and has a right to) then if i get my 11 grand for working 20 years in prison...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I want to add a story about an inmate a few months back. My friends captain went to extract an inmate from a cell when his cell mate complained of being threatened with fecal matter. When he went to get this inmte out the inmate had cut his own wrists right before he arrived and defacated all over his cell. The inmate had rubbed his blood and fecal matter in the CO's eyes while beating the captain to a pulp. The captain eventually got control of the inmate by using the sleeper hold as you call it here but in the meantime had broken the inmates nose. The captain later finds out he has contracted HIV and the state will not pay his medical bills or give him a settlement for now having hiv which will become AIDS. The inmate gets in trouble, however he uses his lawyer and sues the state for allowing the officer to break his nose. Later the officer is fired, having contracted HIV and defending himself and is now jobless, and destined to die. Can you really tell me that these disgusting people deserve rights????

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Sorry for misreading, my bad.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

well now we are Americans, and even prisoners like the one you mentioned deserve SOME rights, like the right to not be dragged from the prison and beaten to death by all the guards buddies.

As far as not being able to get his money Im with you on taking away that right.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by viperdave

what you said!!!!!! couldnt have said it better!!!

these people are being punished!! and they dont deserve any money when they get out!!

he served his time, according to the law, he paid his debt, why should he profit from it??

He didn't profit from it, he profited from his work. Two totally different things.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by syncelebrity
I want to add a story about an inmate a few months back. My friends captain went to extract an inmate from a cell when his cell mate complained of being threatened with fecal matter. When he went to get this inmte out the inmate had cut his own wrists right before he arrived and defacated all over his cell. The inmate had rubbed his blood and fecal matter in the CO's eyes while beating the captain to a pulp. The captain eventually got control of the inmate by using the sleeper hold as you call it here but in the meantime had broken the inmates nose. The captain later finds out he has contracted HIV and the state will not pay his medical bills or give him a settlement for now having hiv which will become AIDS. The inmate gets in trouble, however he uses his lawyer and sues the state for allowing the officer to break his nose. Later the officer is fired, having contracted HIV and defending himself and is now jobless, and destined to die. Can you really tell me that these disgusting people deserve rights????

that really is a disgusting story, and I feel for your friend, I do. First, contracting HIV in no way assures you that AIDS will follow, I don't know how much of a comfort that will be to your friend probably not much, but it's not a sure thing. Second, by contracting HIV on the job, he can sue the # out of the employer that fired him and hopefully get some of his meds covered. Third, by the prisoner rubbing his bodily fluids in the CO's eyes, that's attempted murder and he could and should press charges.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

I understand this as I have friends who work for both prisons but none in a county jail. But even then they are criminals!!! Prison, jail, whatever it is meant to punish by stripping rights, not meant to give a full ride scholarship
all inclusive and free living!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

County here is a cake walk, Same druken disorderly friend is on probation (and gets sent to county when violates ) The last time he violated his P.O. was because he had a major tooth problems and no medical, he went to his probation officer high as a kite, got sent to county for 3 months, got all the dental stuff taken care of.
edit on 15-3-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Very true that he won't absolutely contract it but still Its a high probability. Second he did try to sue the state and lost. And third the inmate is a claimed "criminally insane" and won due to the fact that the officer should have taken a psychologist with him and used extra caution.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Nice attempt to set up a straw man. I am neither of those things.

This is a very slippery slope. Our rights are being attacked on all fronts.

What if one day you wake up and are being hauled off to prison, guilty of some new anti-patriot act like speaking out against the government or whistle-blowing or some other silly charge? Then the government ceases everything you own to pay for your incarceration.

Don't say it can't happen, they won't come for you. It already has to others.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Technically he would not be able to do that job if he had not done the crime, so in a very technical definition he is indirectly profiting from his crime, and i am sure the state will use that argument in the court case.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Yeah. My former IL governor is doing time in WI the facility that he is at literally has a white picket fence no barbed wire, no 12 foot fence, nada just this little white fence I could step over it without a problem. They've never had any escapees that I'm aware of, but it's very posh for a place were people are supposed to be being punished.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Oh my god! See what I mean. Our governmental system is screwed in every which way possible. I just can't stand it. Looks like the governor is living pretty darn well

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join