It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family abused for hanging American flag upside down.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Well, based upon that quote you could see it that way. However there were apparently two versions of that story. One from the Kuhns and a young guy who was in the vicinity, and one from the police. My apologies, but I just felt your use of the phrase "look of death" was perhaps a bit extreme, but okay, you have the right to express that opinion and put it that way, for sure. Hopefully I also have the right to say what I think about it.

To be honest with you, when I was a kid (long time ago now), the United States was seen by many around the world as THE standard for citizen's rights. True, it was far from perfect but we saw it as a place where people could say what they thought without getting arrested and so on. But in my opinion this whole situation just stinks and I don't blame US members who are incensed by it.

Regards,

Mike

EDIT: Rather than make a new post, could I ask you or someone to post some kind of reference -- say to a Supreme Court ruling -- clearly stating that in the US, people do not have to provide ID to police upon request? (I assume that this means even verbally?) I'd like to have something to refer to in future, because where I live we are required to carry ID at all times.
edit on 16/12/10 by JustMike because: Obvious.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by Kryties

Well, based upon that quote you could see it that way. However there were apparently two versions of that story. One from the Kuhns and a young guy who was in the vicinity, and one from the police. My apologies, but I just felt your use of the phrase "look of death" was perhaps a bit extreme,

To clarify what meant by it, the deputy was an ex-soldier being asked to go to the house of someone who is descecrating the flag for which he just risked his life for. Add to that the kicking in of the door and the punching of the glass and I had an image of a pissed off deputy in my head, just looking for an excuse to arrest them.

but okay, you have the right to express that opinion and put it that way, for sure. Hopefully I also have the right to say what I think about it.

Absolutely mate, this is a conversation not a courtroom

To be honest with you, when I was a kid (long time ago now), the United States was seen by many around the world as THE standard for citizen's rights.

For so any years I thought this as well - right up until 9/11. I remember sitting up late at night watching Star Trek Voyager and getting annoyed when they cut to a newsflash - then watching it all unfold and even then I distinctly remember saying to myself - "Somethings not right here". I couldn't put my finger on it at the time but the ensuing weeks, months and years proved me right as I watched the country that I had always seen as being the pillar of our civilisation begin to come undone - starting with the Patriot Act.

Anyhoo....I'm a little off-topic now hehe....

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
For those saying the situation changed when they refused to show ID...

The idiot cop should have never been at their house in the first place, let alone demanding to see their ID.

The cop belongs in prison for life.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Here's a bit on ID in America with some case links: flexyourrights.org...
edit on 16-12-2010 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

Adding Busted: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters:

edit on 16-12-2010 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by machines4200

Sounds like another Beckie tripping out.
edit on 16-12-2010 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike

Rather than make a new post, could I ask you or someone to post some kind of reference -- say to a Supreme Court ruling -- clearly stating that in the US, people do not have to provide ID to police upon request?

en.wikipedia.org...

"""The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."""

They were in their home.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Your specific points about the deputy being ex-active-duty-military helps to clarify things. Thank you for that.

And yes -- it also took a while for me to see the "wheels within wheels" (shall we say) of 9/11. It does seem that it was a marker for where things really started going wrong.

By the way, I'm also an Aussie.

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Many thanks for the link and video embed. Very informative and worth bookmarking (which I've done).

reply to post by Pervius

Thank you also for that link. This is good information and something I'll be keeping on hand for future reference. Although I have a full copy of the US constitution and have read it through several times, it's always valuable to see how the US Supreme Court interprets cases within its context.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Thanks for the OP. Someone said it best here; the irony of the situation (constitution in "distress" as played out by the police for voicing that the constitution is in distress) couldn't be more palpable. Also, those so ready to have someone's door kicked in because they (oh jimmy!) don't show respect to the flag may want to consider this point:

"It's amazing to think that Nathaniel unknowingly designed the most iconic flag in world history," said Historical Society of Pennsylvania researcher Maxwell Derosiers, who found the journal in the pocket of a period cheetah-print waistcoat in the organization's basement. "From the American flags that flew over Fort McHenry and Iwo Jima, to the one planted on the surface of the moon, every incarnation of the Stars and Stripes traces its roots to this one very gay article of clothing"

And I mean really gay," Derosiers added. "This was a sleeveless crop top."

www.theonion.com...

ColoradoJens

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Rather it is legal or not I don't know but I for one am happy these ignorant people were abused.lol

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by debz325
Rather it is legal or not I don't know but I for one am happy these ignorant people were abused.lol

Hopefully you think the same thing when someone you care about is abused by a nutjob cop.

Leave the forum posting to the adults and go back to watching oprah.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I can understand when you guys say they refused ID and shut the door in the cops face... but do they really train police to do what ever it takes to get inside a home even if it involves demolishing someones front door and what ever inside? Use your common sence. these people were not fugitives.. were not locking the door to buy them time to go arm them selfs. They were scared out of their pants. I wish i could find out how this all ended...hope they're all ok and i hope that cop accidentaly shoots himself in the leg and bleeds out cuz his radio is low on batterys.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by debz325

Got picked on a lot in school, eh? The fact that you used the word "ignorant" to describe people who are concerned for their country and are flying their flag in accordance with the constitution, shows that you, are, in fact, ignorant. Maybe you should try using a dictionary and thesaurus prior to jumping up to the big 3 syllable words.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join