It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London student 'struck by truncheon' has brain injury

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by chukka
Beware how you choose to spin things, eh?

I'm very aware of how I spin things. That's why I put the extra "s" on the end. It's an attempt to counterbalance the ridiculous pro-thug spin some people are putting on this.

This isn't the "voice of the public", it's an understandably annoyed minority who lost all respect the minute they started acting like thugs. They've managed to do more to destroy any public support they might have had than anything the police have done. I'm very heavily tied up in the education system and most students I know work hard to distance themselves from this rabble. I know for a fact that any student in my field who gets identified as one of the trouble makers has just blown their future in this profession before they've even completed their education.

To the many people gasping at the brutality of the police - go pick up a shield and baton and stand shoulder to shoulder with them for a shift. You're not going to find a group of hippies blowing kisses and throwing flowerpetals at you.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Well .. if you are a student in the UK and don't want to get hit in the head by a cop, then don't go loudly and violently protest about your entitlements having to be cut off and instead go get a job so you can pay for your education the old fashioned way .. through hard work.

The entitlements are gone. The gov't is broke. What part of 'there is no more money' don't these people get? Kicking and screaming and stomping of feet won't magically make the government suddenly have more money. It doesn't work that way.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Well .. if you are a student in the UK and don't want to get hit in the head by a cop, then don't go loudly and violently protest about your entitlements having to be cut off and instead go get a job so you can pay for your education the old fashioned way .. through hard work.

So we should sit at home and let the government make stupid decisions then?

Also... Not everyone can get a job. So yeah check your facts please.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
So we should sit at home and let the government make stupid decisions then?

Again .. what part of 'there is no more money' don't you get? Stomp feet .. break windows .. smash cars ... yell ... but in the end there is NO MONEY. The entitlement program is BROKEN. NO MONEY IS LEFT.

Also... Not everyone can get a job. So yeah check your facts please.

Have they even tried? Doubt it. There are loans that students can take out and payback later. And there is the military .. work and get paid and earn money for school. Corporations will pay for students to go to school if they agree to work for the corporation when they get out of college for a certain number of years. It can be done. People all over the world do it. So yeah .. check your facts please.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
The Police had every right.

Not only where those students out of control, they urinated on the statue of winston churchill, pulled off flags off the war memorial.

A beat down was required, to keep law and order.

Yes until it is you or your kid on the receiving end. I have seen police go beserk anbd attack the guilty AND the innocent! I was a student in London 30 years ago.

At least the US cops state "protect and serve" on their vehicles. Who will protect demonstrators from the police? Britian has never been a Stalinist country.

Britain has no serious manufacturing base. Most of our money is made from intellectual capital. Shall we import people to fill our intellectual posts in 20 years time because no one can afford to go to university?

Why don't you go back to Russia or china?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5
Britain has no serious manufacturing base. Most of our money is made from intellectual capital. Shall we import people to fill our intellectual posts in 20 years time because no one can afford to go to university?

I think the best thing the goverment could do would be to implement some kind of government-backed loan scheme. All full time students could be automatically eligible for this loan to cover the fees in full, and then they could start paying it back when they are earning over £20k p/a. If they don't earn that much then they never make payments on the loan.

Surely if they made some kind of system like this, then there wouldn't need to be this big uprising and everyone would be able to go to University provided they get the grades.
edit on 11-12-2010 by EvillerBob because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

And there's a reason THERE'S NO MONEY.

And suggesting that students join the military or corporations is a tad selfish, considering it's these people who are responsible for the lack of money. It's like a snake eating its own tail.

Maybe it's this attitude that drives people to smash windows?

As for me, i protest, but don't take part in any violence. The cuts don't even affect my time in university BUT my sister doesn't stand a chance now, without huge debt and limited universities. I'm not selfish, I want to work, but can't get a job either from being 'over-qualified' or the jobs being taken by the people who are also out of work.

Honestly man, we're not all selfish, violent, idiots - some of us DO want to return our debt back to society, find a post-grad job and work hard. But the harder it is to do this... the bigger than consequences.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by EvillerBob

I'm very aware of how I spin things. That's why I put the extra "s" on the end. It's an attempt to counterbalance the ridiculous pro-thug spin some people are putting on this.

So you lied, by your own admission, for your own ends. Says it all really.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Police are not supose to hit anyone in the head with a truncheon. Does anyone here remeber blair Peach? I do.
So let us suppose that this guy's mate decide to get revenge on his behalf.... So they get a copper. Hooray. Except it was not the copper that hit the guy. It was some poor innocent working man or woman.

Can you see the point?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

To whom did he refuse? Was it a Police medic or was it fully qualified London Ambulance Service Staff?

Neither, he was offered an ambulance by a policeman and from the source it appears that it was the one who had hit him.

People do very strange, inexplicable and crazy-ass things when they have head injuries, which could well explain his refusal.

I know. The police could have detained him and forced him into an ambulance but I'm sure plenty of people would have complained about that as well.

A journalist on BBC News said that he was in the area at the time of the protests and he jokingly said to a police officer "haven't you got any water cannons?". The officer glared at him and said "it's called the right to protest". Not all coppers are the Nazi lunatics that some people in this thread are trying to make them out to be.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
reply to post by FlyersFan

And there's a reason THERE'S NO MONEY.

And suggesting that students join the military or corporations is a tad selfish, considering it's these people who are responsible for the lack of money.
Maybe it's this attitude that drives people to smash windows?

The reason theres no money is because bastards like Sir Philip Green dont pay their taxes.
Why not protest against something REALLY injust for once, like that.

The corporations arnt responsable for lack of money, its the fact the few bastards at the top dont pay a tenth of what they should or dont pay at all and the HMCR don't hound them enough, Philip Green of Vodafone owes the state billions of pounds in lost revenues.

The youth of today have my permission to wreck the #ers car when they like. Go and damage his house, not monuments to dead politicians.
Someone should educate the poor ignorant students as to whom is REALLY to blame for the economic decline of England.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

reply to post by EvillerBob

So you lied, by your own admission, for your own ends. Says it all really.

Yes, absolutely. You're perfectly happy when they do it, but not when I do it? Selective enforcement? That's called hypocrisy. I enjoy giving people opportunities to prove it, too

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by WHOS READY
and a lil piggy got stamped on by his own horse... isn't karma great

Hmmm, someone who believes in karma and is, seemingly, glad someone got injured.

You better make sure your will and insurance is up to date.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join